Class de 2 Banme ni Kawaii Onna no Ko to Tomodachi ni Natta - Ch. 24.1 - Relief and Excitement

Dex-chan lover
People often says gotta go fast with women in 2024, but sometimes I feel like we need to be slow and steady like this

Dex-chan lover
This manga peaked when they were secret friends that watched shitty movies together (which was what, maybe 4 chapters?). It’s been pretty boring ever since the third wheel came along and all the forced drama that ensued. Even the dating is boring. Feels like the whole thing was rushed a bit

Dex-chan lover
It's "the author needs to drag this out while trying to figure out more story drama to keep their paycheck" sort of thing. It's a fine balance of keeping readers interested just enough, while edging that romance, and keeping the axe away. :V
The source material is a light novel. I doubt they're trying to figure out where the story is going.

Supporter
Shit now I really wanna be spoiled on what happens.

I don't even remember why they're in this grey area. I mean she even forgot they're supposed to be in it and is already thinking of him as her partner
I don't think this is a spoiler at this point, but Maki is still troubled by the way his parents' relationship decayed (suddenly, in his eyes) and is in need of some further level of understanding as to how and why that happened so as to achieve closure and be free to love Umi without being hobbled by his fears that they'll hurt each other the way his parents did.

He also struggles with obvious abandonment issues that he feels he needs a better grip on before he can proclaim himself someone worthy of being a full partner in a relationship.

The WN makes it clearer than it comes across here that he's also motivated by his wish to give Umi and Yuu space to heal their friendship properly while he's dealing with his own issues.

As to spoilers, maybe something vague... he's gonna do what he needs to do and hopes he's making the right choices for everyone involved while knowing he's being a bit arrogant in doing so.

Last edited:
Thank you for the tl. Reminder for me I'll get this one day. Idk when but one day... Right?...

Supporter
So the translation is inaccurate, then, because this is clear as day and not even explicit.
No, it's because English can't be as vague as Japanese without sounding off. If they had TL directly, you'd probably be complaining why he's stupidly omitting the subject to make it sound vague. That's just how Japanese people speak.

Fed-Kun's army
The source material is a light novel. I doubt they're trying to figure out where the story is going.
So the light novel was the one doing it and the manga is just following it along then? Doesn't really change much then.

Dex-chan lover
No, it's because English can't be as vague as Japanese without sounding off. If they had TL directly, you'd probably be complaining why he's stupidly omitting the subject to make it sound vague. That's just how Japanese people speak.
If you have to resort to trying to claim what the person you're arguing with would do in some hypothetical scenario, then you probably don't have a good argument.

It also doesn't matter whether you include the subject in this case anyway, because that's not why the implicit meaning is obvious.

But the point here is that the dialogue as written did not support the statement about the dialogue that followed. That's a fault of either the original or the translator (or both). "It can't be translated," is not an argument unless you want to argue that the translator lacks that capability.

And that's besides my original point that he was just not good at speaking and understanding the implications of his own words.

Last edited:
Supporter
If you have to resort to trying to claim what the person you're arguing with would do in some hypothetical scenario, then you probably don't have a good argument.

It also doesn't matter whether you include the subject in this case anyway, because that's not why the implicit meaning is obvious.

But the point here is that the dialogue as written did not support the statement about the dialogue that followed. That's a fault of either the original or the translator (or both). "It can't be translated," is not an argument unless you want to argue that the translator lacks that capability.

And that's besides my original point that he was just not good at speaking and understanding the implications of his own words.
Why are even mad? I was just trying to explain why some things are not translatable between Japanese and English, especially the vagueness of it. The skill of the translator have nothing to do with it. In some case, you can find a clever workaround to make the vagueness work in English. In most cases, you can't and have to change the spoken context.

In this case, isn't it clear as day Maki said what he said because Umi looked uneasy? Why would you blame Maki for Umi's inability to catch on to the subtext? He only added the explanation after she missed out that he was speaking about the past, which makes sense considering Japanese have no past or present tenses.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think this is a spoiler at this point, but Maki is still troubled by the way his parents' relationship decayed (suddenly, in his eyes) and is in need of some further level of understanding as to how and why that happened so we to achieve closure and be free to love Umi without being hobbled by his fears that they'll hurt each other the way his parents did.

He also struggles with obvious abandonment issues that he feels he needs a better grip on before he can proclaim himself someone worthy of being a full partner in a relationship.

The WN makes it clearer than it comes across here that he's also motivated by his wish to give Umi and Yuu space to heal their friendship properly while he's dealing with his own issues.

As to spoilers, maybe something vague... he's gonna do what he needs to do and hopes he's making the right choices for everyone involved while knowing he's being a bit arrogant in doing so.
"Do what he needs to do" just makes me think of that retarded trope where they break up and go "find themselves" in order to be a true partner to then have a 5 year time skip where they never interact because reasons

Dex-chan lover
Not really anything of note to say. It was a nice chapter. It even felt complete as a .1. Though did the shading on the second panel on the last page make it look like a flashback to anyone else?

Supporter
"Do what he needs to do" just makes me think of that retarded trope where they break up and go "find themselves" in order to be a true partner to then have a 5 year time skip where they never interact because reasons
The "what he needs to do" here is about meddling in both his parents' breakup and his dad's current romantic situation. Unintentionally, in the process of doing so (and while meeting Umi's family as a whole for the first time), he'll finally face his abandonment complex by fully breaking down and allowing Umi to assert herself as (and him to accept her as) someone who won't run away and will be his support both emotionally and physically in the future.

I say "physically" there, but they won't bang. Yet. They'll spend the night together in her bed and he'll sleep with her breasts as a pillow and they do it with her family's approval (which has to do with a number of unsupported assumptions they've made which will play into stuff quite a bit later), but that's as far as they'll go and that's as much as he needs to enter the relationship with no reservations.

Dex-chan lover
The "what he needs to do" here is about meddling in both his parents' breakup and his dad's current romantic situation. Unintentionally, in the process of doing so (and while meeting Umi's family as a whole for the first time), he'll finally face his abandonment complex by fully breaking down and allowing Umi to assert herself as (and him to accept her as) someone who won't run away and will be his support both emotionally and physically in the future.

I say "physically" there, but they won't bang. Yet. They'll spend the night together in her bed and he'll sleep with her breasts as a pillow and they do it with her family's approval (which has to do with a number of unsupported assumptions they've made which will play into stuff quite a bit later), but that's as far as they'll go and that's as much as he needs to enter the relationship with no reservations.
Daaaaayum "yet" sounds like good shit. That actually makes sense and sounds really wholesome.

How long until the manga reaches that arc? Man I wish i could time travel to a time its fully adapted.

Supporter
Daaaaayum "yet" sounds like good shit. That actually makes sense and sounds really wholesome.

How long until the manga reaches that arc? Man I wish i could time travel to a time its fully adapted.
The "yet" arc will be a while in getting here. Gotta get through the Christmas arc, the finals arc, the class-change arc and the interminable (true) and widely-loathed (though not by me) basketball arc before that all starts with the onsen arc.

(If y'all think this should be spoilerized, just gimme a heads-up.)

Users who are viewing this thread