Coffee wo Shizuka ni - Vol. 4 Ch. 21 - Cup 21

Dex-chan lover
Lovely chapter.
Mind you, sometimes I do find it hard to take seriously all the Japanese earnestness about whatever art or craft is the current topic. I mean, like, you could do all that careful pouring . . . or you could just do like my wife and use a French press. Will the results actually be any different?

Dex-chan lover
Lovely chapter.
Mind you, sometimes I do find it hard to take seriously all the Japanese earnestness about whatever art or craft is the current topic. I mean, like, you could do all that careful pouring . . . or you could just do like my wife and use a French press. Will the results actually be any different?
from a french coffee drinker pov: yes, it does taste different.

Dex-chan lover
Lovely chapter.
Coffee Hobbyist here; yes it does taste different. There are 2 types of coffee extraction method, percolation and perfusion and the difference in taste basically depends on "what" you extract. Generally with perfusion brew like French Press you don't have control over what you extract, what's in the steeped water is what you get.

With Percolation brew (pour over and espresso) however, you get to play a little bit. Without going into too much details, controlling the flow rate using grind size (and pouring speed if you're doing pour over) lets you control what you extract, which in theory would let you extract the "good stuff" more compared to the "bad stuff" that tastes unpleasant in the cup.

There's also the case of paper filter. Pour overs using paper filter would yield coffee that tastes "clean" because the paper is preventing oils from going through the filter. Brews that doesn't use paper filter (French press included) yields a fuller "mouthfeel"

Users who are viewing this thread