Call of the Night - Ch. 196 - The Ocean Rocks

Dex-chan lover
I love how this is such a melancholy reinterpretation of the stereotypical "beach episode." As usual, the vibes and composition are so on point.

Also, not that there was any doubt, but the focus on the lonely vending machine on the title page really removes any possibility for doubt as to its symbolic and narrative importance within the story.

Dex-chan lover
This has "We are gonna commit lovers double-suicide" energy all over it.
I am very worried for that.
It would be so incredibly tragic if they took all the wrong lessons from Mahiru and Kiku.

I don't think Kotoyama is going to take it in that direction, but I love her ability to surprise me. One thing that always bothered me was a remark that one of the vampires made after she learned about Kiku's death. The one who works at a maid cafe and has the otaku lover. She said that dying with your lover sounded romantic - or something like that.

I always wonder what Kotoyama meant by including that offhand remark. Was it a show of that vampire's ignorance to tragedy? An acknowledgement that there is indeed something romantic about it, tragic though it is? Is it meant to be a statement that average people in some level want that sort of dangerous, firey romance? Or was it completely innocuous?

Of course I could also be completely overthinking it.

Fed-Kun's army
2mantYZ.png

Something about this panel, with all the context leading up to it, really strikes a chord with me. Probably my favorite panel in the entire manga tbqh.

Users who are viewing this thread