Chitra

@Cloverfr Using race to explain caste is actually the best way to go about it because race and caste dynamics play out in the exact same way. The casteists and racist often use similar tactics and arguments to push their agenda and Brahmins, like white people have the exact same socio-economic positions in society. This isn't to say that all Brahmins or white people are evil, but Brahmin privilege is a real thing and this has played on not only in India, but in other countries with a Hindu population. The state of California recently sued Cisco because the upper level management Brahmins kept discriminating against and harassing lower caste employees. So caste discrimination is not an India only problem.

Literally so funny, it’s like if a manga could be a shitpost (In a good way I swear) and the main character breaks the fourth wall. Honestly it’s so charming and refreshing to read something that’s comedy first and romance second. Still very invested in the possible ships, but glad there’s a manga to turn to when all the other manga’s ship drama stresses me out.

@Wizard_of_Oz i actually agree with all you points. As an indian myself it honestly made me kinda uncomfortable that the author chose to use such a sensetive issue in such a manner.

Contributor
A series which reveals the full extent of my own double-standards.

I kind of enjoy this series. It makes me laugh a lot. And if you swapped the gender of everyone in this story, I would do nothing but decry it as the most horrible human garbage.

Interesting food for thought.

I mean I suppose I still think it's kind of garbage, and indeed it's probably safe to to say it's gleefully self-aware on that front—more that my double-standards have me finding all that to be (as a whole) somewhat endearing instead of repulsive in this case.

(Edit: To be clear, I wrote all of that before I got to the somewhat-uncomfortable insertion of Indian class-system stuff in the most recent chapters. I think it's just not well-thought out on the author's part ("Ah, look at this exotic other country's caste system! It will be great for my fantasy novel!") but the level of cringe is pretty bad. About the same as if someone had used "Aryans" as the term for the people considered pretty.)

(Edit edit: Though that may just be a random awkward moment-in-passing. And doesn't really invalidate what I'd said before, to be sure. Just got shocked for a moment.)

Users who are viewing this thread