By Spring

@Okuyasusenpai the most similar ones? Musume no Tomodachi (it's about to end very soon too) and Chi no Wadachi (kinda similar in the mom-child relationships, but a lot more disturbing and a lil bit less wholesome-ish. But considering Shuzo Oshimi's past works, it will have a happy end for MC nevertheless).

I was going to say Boy's Abyss, but it's a suffering series without a happy conclusion in the horizon.

redactors in the comments upset that this story had a quick, conclusive ending instead of dragging on for 7 billion chapters

edit: go back to reddit, dorks

@infernoWRLD if we go by this tweet, it seems like that was the case. Need to translate the tweet, but it seems she had chapters she wanted to do.
https://twitter.com/ei_yuzuki/status/1327094747471650816?s=19

Despite the rushed ending I still enjoyed the series and think the conclusion went well given the axe.

I wish there were more romance mangas out there with harsh real world situations like this. If anyone has any recommendations feel free to drop some.

Definitely had the feeling it was rushed towards the end, but still pulled out a win the way it ended. I'll miss the story and the unexpected twists. Wished it could have been fleshed out further. Just really glad it didn't end in deep tragedy.

honestly, it was a bit rushed but if it didn't it would be a dark tragedy and ion like those, so let's just keep this as is.

When we started to read this, everybody was talking about how this could have some potential, then some chapters passed and we still believed that at some point it would pay off. Then it ended and we were still waiting this to get better. This manga is mediocre in most of aspects, the strong points of the manga was the sex scenes with the mom, other than that you just keep waiting the story to improve but it never happens.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Looks like the artist tweeted saying:
https://twitter.com/maki_884/status/1342259003150090240

最終巻は惣太とハルのその後を描いた描き下ろし漫画や設定画など盛りだくさんなんですよ
The new volume will be filled with new manga and setting pictures depicting Haru's and souta's story after "By Spring".

電子共に巻末おまけあります
The Electronic version will have additional omake.

Any of the TLs know when will be able to see releases of this?

Final thoughts: axe and pacing management clearly hurt a lot the story (some of the early chapters could have been skipped, especially the third) and the rush started to be felt after chapter 12, where it was reduced to 22 pages per chapter), but authors did the best they could with such a constraint. It was obvious they had more ideas in mind. I think authors had planned this manga for a 30 chapters' series.
A good thing: they're staying in the magazine and will announce her next work soon. That means editorial liked their style and passed the first trial for any rookie mangaka.

Keep in mind two important things: the magazine By Spring was published into, the Big Comic Superior, is the Shogakukan equivalent to Shueisha' s Jump Giga or the deceased Akamaru Jump. It's mostly an entry level magazine for novel authors with one or three series from veteran authors (ie: Hiroya Oku, Shuzo Oshimi) or known franchises (ie: Gundam Thunderbolt) that carry the magazine. I've watched other manga from there that had worse fates than this one, didn't manage to last a full year and had their authors fired (What hapoened to BABEL was unforgivable: it tanked hard to the point it was demoted to the digital edition) . And doing backtrack record, the authors entered to the magazine via the Superior Darupana program (an entry application for rookie authors who want to publish their first manga as professionals). So, it was actually meant to be a shortlived manga from the scratch, and the measure to do a critic or a review can't be the same. So, i think in the end, they did a pretty good job for their first seinen manga, despite of the irregular pacing and panel management, the 5 hiatuses the authors took and the rush in the end and are staying there.

It could have been better? Yeah, a whole fucking lot. But i won't measure a rookie manga with the same measurement a manga from more experienced authors :)ahem: Sasuga :ahem: Seo) is measured. Authors who start from scratch like BS's duo without ever being assistants from a popular mangaka never had their first manga being groundbreaking hits. Even Akira Toriyama, Masami Kurumada, Masashi Kishimoto (to mention some mangaka that started without being assistants before and applied via contests or first comic applications for rookie mangaka) had like two failures before hitting the jackpot.

Btw, i won't count PapaGay as their 1st pro manga. It was published in Pixiv and then replicated by a BL magazine from Ichijinsha.

@WhisCalifa69
It is very well done for a first manga.
It quickly became my favorite as the story went on.
I reread it several times but I really could not pinpoint what it did right to keep my attention until the 2nd to last chapter; Someone pointed out that the tone shifted several times and I noticed the mom acted very cartoony compared to her previous self especially after
haru barged in
. It did handle its tone in different sections of the story.
I might have also liked this manga because there were two sides of the story that were shown for each main character: Haru, Yuri, the mom and Souta.
Haru's realization that she might have been acting out of line with her parents
showed this really nicely at the end. I was hoping for
The mom to receive some sort redemption, like seeing her son grow up or seeing haru's and souta's relationship bloom and her cheering them on.
Maybe I liked this because they focused on non-verbal communication when they changed their mood.

Users who are viewing this thread