Chainsaw Man - Vol. 17 Ch. 167 - Super Smooch

Dex-chan lover
"That's right Denji..."
94DH3-zUCaDEvg7t-a7VNjzPREN1qiQiiDebfdO-YeU.png

Double-page supporter
What to make of this chapter?

Well, here are some thoughts that will attempt to bring some kind of critical analysis to this week's events. So first up, let's think within the context of Chainsaw Man. The insinuation for the last few chapters has been that Denji isn't able to become Chainsaw Man because of everything that has happened to him -- his imprisonment, torture (and subsequent death), the loss of Nayuta and his dogs -- his family, in essence -- this is a low point for Denji across the board, and his inability to access Chainsaw Man in this state is indicative of that devastated state. These last couple of chapters have sort of been a broad attempt by Asa/Yoru and the gang to find a way to bring Chainsaw Man back -- for whatever purposes they each individually have -- but so far, they've met with little success. So why do this? What does sexual liberation have to do with Chainsaw Man?

Well, my best guess is that the reawakening of sexual impetus in manga seems to be (from a few manga I've read) a kind of rejuvenation/rebirth for the characters involved -- having sex is an archetypal sign of strength and vigor, and I think that applies across cultures. So, even though Denji didn't exactly have sex here (and what events took place are a bit difficult to ascertain at the present), he did achieve climax, which I think can be linked back to this archetypal idea that having sex, or a healthy libido, is a sign of return to form, or power. But we have to balance this literary phenomenon against the specific context of Chainsaw Man -- i.e., Denji's frustration and guilt over the fact that he has sexual desire when so much terrible stuff has happened to him. What got him into this mess in the first place was his angst over wanting to experience things like the pleasure of eating (sushi) and the pleasure of coitus, and his immediate reaction was to castigate himself over having felt that.

For Denji to have participated in this act then was, in a sense, a sort of liberation from that guilt -- a guilt which I think we can safely extend to the wider contours of being Chainsaw Man as a whole -- he's already said he isn't a hero because he wants to be, but rather, because he likes the attention and fame (particularly from fans of the female persusaion). There's a lot of guilt involved in that though, and I think it's intimately tied up to these feelings of wanting more for himself. That is, if I had to pin it down, the root of these issues. Wanting to have sex is an extension of that -- so for me, Denji and Yoru having this... whatever it is is a bit of a heavy handed attempt by Yoru to give Denji what he wants so that he can release that guilt and go back to being Chainsaw Man -- to accept his want of the good life and move forward instead of beating himself up over it. I could be totally wrong, and if I am, that's okay. I just figured I'd toss my hat into the ring on what has to be one of the most... difficult CSM chapters to parse thus far.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Ok you know what I have a couple of things that I just have to let out, like Denji:
  • Cum Sword
  • Denji's Handjob Virginity Sword
  • Yoru the "back alley sloppy kiss and handjob" devil
  • Can't call Asa/Yoru a femcel anymore, or ay least that's not gonna last longer
Ch 119 is what you're looking for for that flashback of the kiss.
Yoru getting some of her memories coming back... I don't like what that implies with Nayuta.

Lmao at Yoru peacing out while leaving Asa with... the stuff. I can't wait for the memes hahaha.

These last couple of chapters have been CRAZY 🤣

I have no idea how this will be adapted, but then again, Evangelion exists...

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Of0nCoj.png

YOU CALLED ME A MAD MAN, I'M THE SANEST OF YOU LOT, I'M A VISIONARY

People who call this manga random need to shut up and admit they just don't get it, this shit ain't random. Fujimoto is a peak writer

Also,
1. mandatory I saw the shinji reference
2. war wants to claim him as her weapon by making him her lover. they will use him as a chainsawman chainsaw in the last fight. WRITE THAT DOWN.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
War is either gonna continue until she makes Denji his, or we're gonna get Post Nut Clarity Chainsawman.

Double-page supporter
What to make of this chapter? Well, here are some thoughts that will attempt to bring some kind of critical analysis to this week's events. So first up, let's think within the context of Chainsaw Man. The insinuation for the last few chapters has been that Denji isn't able to become Chainsaw Man because of everything that has happened to him -- his imprisonment, torture (and subsequent death), the loss of Nayuta and his dogs -- his family, in essence -- this is a low point for Denji across the board, and his inability to access Chainsaw Man in this state is indicative of that devastated state. These last couple of chapters have sort of been a broad attempt by Asa/Yoru and the gang to find a way to bring Chainsaw Man back -- for whatever purposes they each individually have -- but so far, they've met with little success. So why do this? What does sexual liberation have to do with Chainsaw Man? Well, my best guess is that the reawakening of sexual impetus in manga seems to be (from a few manga I've read) a kind of rejuvenation/rebirth for the characters involved -- having sex is an archetypal sign of strength and vigor, and I think that applies across cultures. So, even though Denji didn't exactly have sex here (and what events took place are a bit difficult to ascertain at the present), he did achieve climax, which I think can be linked back to this archetypal idea that having sex, or a healthy libido, is a sign of return to form, or power. But we have to balance this literary phenomenon against the specific context of Chainsaw Man -- i.e., Denji's frustration and guilt over the fact that he has sexual desire when so much terrible stuff has happened to him. What got him into this mess in the first place was his angst over wanting to experience things like the pleasure of eating (sushi) and the pleasure of coitus, and his immediate reaction was to castigate himself over having felt that. For Denji to have participated in this act then was, in a sense, a sort of liberation from that guilt -- a guilt which I think we can safely extend to the wider contours of being Chainsaw Man as a whole -- he's already said he isn't a hero because he wants to be, but rather, because he likes the attention and fame (particularly from fans of the female persusaion). There's a lot of guilt involved in that though, and I think it's intimately tied up to these feelings of wanting more for himself. That is, if I had to pin it down, the root of these issues. Wanting to have sex is an extension of that -- so for me, Denji and Yoru having this... whatever it is is a bit of a heavy handed attempt by Yoru to give Denji what he wants so that he can release that guilt and go back to being Chainsaw Man -- to accept his want of the good life and move forward instead of beating himself up over it. I could be totally wrong, and if I am, that's okay. I just figured I'd toss my hat into the ring on what has to be one of the most... difficult CSM chapters to parse thus far.
Of course, this assumes that Yoru was trying to arouse/exploit Denji's sexuality... it could also be interpreted the other way, that Denji was just over stimulated in that way and came without Yoru doing anything particular. Like I said, there's definite ambiguity here, and I want to acknowledge that.

Users who are viewing this thread