Blue Lock

Fed-Kun's army
I'm kind of impressed by how well this pulls off the "death game" atmosphere without any actual murder involved. I guess you could make the format work for any subject where failure is widely regarded to be as grave a consequence as death, huh?

Aggregator gang
I want a anime adaptation of this :D its so cool i feel like kamisama no iuutori again

HYPE!

Its good but do these authors even watch football? The last world cup winner France's forward was fucking Giroud and Crotia had Mandzukic and Kramaric. A creative midfielder or a fast wing player is more important than a forvard. And Japan got eliminated against Belgium because of their defense not forvard. Art is amazing i loved it

@jolynehoestar When they put the emphasis on the striker I started to believe that this will be a manga moreso about the mythos and fiction surrounding football rather than the technical details of the sport. Then they started talking about being a selfish forward (which some are, whilst others are more focused on creating plays).

After all the strikers are who tend to be the most "hype" for the fans watching at home. It does not mean they are the most important in the game, every position has its own role, but they are the ones associated the most with scoring goals.

Giant Killing is the best football manga currently IMO, and whilst I love the art of this one I doubt I'll like the characters and football as much.

Funnily enough I think they could get a similar form of death game by simply making a slightly fictionalised version of the European clubs. They really love stabbing eachother in the back haha. Plus there's enough dirty money there to make Scrooge McDuck jealous.

All in all I suspect this will be a shounen manga which focuses more on a fantastical version of football than the actual sport, and which is going to heavily favour Japan's odds despite prior history. It would honestly be a surprise if this didn't end with them winning the world finals and the intergalactic football league as well.

@Orange_Orange You're absolutely right. In this manga's way Messi should've won 3 World Cups. I think battle between Liverpool and Man City this year can make a good manga or maybe a story about Tottenham Heung-min Son as protagonist.

I don't enjoy watching sport on TV but I'm enjoying this manga it's creative and interesting the art is fantastic I don't care if it's realistic when it comes to professional soccer, some if the themes it hits in have truth to them regardless.

@jolynehoestar

I don't think that's true. The thing about Japanese football is that, historically, the national team is excellent in the middle third but struggles mightily at the ends. They're known for racking up huge possession time and high passing rates without actually winning games against good opponents. It's an exaggeration, but not THAT much of one, to say that the team doesn't really have forwards or fullbacks but converted midfielders (and this is in fact partially a product of their training program--which emphasizes ball control--and culture, even beyond some vague notion that Japanese are pressured not to be selfish, e.g. in the hugely popular Captain Tsubasa, the protagonist was a midfielder, hence most kids wanted to be midfielders). This is the reason for the obsession with strikers: the team lacks a true breakthrough threat that can get them past sturdy defenses (though I would argue that the fact that it takes forever for them to fully clear the ball on defense is just as much of a problem--if they were able to really clamp down on attacks instead of giving opponents potentially three or four chances per major attack, even if they didn't have a striker, they could just be Italy). Contrariwise, Argentina's problem has rarely been lack of individual talent during Messi's career, even setting aside the man himself. Besides which, the probability of winning a single elimination bracket with 16 teams is almost never that high, even if you're the strongest team in the world--even if they've looked terribly disjointed at times, their World Cup placement record is really not bad.

The art is phenomenal, reminds me of Haikyuu in the best of ways. I can't wait to see more of this manga get translated

Artist is the same as Dolly Kill Kill, get ready for kickass action scenes and intense expressions

I went and read Dolly Kill Kill just because I wanted to see more of that artist's drawings, I'm really hyped for this

about irl football, it is never a sport where 1 player can absolutely bring you a promised world cup, so this manga is not realistic.
it's funny but not a weird concept for a manga, a story where they exaggerate the importance of striker, and so far it's quite entertaining. kinda edgy tho.

Double-page supporter
i'm in love with this mangas art i don't really care about much else

@dend08

It's not unrealistic at all, they're training only forwards because they believe that Japan has the best forwards world wide, but just that those forwards can't take initiatives when needed and therefore they kept losing world cups.
Also it may as well be the case this is a "prototype/test" training. And if this becomes successful, I'm sure they will do it for each and every position in the entire game with different set of people, so they can have the best players in each positions.

@dend08 building a team around talented striker isn't anything new in football. In Barcelona and Argentina National Team, both of them build strategy around Messi. Well yes, they haven't win any world cup yet with such strategy, but this manga talk about producing striker more powerful than any striker in the world. So yeah, there are some degree of realism in there.

but i agree tho it is kinda edgy lol

Users who are viewing this thread