Citrus + - Vol. 6 Ch. 34 - September 27th

Dex-chan lover
Then we see that even in private Mei is worrying and thinking of how Yuzu is feeling
Isn't this kind of the core of the communication issue at hand? Mei is more open and spoke at length about her feelings when she is not with Yuzu, but when talking with her, she was very curt and dismissive. It's not about logic, it's about feelings, so Yuzu doesn't need a fact check, she needs some pampering. Even if she is being unreasonable.

It really shines through in this chapter, that Mei's EQ is still pretty bad, and so is Yuzu's self-esteem, and the grand engagement declaration didn't actually solve any of their character flaws.

Dex-chan lover
Look I'm not a Mei fan at all but this time I think she did a good job. She confronts Yuzu if she trusts her so little (which I would've done too if my Partner reacts like this) and she also actually asked her friend for help (at work to top it of) That's not something the old Mei would've ever done.

Dex-chan lover
Isn't this kind of the core of the communication issue at hand? Mei is more open and spoke at length about her feelings when she is not with Yuzu, but when talking with her, she was very curt and dismissive. It's not about logic, it's about feelings, so Yuzu doesn't need a fact check, she needs some pampering. Even if she is being unreasonable.

It really shines through in this chapter, that Mei's EQ is still pretty bad, and so is Yuzu's self-esteem, and the grand engagement declaration didn't actually solve any of their character flaws.
She didn't really speak at length? She basically reiterated her conversation with Yuzu. And yes she was exasperated with Yuzu because Yuzu does this quite a bit and this time it's over something so little. Mind you this is after Yuzu just threw her down and started forcefully kissing her. Yeah, she was rightfully a bit upset and confused to start that convo.

Mei is overworked as it is, so I can understand her being a bit curt when Yuzu is acting this way over some random guy appearing. It likely hurt Mei as well, and likely felt accusatory. Besides, it's not abnormal for someone to seek extra advice from their best friend (something old Mei would not have done). That's not the mark of an issue, in my opinion. What else should she do? Coddle Yuzu? Go up to Arata and tell him off, when he's done nothing? Take Yuzu on a date, just for her to lose it again when Arata has a work dinner with Mei at some point? Give up on this project? Anything she does short of separating from Arata would not solve the issue because Yuzu would spiral again eventually.

The only long lasting solution is for Yuzu to do more self reflection and figure out her insecurities. Maybe Mei can help with that but Yuzu still couches her insecurities as a fault of Mei somehow, or else she wouldn't be about to confront her at her office. It's at a point where Mei might have to worry about even calling Arata a friend in front of Yuzu because that might trigger an existential crisis. That's too many eggshells for Mei to have to walk on.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
Yuzu needs to learn this thing called post-nut clarity. Maybe she'd be able to think properly and have a conversation with Mei after.

Dex-chan lover
mei is really just trying to better the academy and she should try to communicate Yuzu more. In any relationship and especially marriage there needs to be communication. Thanks for the translation

Dex-chan lover
She didn't really speak at length? She basically reiterated her conversation with Yuzu. And yes she was exasperated with Yuzu because Yuzu does this quite a bit and this time it's over something so little. Mind you this is after Yuzu just threw her down and started forcefully kissing her. Yeah, she was rightfully a bit upset and confused to start that convo.

Mei is overworked as it is, so I can understand her being a bit curt when Yuzu is acting this way over some random guy appearing. It likely hurt Mei as well, and likely felt accusatory. Besides, it's not abnormal for someone to seek extra advice from their best friend (something old Mei would not have done). That's not the mark of an issue, in my opinion. What else should she do? Coddle Yuzu? Go up to Arata and tell him off, when he's done nothing? Take Yuzu on a date, just for her to lose it again when Arata has a work dinner with Mei at some point? Give up on this project? Anything she does short of separating from Arata would not solve the issue because Yuzu would spiral again eventually.

The only long lasting solution is for Yuzu to do more self reflection and figure out her insecurities. Maybe Mei can help with that but Yuzu still couches her insecurities as a fault of Mei somehow, or else she wouldn't be about to confront her at her office. It's at a point where Mei might have to worry about even calling Arata a friend in front of Yuzu because that might trigger an existential crisis. That's too many eggshells for Mei to have to walk on.
It might have been better if she had phrased the last part of the argument better. Yuzu is clearly in distress and is trying to work through her issues, she knows that it's on her and not on Mei. Mei basically telling her "Get your shit together before you become a problem" doesn't exactly help in that situation, even if it might be true. It could have probably been salvaged if they had continued the conversation afterwards but with only a curt answer it probably only played into her insecurities even more. And I think that's the main problem right now, Yuzu has already been feeling insecure since she can't really do much to help Mei right now and now she probably also feels like she's actively sabotaging the whole thing. And no, it's not Yuzu who wanted to confront Mei, that was Matsuri who doesn't even fully know what's going on

Dex-chan lover
It might have been better if she had phrased the last part of the argument better. Yuzu is clearly in distress and is trying to work through her issues, she knows that it's on her and not on Mei. Mei basically telling her "Get your shit together before you become a problem" doesn't exactly help in that situation, even if it might be true. It could have probably been salvaged if they had continued the conversation afterwards but with only a curt answer it probably only played into her insecurities even more. And I think that's the main problem right now, Yuzu has already been feeling insecure since she can't really do much to help Mei right now and now she probably also feels like she's actively sabotaging the whole thing. And no, it's not Yuzu who wanted to confront Mei, that was Matsuri who doesn't even fully know what's going on
Yes, I agree that Mei could have responded a bit differently but too much pressure and onus is being put on her. Personally I think that out of this issue-pie, Mei deserves much less blame here. Yuzu is not easy to handle and I don't think people would feel this way if they were Mei and this were a real relationship. Imagine having two meetings with a work partner about a stressful event and your fiance starts losing it with insecurity, enough to try and force physical contact? I don't know that we'd all react so perfectly, especially when so much is already on their shoulders.

Yuzu's help for Mei is being her safe space but she seems not to realize that or not to think that's enough. Mei has never hinted at nor asked her for more. And by being insecure she's ruining that safe space and making it just another stressful place. She's adding burdens rather than assuaging them. I think that's more of what Mei was getting at with her comment about creating more problems.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Yuzu will go along with Matsuri like she always does because she does agree with her (and Matsuri will likely just do what Yuzu wants to but is too scared to). But we'll see. And yes, Mei could have responded differently but too much pressure and onus is being put on her. Out of this issue-pie, Mei deserves much less blame here. Yuzu is not easy to handle and I don't think people would feel this way if they were Mei and this were a real relationship. You have two meetings with a work partner and your other half starts losing it with insecurity? I don't know that we'd all react so perfectly, especially when so much is already on their shoulders.
The only thing that I see is Yuzu getting steamrolled by Matsuri because she doesn't have a spine. And Matsuri wasn't there during the discussion nor has Yuzu told her anything about it so she probably just thinks that Mei did something that didn't alleviate Yuzu's concerns. We already know that Matsuri isn't exactly good with finer nuances or actually asking what people want. She just does whatever she thinks is best.

And again, I don't think the meetings with the guy are the problem. They might have been what caused the current argument, but we've seen throughout the entire arc how Yuzu is feeling inadequate and useless because Mei is dealing with all these important issues that Yuzu has no involvement in, despite the fact that Yuzu is the reason why Mei even has to deal with all of this. That's why she wanted to attend that one school board meeting and that's why she accompanied Mei to the school where she met the guy, despite the fact that she could only wait in the hallway. Yuzu has always been the one pushing the relationship, coming up with solutions. And even if she got into a slump her friends would give her the push she needed to fix things. Now her partner faces a huge challenge, one that basically decides their future and there's nothing that she can do but sit by and watch.

Dex-chan lover
SO many people voiced what I had to say about this but better than I would've. Thanks for the TL.

Dex-chan lover
Yuzu's help for Mei is being her safe space but she seems not to realize that or not to think that's enough. Mei has never hinted at nor asked her for more. And by being insecure she's ruining that safe space and making it just another stressful place. She's adding burdens rather than assuaging them. I think that's more of what Mei was getting at with her comment about creating more problems.
I agree that Mei probably just wants Yuzu as a safe space but switching from active role to purely support isn't always easy. It's easy to say "I just need you to be there for me" but accepting that this is the only help they can provide is something that a lot of people struggle with. Yuzu needs someone that can help her with her insecurities and help her find comfort in her new role. Mei is probably stressed out and doesn't have the capacity to do that and is instead looking for Yuzu to provide a safe space, something that Yuzu isn't able to provide because of her insecurities. That's a pretty classic scenario for two people to get estranged without anyone actually being at fault

I think the comment about becoming a problem was simply about the fact that Mei will have to work with a lot of people in the future no matter whether Yuzu likes them or not. It's not something that she can compromise on and Yuzu has to learn at some point to live with it

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The only thing that I see is Yuzu getting steamrolled by Matsuri because she doesn't have a spine. And Matsuri wasn't there during the discussion nor has Yuzu told her anything about it so she probably just thinks that Mei did something that didn't alleviate Yuzu's concerns. We already know that Matsuri isn't exactly good with finer nuances or actually asking what people want. She just does whatever she thinks is best.

And again, I don't think the meetings with the guy are the problem. They might have been what caused the current argument, but we've seen throughout the entire arc how Yuzu is feeling inadequate and useless because Mei is dealing with all these important issues that Yuzu has no involvement in, despite the fact that Yuzu is the reason why Mei even has to deal with all of this. That's why she wanted to attend that one school board meeting and that's why she accompanied Mei to the school where she met the guy, despite the fact that she could only wait in the hallway. Yuzu has always been the one pushing the relationship, coming up with solutions. And even if she got into a slump her friends would give her the push she needed to fix things. Now her partner faces a huge challenge, one that basically decides their future and there's nothing that she can do but sit by and watch.
Yes, we agree on this (both of your comments). That's essentially my feeling on the situation. Especially this line:
Yuzu needs someone that can helps her with her insecurities....Mei is probably stressed out and doesn't have the capacity to do that and is instead looking for Yuzu to provide a safe space, something that Yuzu isn't able to provide because of her insecurities.
and this one:
Yuzu has always been the one pushing the relationship, coming up with solutions. And even if she got into a slump her friends would give her the push she needed to fix things. Now her partner faces a huge challenge, one that basically decides their future and there's nothing that she can do but sit by and watch.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I don't have much to say. I think everyone has said it better than I ever could. But even though Yuzu is acting irrational and she is the one that needs to work on her issues, some extra attention goes a long way. If Mei would take some initiative for some romance, that could relieve some tension for both of them. I think that would be nice to see some scenes with some romance. I feel like it has been a while since we saw the girls on a date.

I didn't think Mei was so bad here. She did communicate. She made it clear that Arata is not and should not be considered a rival for her affections whatsoever. She reaffirmed that they're engaged and strongly questioned why Yuzu would even consider anyone a rival still.

If anyone is being the same, it's Yuzu. Mei realizes Yuzu is uncomfortable and says as much, but she also explains to Yuzu that she has no choice but to work with Arata to complete this important project. Yuzu shouldn't be so worried after that, yet she still is even though Mei has never shown a single drop of interest in Arata. If anyone is having to do work for the relationship right now it's Mei not Yuzu.

Then we see that even in private Mei is worrying and thinking of how Yuzu is feeling. If anyone is being unreasonable, again I'd say it's Yuzu. She should have more trust in her partner and should recognize her issues as personal ones she needs to work through. It takes two to party and Mei has made it clear Arata isn't even an option, she only sees Yuzu. So what he feels is irrelevant, exactly what Mei said. This is literally Mei's job and Yuzu is throwing a fit because of a coworker based on gasp Mei having conversations with him! The horror. I hope they don't confront Mei in her office over something she hasn't even done. It's these things that make Mei upset and I can't blame her. Work is stressful enough.
You're not wrong. I guess the problem here for the most part is that Yuzu doesn't see herself to be as important as she sees Mei, so any big shot coming along and being mere inch close to Mei gives her a red alarm.
I'm not sure if it's because the updates take so long that I forgot, but I do not believe that the Manga addressed the issues with "Value" that Yuzu might have. And I think this arc might be good for her to realize that even if some hotshot who is "Equal to Mei" in terms of her standing or family name, Yuzu is still #1 for Mei and always will be.
I don't find it repetitive, if anything I'm legit hooked to this, I just wish we got more frequent updates, I want more Citrus in my life.

Fed-Kun's army
"No Yuzu, you can't push me down and passionately make out with me in a private place because you feel insecure, that will cause problems."
I wish I had problems like that.

It's nice that Mei realizes the actual problem is that Yuzu is upset, it would just be nicer if she had actually talked with her more about it.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
oh wow... comments are more interesting than actual story lmao
i feel like ppl jump too quickly to place the blame on specific characters here-- i just re-read the new arc after not reading it for a long while, and you can clearly feel the shift in tone with mei and yuzu's growth from the prev series.

feeling insecure has been a reoccurring thing with yuzu, and i'm very glad the new direction means yuzu will have to face that about herself and find a new way to cope, with the support of mei. it's been long overdue honestly, with yuzu's personality and character, it was bound to show up.

mei's interactions with arata aren't in any way cause for concern, but clearly yuzu is affected (doesn't help that matsuri is still a little a-hole lmfao), and yes, they'll need to communicate about this a bit more at depth--- but i don't think the writing is as bad as everyone is putting it out to be lol.

tbh, i really think Mei is the one at blame here more than Yuzu..
Because yeah she said they are engaged and yuzu should trust her.. but this doesn’t solve the problem, because for someone that doesn’t have much self confidence like yuzu, i think that she deserves some reassurance.. something shows that she’s loved by her fiancé, not only living together and having a ring in her finger..
Because and normal human would start having that fears if their partner didn’t show them that they are loved..

Its about the feelings, not facts or names “engaged”

Fed-Kun's army
i don't think the writing is as bad as everyone is putting it out to be
I said that because of the writing is just 3 Bs (banal, boring, bad) and it just turned out like I predicted back when that dude was introduced.

Double-page supporter
I didn't think Mei was so bad here. She did communicate. She made it clear that Arata is not and should not be considered a rival for her affections whatsoever. She reaffirmed that they're engaged and strongly questioned why Yuzu would even consider anyone a rival still.

If anyone is being the same, it's Yuzu. Mei realizes Yuzu is uncomfortable and says as much, but she also explains to Yuzu that she has no choice but to work with Arata to complete this important project. Yuzu shouldn't be so worried after that, yet she still is even though Mei has never shown a single drop of interest in Arata. If anyone is having to do work for the relationship right now it's Mei not Yuzu.

Then we see that even in private Mei is worrying and thinking of how Yuzu is feeling. If anyone is being unreasonable, again I'd say it's Yuzu. She should have more trust in her partner and should recognize her issues as personal ones she needs to work through. It takes two to party and Mei has made it clear Arata isn't even an option, she only sees Yuzu. So what he feels is irrelevant, exactly what Mei said. This is literally Mei's job and Yuzu is throwing a fit because of a coworker based on gasp Mei having conversations with him! The horror. I hope they don't confront Mei in her office over something she hasn't even done. It's these things that make Mei upset and I can't blame her. Work is stressful enough.
In the beginning, I think Yuzu became insecure because of how quickly Arata changed his attitude when Mei found him yelling at Yuzu, and when he realized it was Mei standing there in the Manga it appeared as though he was going to hug her when she brushes him off because she didn't recognize him.

When Yuzu wakes from her weird dream about feeling lonely. The way I would interpret Yuzu's dream is that she was feeling left out and lonely because once Arata realized that the girl who came to Yuzu's rescue was Mei he started trying to catch up. When Mei rescues Yuzu in front of the men's restroom to when Mei and Yuzu board the train going home Arata dominates Mei's time (taking Mei away from Yuzu) and doesn't ever include Yuzu in the conversation.

Yuzu learns a lot about Mei and Arata: that they were childhood friends, they were both the children of the headmasters, and they hadn't spoken in 8 years. All the things she learned just made her feel even more left out of the relationship between Mei and Arat.

Upon hearing about Yuzu's dream her friends turn the dream from Yuzu's feelings of loneliness into Arata now becoming a love rival. In the Manga, you find that he is setting it up so that he can spend more time with Mei through his father and Hemiko reveals that when he was younger he said that he wanted to marry Mei. So, I wouldn't say that he doesn't still have feelings for Mei but I will say that Mei has assured Yuzu that she doesn't have any feelings for him. Mei lets Yuzu know that she is engaged to her and there is no need to worry about Arata, she will only be communicating with him as part of her work.

When she was telling her friends about her weird dream of being a dog and feeling left out because everyone else was a bear (more specifically, Mei and Arata). Her friends made it seem as though the dream meant that she was insecure about Mei and Arata's relationship and that he could possibly be a love rival.

Users who are viewing this thread