Boku to René to Aoarashi - Vol. 3 Ch. 18 - Soichi and Seiran sensei

Dex-chan lover
For those who hate the mom, I guess you'd prefer the earlier mistranslation(?) of her dying in hindsight, haha.

I'm guessing it should have been something like "Mom left" being interpreted as her passing away (somehow? I don't know Japanese).

But who knows, maybe the old TL read ahead and hated her so much they retroactively erased her existence, or perhaps we're discreetly dealing with the paranormal here...

Group Leader
For those who hate the mom, I guess you'd prefer the earlier mistranslation(?) of her dying in hindsight, haha.

I'm guessing it should have been something like "Mom left" being interpreted as her passing away (somehow? I don't know Japanese).

But who knows, maybe the old TL read ahead and hated her so much they retroactively erased her existence, or perhaps we're discreetly dealing with the paranormal here...
I went back to look at the raws and found that the line is "okaa-san ga inaku natta", or literally "mom was gone". It seems that the previous translator misinterpreted exactly what that meant, although to be fair this wording is indeed often used as a euphemism for death.

Group Leader
I went back to look at the raws and found that the line is "okaa-san ga inaku natta", or literally "mom was gone". It seems that the previous translator misinterpreted exactly what that meant, although to be fair this wording is indeed often used as a euphemism for death.
Of course...a "rookie" mistake, but the ambiguity of the context made the translator think she had died (even thoughit was unlikely she had died off screen).

I was a bit confused reading this chapter; this really clears it up.

Dex-chan lover
Of course...a "rookie" mistake, but the ambiguity of the context made the translator think she had died (even though it was unlikely she had died off screen).
What makes it extra odd is the language after that mistranslation ("You drove her out!") implies she did indeed leave and not pass away. Seems like more of a blunder than anything else, but an odd one.

Dex-chan lover
It was odd seeing the Mom return. I forgot that the death thing was a mistranslation since it had been a bit since I read/re-read this. Kind of feels bad to say, but that mistranslation does kind of make her character seem less hate-able in hindsight lol.

Users who are viewing this thread