Boy's Abyss - Vol. 14 Ch. 131 - Nothing

Dex-chan lover
I'm wondering if I'm the only one that shouted "I KNEW IT! I KNEW SHE WAS STILL ALIVE!" when Reiji saw the hallucination of Yuko as the bag at the water's edge. Had me completely fooled there.

Dex-chan lover
I understand the context, but I'm still conflicted between interpreting this "I suck" phrase as
  • I am bad at feeling something / I am incapable of feeling, or just
  • I am trash / I hate myself
that's why I'm curious what was the Japanese word used here
was it 下手だ or くそだ or other word?
not an American here, so that phrase does not hit me well
They're both bro, no need to overthink something that simple

Dex-chan lover
It keeps confirming she's dead but she's survived death more than twice that I feel like it's not over, man. I just- So anti climatic if it's really true she is

Dex-chan lover
They're both bro, no need to overthink something that simple
well I'm just curious
as long as I feel that there is still no definite answer, this curiosity will keep scratching behind my head :wtf:

Dex-chan lover
well I'm just curious
as long as I feel that there is still no definite answer, this curiosity will keep scratching behind my head :wtf:
There's not an answer for everything in the world. Even if the author did write in a way or another, it's not like you need to interpret that phrase the way the author wanted you to.

Dex-chan lover
Wait just a second. Yuko said he doesn't get hit or screamed at but he actually did! Does that mean maybe the only reason Yuko got together with Kazumasa's dad was because she knew he's scum and will start hitting her and her son, causing him the same trauma she did? Or am I overthinking things?

Dex-chan lover
There's not an answer for everything in the world. Even if the author did write in a way or another, it's not like you need to interpret that phrase the way the author wanted you to.
well, I still need to see what the author wrote first for that
it's like hearing something secondhand and then make an assumption based on that, it's not good
for me it's better if I find the source first, and then make my interpretation from that

Dex-chan lover
I'm all down for it. If Yuko is really dead, I want to see which direction the story goes, because Yuko was the only driving force in Reiji's life. Now that's she's gone it's going to be extremely difficult for Reiji.

Dex-chan lover
Unless she's alive I don't see how it can go on for much longer but well authors are surprisingly good at thinking up bullshit

Dex-chan lover
Wait just a second. Yuko said he doesn't get hit or screamed at but he actually did! Does that mean maybe the only reason Yuko got together with Kazumasa's dad was because she knew he's scum and will start hitting her and her son, causing him the same trauma she did? Or am I overthinking things?
These are not flashbacks. Reiji is having a self conversation with himself to have peace in mind.

Yuko's dad died during the summer of the beach chapter (that's why Yuko's brother returned home, to give condolences).
There's a few years more until the beatings start. So if Yuko's talking to kid Reiji makes sense this context. Also justifies her future actions. And overall, makes sense.

Fed-Kun's army
I understand the context, but I'm still conflicted between interpreting this "I suck" phrase as
  • I am bad at feeling something / I am incapable of feeling, or just
  • I am trash / I hate myself
that's why I'm curious what was the Japanese word used here
was it 下手だ or くそだ or other word?
not an American here, so that phrase does not hit me well
You do realize translation is never a 1 to 1 translation right? I'm not American either but all you had to do was look up a dictionary definition of the word suck to get an answer.

''suck verb (BE BAD)​

[ I ] mainly US slang
If someone or something sucks, that person or thing is bad or unpleasant''
There's not a direct translation of the phrase ''I suck'' into Japanese so whatever he actually said in Japanese is irrelevant since the same thing is being conveyed.

Fed-Kun's army
It keeps confirming she's dead but she's survived death more than twice that I feel like it's not over, man. I just- So anti climatic if it's really true she is
Last chapter people were talking about how she couldn't be dead cause you didn't see her, and now that he's confirmed it with his own eyes people still doesn't think she's dead. It's really weird how people think the author would do something so grand with her death when really everything big and awful that happens in this manga just happens, often without a proper resolution to it.
EDIT: I just re-read and realized I was wrong, and he doesn't actually see her but I still stand by the other stuff.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
well, I still need to see what the author wrote first for that
it's like hearing something secondhand and then make an assumption based on that, it's not good
for me it's better if I find the source first, and then make my interpretation from that
In the original text he says ''俺なにも悲しくない. ひでえよ.'' Which if literally translated would be ''I don't feel sad at all. I'm cruel(any other definition of the word ひどい)'', which means the same thing as ''I still feel nothing. I suck.''

Dex-chan lover
In the original text he says ''俺なにも悲しくない. ひでえよ.'' Which if literally translated would be ''I don't feel sad at all. I'm cruel(any other definition of the word ひどい)'', which means the same thing as ''I still feel nothing. I suck.''

I legit I don't understand why you (and others to be fair) are so triggered about this dude asking a simple question.
He stated multiple times he understands the context behind it, he just wanted to know what the original word used here was, instead of hitting him with your passive-aggressive replies you could have either written this from the very beginning or ignored his comment and move on... and by the way, I'm cruel/terrible may have the same context here, but it's way harsher than "I suck" in my opinion, feel free to disagree.

Dex-chan lover
You do realize translation is never a 1 to 1 translation right? I'm not American either but all you had to do was look up a dictionary definition of the word suck to get an answer.
well, yeah, that's why I'm curious of what the original Japanese is, because it is not 1-to-1
because depending on how I say the word, the meaning can change

''suck verb (BE BAD)​

[ I ] mainly US slang
If someone or something sucks, that person or thing is bad or unpleasant''
There's not a direct translation of the phrase ''I suck'' into Japanese so whatever he actually said in Japanese is irrelevant since the same thing is being conveyed.
yes, I did look up to the Internet first before asking
and like I said, my impression from the definition is more about disappointed at doing something
not necessarily about hating oneself,
that's why, I said, I'm curious of what the original word
even the example given in your reference is just "Man, this job sucks!", like so

thank you,
see, I would more prefer it like you say it "I'm cruel" like that
because I feel like ひでえ is more like "I'm awful" rather than "I suck"
for me, it give more sense of resentment
but then again, that is just my preference

Fed-Kun's army
I legit I don't understand why you (and others to be fair) are so triggered about this dude asking a simple question.
He stated multiple times he understands the context behind it, he just wanted to know what the original word used here was, instead of hitting him with your passive-aggressive replies you could have either written this from the very beginning or ignored his comment and move on... and by the way, I'm cruel/terrible may have the same context here, but it's way harsher than "I suck" in my opinion, feel free to disagree.
I haven't written a single message in a passive agressive way, atleast that's never been my intention but tone is often misinterpreted online. They originally said to begin with they didn't understand why they used the phrase ''I suck'' and seemed to misunderstand the words usage overall to mean something like ''I am bad at X''. I only looked up the original text to begin with because I wanted to give them the original meaning and show how the the original text and translation ends up meaning the same thing though with different wording. Though I disagree with you both on thinking ''I am cruel/awful'' would be better, just because no one really talks like that in English which is why literal Japanese translations always come off as pretty janky.
yes, I did look up to the Internet first before asking
and like I said, my impression from the definition is more about disappointed at doing something
not necessarily about hating oneself,
that's why, I said, I'm curious of what the original word
even the example given in your reference is just "Man, this job sucks!", like so

thank you,
see, I would more prefer it like you say it "I'm cruel" like that
because I feel like ひでえ is more like "I'm awful" rather than "I suck"
for me, it give more sense of resentment
but then again, that is just my preference
Right above the example sentence it says ''If someone or something sucks'', meaning you can use the word to describe something you dislike or a person. Like I said above I do think ''I suck'' works better because the character is a teenager, and that's how they usually talk in English.

Dex-chan lover
Last chapter people were talking about how she couldn't be dead cause you didn't see her, and now that he's confirmed it with his own eyes people still doesn't think she's dead. It's really weird how people think the author would do something so grand with her death when really everything big and awful that happens in this manga just happens, often without a proper resolution to it.
EDIT: I just re-read and realized I was wrong, and he doesn't actually see her but I still stand by the other stuff.
Dude.... She escaped death TWICE. From running over by the car and falling with her boyfriend at the time. It's not shocking that I and some readers are in disbelief. She is someone who caused that much pain to others that it just ended like..... that. Just being told she gone. The woman is like a starfish who won't die no matter how much you get rid of it.

Users who are viewing this thread