Can we have the option to disable DMs from strangers? :implemented:

Dex-chan lover
Hello, as MD grew, there was a flood of new users and alongside them spammers, trolls, scammers, etc. I myself have been targeted by a very dedicated troll who keeps changing accounts for almost two years. To this day, the abuse hasn't stopped. It's so bad that I was forced to ignore the message function entirely.

To give you an idea, this is the type of stuff I'm talking about:

BB6pAQx.jpg
(abusive language warning)

So it would be awesome if you had the possibility to disable DMs from users that aren't in your friend list and/or aren't MD Staff. That would be ideal.

If this cannot be implemented for some reason, could you at least use a different notification icon for messages from friends and MD Staff? That way victims of spam won't have to sift through the rubbish in order to see the important messages.

A third but more "forceful" solution could be disabling DMs to other users (not to staff) from fresh accounts for a month or so. Thank you for your kind understanding and happy new year.

Dex-chan lover
Ouch... Sorry to hear that.
The option to receive messages only from friends is planned:
https://mangadex.org/thread/148705

i thought they were going to work on speeding up this options. In another thread a month or two ago someone was getting similar messages only more often if I remember right.

Double-page supporter
i thought they were going to work on speeding up this options
It took them 3 years to implement email change from settings. 😖

Dex-chan lover
We did it friends. Now we are finally free from the shackles of trolls and spammers. Thank you everyone who supported the idea, helped implement it and worked on it.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
A literal game changer.

And now I'm getting friend requests from strangers who are probably spambots (OK, only one so far, but I expect there will be more), but now there's no way to tell for sure, since they aren't dumb enough to put váginás in their user profiles. Since I stil have to check my notifications every time on the off chance one of them might be genuine, this hasn't solved the problem at all.

Fed-Kun's army
@Sayo_Aisaka
Then don't use this option and let them dm those va fucking gina straight into your inbox.
But I agree, the fundamental problem isn't solved at all. You may want to propose a complete and easy solution to deal with these spam bots.

Double-page supporter
You may want to propose a complete and easy solution to deal with these spam bots.
Limit maximum pending friend requests by 1.
Increase this number for every month since registration.
Make new users to wait 1 week before they can start sending friend requests.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Sayo_Aisaka posted:

And now I'm getting friend requests from strangers who are probably spambots (OK, only one so far, but I expect there will be more), but now there's no way to tell for sure, since they aren't dumb enough to put váginás in their user profiles. Since I stil have to check my notifications every time on the off chance one of them might be genuine, this hasn't solved the problem at all.
Yeah, we obviously expected they would just switch strategies and that this was going to be a temporary stopgap at best. We're not done yet.

Users who are viewing this thread