Bocchi the Rock! Gaiden: Kikuri Hiroi's Heavy Drinking Diary - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

Dex-chan lover
The original story shows what she's really like
My point was the first chapter did it's job as a refresher (or introduction for new readers), and the 2nd & 3rd chapters didn't actually tell us anything new.

I don't know if you're expecting a big plot or resolution but I think this is more of a slice of life to see how she lives not how she's "saved"
The main manga series is already SoL with minimal drama, I was hoping for a more serious/mature take on this universe that would complement main series (Stuff like the volume 5 bonus, listed here as chapter 57.5). Also I just really want to see more of Hiroi acting like the mentor she's suppose to be, like it could cover Yoyoko's meeting with Hiroi and how that changed her.
I guess I've been spoiled by the better fanfics (like FBSS & HSS), with strong character development and that address mature themes (alcoholism, anxiety, regret etc) in a respectful way (rather that comedically).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
it's crazy seeing such a realisitc depiction of a hardcore addict in this way. All the strategies, all the justifications, all the specific rituals, all the quirks. Someone did their research... Or they know someone like her :/
even the part where even the people who really really care for you just eventually leaves it alone because they know they can't help you anymore. Boozin' ain't no fun, kids. People who drink so much have a very strong death-drive, a lot more than junkies do, i dare say. She's clearly depressed as fuck and (if this continues to be as realisitc as its been so far) then i'd say a little sui***al, too.

Double-page supporter
Not that it'd necessarily stop her but I think that stuff is a bit more regulated in Japan.
I didn't know that, so I looked it up. Apparently, homebrewing over 1% ABV is illegal, yet the practice is stupidly common and people sell homebrewing kits anyway.
Generally speaking, it's impossible to regulate homebrewing, so most countries that have laws about it only have them so that they can slap you with something on top of whatever else they're actually going after you for. The most they can do is make it hard to buy equipment, but in the case of homebrewing, the equipment for it is basically the same as the equipment for pickling, canning, brewing coffee, and other such endeavors. There's no point in trying to stop it; that's why the only times in history where it's happened in earnest have been moral panics.
Still crazy that apparently people in Japan will have meetups and contests where they share homebrews, as if it's a potluck, or a baking contest. That makes me think the laws really are just on the books for if they want to crack down on you for something unrelated. But, cursory research makes that just a barely-educated guess.
Anyway, it's easy and fun to make free booze at home, and the government can't really stop you no matter where you live, so have fun y'all :)

Users who are viewing this thread