By the Grace of the Gods - Vol. 5 Ch. 21

Group Leader
He already took care of most, if not all, the harmful microbes or virus that developed in ten latrine pits. The cleaning job now also pays decently. The kids may be living in the slums, but I don't think they are exactly homeless. None of them look abused nor malnourished. He only just got independent, I don't think he should be taking someone under his wing and when he barely knows anything about the world, and his fighting style and magic development aren't exactly /proper/ by this world's standards.

Don't worry about remembering their names: None of them are important.

Contributor
It's definitely the fault of his decades of harsh capitalist Japanese upbringing, but, "It would RUIN these pre-teen kids if they didn't have to make money by arduously cleaning latrines every day," is a pretty strange take. >_>; Like, it's already demonstrably not a stable occupation and doesn't lead up to any other sort of work as far as experience and ability go...? And it's literally the shittiest job in town.

I'm sad he hasn't been able to escape some of the toxic thinking about "worthiness" that killed him in the first place. With his "must be independent" impulse for himself, too—I don't want him to be some tragic figure who was just too scarred to ever feel safe feeling safe and is doomed to perpetuate the harshness he was raised in, despite being fundamentally a nice person.

Thought i was being too severe on the story for finding MC to be cringy af with his stupid logic. Happy to see I'm not the only one.
Seriously, how deranged would someone have tobe to think that beating some sense into adults trying to steal from children is too harsh but helping children when you have the opportunity will "hinder" their development.

Dex-chan lover
So it all comes back to the latrines.
Gov't underpays latrine cleaners -> child laborers quit the job and become adventurers -> kids unable to secure kills become scavengers -> thugs among the adventurers accuse them of stealing -> MC rescues the kids -> MC tells the kids that the latrine job is now an adventurer quest that pays well -> kids probably going back to the latrines

Dex-chan lover
I honestly thought ryouma would train them instead of letting go back to t he lattrines where they can get seriously sick. Knowing how to fight in that world is very valuable

Dex-chan lover
In the early chapter the gods were commenting on how gods in Japan are unfair to their people... and then we see how these kids are treated

He really should have helped them, give them a gold coin or two to have them set up for a while. However, he did give them the jobs they already did before, and it pays a lot more now.

Fed-Kun's army
He should be helping these kids out. He should just spare some money and train them. Hell, they could even live in the mine shaft with him! He should be helping these kids out!

Is it racist that the author made the black kid of the gorilla race or am I overthinking things?

Everyone’s saying that Ryoma should’ve helped those kids but if he did give them some small gold coins then they might become reliant on it and might think Ryoma would give them more money, and either way what Ryoma said is right he shouldn’t interfere or it will (maybe) stunt their growth. I’m not saying that if you don’t think this way your wrong, it’s your own opinion, but this is just what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread