Bokutachi ga Yarimashita - Vol. 9 Ch. 87 - If That Day Comes

jak

Contributor
This was really good until the last like 2 volumes and then it went downhill fast to a shitty ass ending.

Fed-Kun's army
I don't know how to feel about this ending.
Last chapter, Paisen told Tobio that he could bear with the guilt if he found something he could give to other people to atone for his sins.
But... nothing came out of it ?

And what did the two last pages meant ?
Are we supposed to understand that deep down, he enjoyed seeing them die and therefor, deserve what's happening to him ?
I mean, it would go against everything we saw up until now, but how else are we supposed to interpret these pages

Fed-Kun's army
@Asta This is something can easily be missed. Reread chapter 6. You'll see that Tobio actually noticed the last bomb Paisen placed actually close to the gas tank. And he didn't do anything about it. Now with what shown in the last 2 pages, it's implying that he was actually hoping for the explosion to happen. So for the other 3 guys, that explosion wasn't something they actually expected to happen, and the death are very much accident, but for Tobio, he was anticipating that and which is why he is feeling a lot more guilty than them. In a way, he is definitely more responsible for those deaths because he actually doesn't do anything about that particular bomb when he actually can

The ending of the manga turned out weird, a bit rushed if you will. I think they could have developed on a few more things.
I really enjoyed the part of the incident and the whole running away thing 8/10

The things Paisen said last chapter were pretty much meaningless lip service, it barely even made sense. He said those things for his own benefit more than for Tobio's. He would convince himself of anything to make himself believe that he deserves a fresh start.

Tobio's been traumatised for over 10 years, he's suicidal. He killed 10 people. That doesn't just go away, it was always going to end poorly. I was actually surprised he didn't kill himself.

Contributor
@puppeto4 Oh wow, I didn't even remember that. That puts the ending, and the series, more into perspective...

As for my personal thoughts on the ending... Yeah I expected about as much. An unsatisfying ending, but appropriate for the series. The mangaka has a lot of these series where the ending is treated more like an opportunity to think more about the matters brought up rather than wrapping up loose ends and feeling like the story has concluded. I personally prefer the latter, because a lot of people just don't like thinking too hard about their comics, but doing a deep dive into why something felt bad is a good exercise every once in a while.

So, why do I not feel satisfied with the ending? I guess that it's cause my gut instinct says that the mangaka is just leaving this open just for the sake of being unsettling, and that if anyone deserves to find some resolution, it would be the MC. That last fact that puppeto4 brought up does change that a lot actually, now that we know that he actually did know what was going to happen and even kind of wanted it to. There are some loose ends, and while I am generally opposed to people who don't even think about more than what the author has explicitly stated, then blame them for plot holes that literally would have been resolved if they expended a single neuron to connect the dots, in this case, it's hard to tell whether this feeling of dissatisfaction is because of a ton of implicit details or the mangaka intentionally being an ass.

Anyways, thank you for these translations! It's been a ride

I get the point now a group of friends wanting an exciting extraordinary life now just hoping for an ordinary one

Fed-Kun's army
From the looks of things, I think a lot of folks are missing the point, through no fault of their own; they just don't have a reference for it.

No matter what, no matter how much he tries to make a new start, their lives (especially for Tobio and Paisen) are going to be defined by the explosion. Every time he feels happy it's going to come along with feelings of being undeserving and a wreck of a human being.

This is perhaps heavier than anybody wants to read on a comic forum, but
I know this because every time I feel ecstatic I remember holding my son as he died

Dex-chan lover
can someone point me to the chapters where that dude with black hair fucked that pregnant girl?

thanks hommies

Group Leader
@kronix don't know which one you're talking about, but it should be chapter 23

Anyways it was an open ending, didn't answer any questions instead made more, but it had blended well with the manga's theme from the beginning I guess

Users who are viewing this thread