Chotto Ippai! - Vol. 5 Ch. 33 - The first time at the market

Group Leader
Fun fact, the author Kayou actually visited this market when she made this chapter. Here's her twitter post: https://twitter.com/kayou_bi/status/1110124651974320129 Thanks for reading!

Fed-Kun's army
Fun fact, the author Kayou actually visited this market when she made this chapter. Here's her twitter post: https://twitter.com/kayou_bi/status/1110124651974320129 Thanks for reading!

This is one of the reason why I mostly prefer more real-world writings compared to fantasy ones. You can feel the effort someone put into their writing and you can learn things from them as well. It's not a rule that fantasy settings are always bad, but most fantasy mangas these days exhibit the lack of experience the creators have and they write based on other fantasy works and games which is very uninteresting IMO.

Fed-Kun's army
@EzioAs To be fair, a lot of the fantasy Manga thrown about these days are based on light novels pandering to a lot trends and, well, fetishes. That's why you get shit like "Slaves" that have more rights and protections than half the people in the real world in order to allow folks to have their Slave fantasy without feeling bad about it. Or "economies" that are simplified to the point of absurdity in order to make modern people feel super special about how their daily knowledge would somehow make the supermen if they were dropped into the fantasy setting.

Respectful attention to detail runs counter to the intended point of the writing.

Fed-Kun's army
@StormTAG yeah, I agree with you. I have more to add but that would derail the thread, so I won't be doing that.

Double-page supporter
Bon appetit seems out of place as a translation, unless it actually said it, either translate to English or keep it as it was. If the word is what I think it is, the majority of readers here know it's meaning from something else and it's meaning can be figured out contextually if people don't. Personally I don't think English has a quick meaningful translation for the word that captures the culture behind it.

Group Leader
@speedysam0 It's suppose to be Itadakimasu! Previously we've joked around and put phrases like "rub a dub dub thanks for the grub", "zoom zoom time to consume" and so on to fit that phrase. But this time we just put bon appetite.

@StormTAG Don't know how many that's truly like that. But there's also the world style choice that make something like moral, economy, or other thing should look like that even if there's no trends.

Thank you so much @LuluDaebak for constantly updating the chapters :)

Personally, I don't really mind with "bon appetit" as translation of itadakimasu because I think it's contextually appropriate. AFAIK, translating is not always translating the literal meaning, but also translating the context, so sometimes it's acceptable to translate something that means different from the original language but still have the same context (especially if there's no appropriate words than can perfectly translate the original meaning like this case).

However, usually translators do leave itadakimasu as is because of it being a common knowledge to manga readers. But ultimately, it's all up to the translator and I'm happy with either one of it.

Fed-Kun's army
i'm eating donut while reading this...

am i gonna get diabetes?

Dex-chan lover
Working as a... How could it even be called? Provider? Sounds really rough.
It really puts it in perspective how long the chain is for food to even reach restaurants or home. Christ, modern society is so fragile it's not even funny.

Dex-chan lover
Huh. The girl in bed getting up is apparently Miyahara, which kinda confused me for a bit because we've never seen her with her hair like that so I was unsure of who it was at first.

Dex-chan lover
@StormTAG @EzioAs
That's why it was so refreshing to me to read "Release That Witch" (the webnovel, not the manga - the manga is... okay and more interesting to just see the characters since there was basically no real art for RTW's webnovel). I swear, the guy that did that must've been a former engineer that got laid off or something because he knew his shit from such a base, foundational level and up that if he wasn't in a line of work like that then he must've researched his ass off.

Some people raised eyebrows over a mechanical engineer having the knowledge he has, but honestly, it's not that far-fetched. Most STEM types that work in such fields tend to have overlapping knowledge and interests and tend to find these fields interesting and study on them. After all, when it came to chemistry, past the basics of what someone might learn in high school or in an introductory college course he didn't have enough knowledge past that to really help him. Which makes sense, that's kinda outside his purview.

If half of all isekais were written even half as well as Release That Witch is, the genre wouldn't be the absolute shitshow that it is. Sadly... It's easier just to throw lolis, kemonomimis and gargantuan-titted walking fanservice characters at you with game mechanics that rarely are like fully functional game mechanics.

Users who are viewing this thread