Bocchi-sensei! Teach me Scanlation!

Dex-chan lover
@IvoryPuma Honestly? The easiest way to learn Japanese is to simply study every day, no matter how little. I started almost 8 years ago now. Never studied for any longer than 20 minutes a day and probably skipped a month or two every now and then. Even so I can still recognize certain whole sentences at a glance and can read katakana/hiragana/(some)kanji with relative ease. It certainly doesn't always take that long, just depends on whether you're less lazy than I am. But if you start with just that you'll at least be able to see if it's worth it for you personally.

Visit the stackexchange and reddit websites for learning japanese to get some book resources. Definitely get your hands on tools like Anki, Tae Kim's Grammar Guide pdf, and the Genki textbooks(or ebook...) once you at least understand the Japanese syllabary (which is something that took me roughly two weeks to learn) that will be enough to "get you started". Learning a language completely is like trying to get to level 100 in an RPG. You need to set proper expectations before you try it, and don't burn out. Give yourself extremely small goals every once in a while to keep yourself going. When I first got started, one of my goals was to be able to read whatever signs in anime were in katakana, and later it was to recognize certain words characters would say in anime. Nowadays I'm able to follow conversations without looking at the TV soemtimes (but I still haven't gotten through a chapter of Yotsubato! without reference T-T).

You have to remember, you probably spent several years as a child not knowing how to read. Why would it take any less to learn how to do it all over again? Just be glad you don't live in the 90s, nowadays you can get 100% of these resources I just named for free, and you could have it all downloaded within a few minutes after reading this. Learning is a privilege! Take advantage!

Dex-chan lover
@calvitre
thank you very much, I'll do my best with it
that sounded weirder than I wanted it to, but thank you

Dex-chan lover
I'm gonna have to use GIMP because Photoshop is extremely expensive for me.

y'all should add a chapter on file saving/optimisation
https://mangadex.org/thread/250545

Dex-chan lover
@Angelonius context man....he assumed "what you're doing" is scanlation, since you are here to learn it...and usually it is illegal. Unless you work for one of those industry people like Crunchyroll or Mangaplus.

And Adobe made Photoshop CS2 free a few years back. Wouldn't know how dated it is but it should have all the tools you need without the "opensourceness" of a program like GIMP if you get my drift.
https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/164fas/for_gimp_users_adobe_just_made_cs2_free_for_you/c7so3cb/

Not that I have anything against the latter, being a Blender user myself. I just know some people hate it.

Fed-Kun's army
There’s this for redrawing, AnonBlack’s guide for typesetting, and I’m sure plenty of guides (and even courses for a professional level) teaching translation. But is there one for scanning? Or is that easy enough to do/rectify when redrawing that it doesn’t need any guide?

Dex-chan lover
Wouldn't have known this existed if not for the April fools ad

Users who are viewing this thread