Chainsaw Man

Contributor
For anyone wondering about new name of Makima, look for Yogen no Nayuta, by the same author! It's here, on mangadex.

Dex-chan lover
10/10. Definitely gonna buy the physical copies if any store nearby sold them...

@UniXD Of course it did, Fire Punch
ends in a massive time-skip of thousands of trillions of years... eons and eons... where there's nothing known remaining and the universe decaying... Definitely KINO

A great embodiment of "show, don't tell", but unfortunately there were times when telling was very necessary but it didn't happen. 8/10

(And a literal OG-TG ending. )

Is it really ok to put the END here, since there is gonna be more in the future or is he doing it like the author of Kengan Asura did? And after ending that one he started a new manga continuing the story in Kengan Omega?

Doesn't seem like an "end" considering they say "Part 1". Also, he's still gotta find best girl, Power and make her remember!

Someone explain what I just read.

Everyone’s talking about how it was a masterpiece, but to me, it started off quite easy to follow, got super convoluted, and then a bunch more shit happened, things got revealed, and then it ended. It almost doesn’t even feel like a real story, like anything the author thought of, he just implemented and loosely tied-in with no real exposition given to the reader (none that makes sense given the context anyways).

Majorly confused, so if someone could dumb this down for me i’d appreciate it. I don’t think I could handle a re-read, but it might be necessary. At this point it’s a 7/10 for me. Art is great. Story is unique. But what the fuck is going on.

Okay I’ve come back after some research and think I can explain things after a certain point.
From reddit: Ok, beginning right after Aki´s death. Makima takes Denji home and he´s suffering so much guilt for killing Aki that he says he doesn´t want to think anymore, just obey her(thus becoming her dog in a metaphoric sense). It was then that Makima reveals that when Denji first died and Pochita became his heart a contract between him and Pochita was made, basically Pochita would give Denji´s his powers in exchange for him showing him his dreams. After Denji’s friends are all killed, and he surrendered his free will to Makima, AND he kills Power the contract was broken(as Denji gave up on all his dreams). It was then that Pochita resurfaced, but on his true form, the four armed goliath thing with the intestine scarf(Makima later reveals that Pochita´s dog form was just the result of him battling the four horsemen and the weapon devils and becoming really damaged in the process, thus becoming that cute dog devil that Denji found).

Makima then says that Pochita was actually really feared in hell due to his ability of erasing devils and their concepts by eating them( for example, eating the Aids devil would erase the concept of aids in the real world as well) and she really wanted his powers for herself in order to erase all bad concepts in the world and, in her words, make it a better place. Thing is, Pochita was fused with Denji when she found him, so she made Denji´s life miserable enough for him to break his contract with Pochita and ressurect him.

Now that Pochita is back on his true form he seems to still want to fulfill Denji´s wishes like eating hamburgers and going on a date. Makima however, wants to defeat Pochita in order to control him(her control abilities only work on those she deems inferior to her) but she gets bodied hard, well, at least until the latest chapter, in which is revealed that Denji´s defeating the gun devil was actually her plan to make everyone admire Chainsaw Man. Since devils are powered by fear, admiration actually fucks them up, so Pochita/Chainsaw Man became really weak and Makima finally defeated him

From me: After chainsawman is killed, Pochita begs Power to help save Denji (Pochita can only do this because Denji drank Power’s blood). Power agrees and is able to resurrect for a short time while she takes Denji’s body to safety. There Power and Denji form a contract, Denji gets Power’s powers but he has to go find the Blood Devil in Hell and turn it into Power again after he kills Makima. This brings Denji back and Kishibe is waiting for him. Denji has a talk with Kobeni which leads him to understanding that his dreams are still possible and not all is hopeless. He goes to fight Makima. Makima kicks his ass, but this was all part of Denji’s plan. The chainsawman Makima was fighting was actually Pochita not Denji (Denji can remove his heart/pochita and it can turn into the chainsaw-devil *we are only just learning about this ability*), and Denji formulated this plan after realizing Makima has never even seen Denji or acknowledged him, just Pochita and Pochita’s ability. Since Makima can only identify beings by smell (which we also just now learn), this allows Denji to sneak up on her and kill her again, because she only knew Pochita’s scent. Denji finally eats Makima, utilizing the Chainsaw-devil’s ability to erase that being from existence and memory. However, this doesn’t erase the control-devil, just Makima. Kishibe finds the reincarnation of the control-devil, Nayuta, and entrusts her to Denji. Kishibe hopes that by leaving her with Denji instead of the government, the control-devil will be able to realize its dreams of having a family. Which it tried to accomplish as Makima, but in a twisted way.

Part 1 ends. Now Part 2 will most likely focus on Denji bringing Power back but finding the Blood-devil in hell.

After better understanding the plot. I can say I still believe this manga deserves a 7/10. Too many deus ex machina’s are used to wrap up obviously fucked-up plot points. The pacing is poor as well, there’s not enough time between arcs or major plot-points to let details sink in.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely worth a read. Especially if you can read it all in one go. But I think most of the people claiming 10/10 or masterpiece are either letting their confusion/hype get the best of them, or are really obsessed with this author’s works.

tl;dr: 7/10. Worth a read. Poor pacing and confusing, but incredibly unique on all fronts. Art may take some time getting used to.

Hopefully this comment helps some folks out!

Users who are viewing this thread