Calbania Monogatari

Aggregator gang
Mangaupdates say that this is an early work by TONO, from 1993.

It's just as charming and whimsical as her later works. She doesn't age I swear.

I found this series cause it was tagged 'Shoujo Ai' for the first few chapters. I love it to death regardless of that, but now I can't stop wishing that Eque and Queen Tania would get some Yuri on.

It is a beautifully gay-positive series in addition to being just plain delightful, in any case.

I hadn't realized this was picked up! Had my eye on it for a while now and I'm so glad!! Thank you for the translation!!

Yikes, there goes my benefit of the doubt. The author's attempt at portraying the "gay pedophile who drugs children and tries to rape them" in an ultimately positive light is phenomenally shitty.

I really like this manga the characters are so cute and the storytelling is so refreshing but like regionala said there are some things about it that are problematic.

Well I like this manga, I think people have issue with Ryan (i do too but to a lesser extent)

He had a shitty childhood, and was seduced by a prostitute at a very young age and then directly after given too much power/money/freedom. Im pretty sure he was a teenager when he first meets Esqe (age 11). And while he did drug her with the intention of sleeping with her, I don't think he would have raped her(i'd like to believe he isn't that messed up) - it would have gone through only as a successful seduction or not at all. I do find it gross that he had a harem of younger boys though. Also the skewed maturity of the characters in this world has to be taken into consideration - like tania's mother gave birth at 14... And I believe Tania is around 16, and Esqe is a little bit younger so 15. Which makes sense as she is said to be still growing. So what I mean to say is that this story is a bit exaggerated and Ryan is portrayed after that as a surprisingly stable and intelligent character (is that retconning tho? lol)

What I like about this manga is that while there are romanticish chapters, there is no clear pairing for Esqe - just 1 or 2 possibilities, and yet somehow I'm hooked. That 'somehow im hooked' is my favorite part lol about this manga lool. Its kind of like Natsume yuujinchou or other josei manga like madame joker where every chapter is a small slice into the Karubania world. Part slice of life part mystery. And what makes this even better is that often times the story is told from a side character POV!

Anyways thank you dayment scans, you've introduced me to yet another winner!!

This manga have the best sense of comedy ever 😆 never fail to surprise!
Thank you translator-san!

Users who are viewing this thread