City Hunter

Double-page supporter
LOL that serie is a comedy goldmine
but what tops it, is that the english scanlation is a rip off from the french print version : in France, City Hunter (Ryo Saeba) was introduced as "Nicky Larson" (to make it more detective-like), and the cover of each volumes do present him as Nicky Larson .... even in the english scanlation one !! only when the chapters begin, do they revert to its japanese name :)

Dex-chan lover
The French version is actually better than the original tbh.

I really don't care about if it's a rip-off from another language, what I really care about is that someone would finish the english scandalation ?

I have the last page, but I need what in between the pages I have read a 1000 times and the last page ?

Dex-chan lover
holy crap, thanks for this, I remember starting reading it 10 years ago but only ever got 1 compiled tank.

Dex-chan lover
I wish Ryo Saeba was real.
I would hire him to rid the world of isekai authors.
He could do it!

Dex-chan lover
Comme un éclair il tourbillonne, Nicky Larson ne craint personne!

That one went to shit pretty quickly :( Even though the first few volumes are so good..

@Big_Boss It's a good mix between serious and comedic, but then reverts to standard shonen tropes with invincible characters, an implied romance that doesn't develop and far too much slapstick. And then there's the incredibly low quality of translation... (at least in English, I just saw you're uploading in Russian. Naturally, I can't judge that)

Power Uploader
@dazzr, when I agree about slapstick, it standed out too much during my first read (guess due to not being used that much nowadays), but romance subplot developed from literally not existing to -spoiler-, how far did you read in series?

Dex-chan lover
though I have to agree that the translation needed a proofread x')

still working on the first chapter of vol30 but I'm getting desperate to find a translator x'D

@Big_Boss You're right, there's some development later on and the translation isn't finished yet. Still, it was a pretty frustrating read to see the protagonist constantly getting cockblocked.
To be fair,
this is mentioned directly in one of the latest chapters
I've marathoned through all English chapters 😝

Dex-chan lover
@dazzr technically, you can separate the whole story in 2 parts, the first half of it is like the characters' introductions and the world building.
The second half is really when the author put emphasis on the romance between ryo and kaori.

ryo is just trying to not fall more for her than he already is because he still hoped that she'll go back to the "light world" and kaori showing him more and more that she can be his partner through and through
I seriously think the romance was really well done, even when it was just a guideline (even when I was frustrated by those cockblocks too when I read it for the first time xD)

I can't help (or rather I don't want to redo 30 volumes of work to correct the grammatical errors of the translation...) but I'd recommend to read this till the end 😉 (well, when it'll be entirely translated, that is ^^')

@Lynkaster
I can't help (or rather I don't want to redo 30 volumes of work to correct the grammatical errors of the translation...)
Absolutely understandable. The really harsh part is a few volumes in the middle, don't remember the numbers though.
As you recommended, I'll definitely finish it. Thanks for the effort

edit: oh yea, vol. 6..
x1.jpg

But there's been worse, I can still remember the QUALITY of the old GTO scans...

Group Leader
Fuck man the anime of this series is really censored but with one of the best OST out there. Going through scanlator's blog, it seems that real life caught up to him and he has to drop the series as a result. Its weird that this series received French translations but publisher never went ahead with English ones.

Dex-chan lover
from what's written, it's only for the anime 🤥

meantime it's already the 3rd or 4rd re-edition in france, it's still selling well here apparently 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread