Blue Period - Vol. 5 Ch. 20 - Our Color Blue

@bumblebea agree with your points about Ryuji possibly being trans (I am also, though not transfem). I think it's interesting to keep in mind that concepts of gender and transness are different in Japanese culture. I'm more familiar with Chinese culture so I can't speak too much to that, but it's also likely that 1. the author doesn't have the same concept of transness as we do and won't think to represent Ryuji that way, or 2. for the same reasons Ryuji may not conceptualize themselves and their gender that way either. I think there's a strong subgroup in China who use she/her but would likely identify as transmasc in the West. However, it's also true that Japan is much more influenced by Western culture than China is. AFAIK, Japanese also largely uses less gendered third person language than English so there isn't this constant reinforcement of he and him that's happening in English translations.

All that said, in the context of discussing with a Western audience I'd still use they/them and leave how Ryuji would identify unknown (more inclined to think they would identify as transfeminine, though). I don't want to get into it, but this has nothing to do with "left wing bigots", as another user has said... but I think that person's comment is representative of the fact the userbase of this website is not particularly progressive regarding trans or other lgbt people.

Users who are viewing this thread