Dame Ningen no Aishikata - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - A girlfriend who dresses up a useless person.

Dex-chan lover
It's always a treat to see Hizumi freak out at any prospects of "this dude tryna do something HIMSELF? UNACCEPTABLE."

I am once again asking for your financial support (because I spend large parts of my day caring for me mum and only get a few hours on the PC at home to work on this, which also precludes me from seeking or retaining employment) at https://ko-fi.com/sahashi74
Or if you want to get something for your money instead, contact me for a translation/editing commission at oagur39999@gmail.com

Fed-Kun's army
Her reaction to him getting a job is probably just going to be "ew, I can't believe you got a job. I was honestly hoping you were going to go broke and be homeless. Then you'd have to move in with me and look even more pathetic...(⁠。⁠♡⁠‿⁠♡⁠。⁠)"

Dex-chan lover
I'm 99.9% sure that all translations of "painful" in this chapter are most suitably translated as "cringe", but I also fully sympathize with not wanting to use the word "cringe" and not having enough space for the word "embarrassing".
The word cringe was used as an action for someone experiencing pain. "The needle hurt so much he cringed in pain." It was then used to express that a situation was so embarrassing it was painful. So painful is the right translation in this case.

Dex-chan lover
one other series have MC from slightly decent teenage into desperate criminal when his story become series ( i think i can assume its alrdy axed at chapter 9 when mangaka like show he cutting his " sons " )

but this one...not only we can see his face...but can see his real growth

Dex-chan lover
The amount of people staring at/mocking this guy just for wearing a tacky jacket is kinda silly. Are people in Japan really so rude? Or is the author just projecting?

Dex-chan lover
The amount of people staring at/mocking this guy just for wearing a tacky jacket is kinda silly. Are people in Japan really so rude? Or is the author just projecting?
Probably just for narrative effect. Just like how girls throwing themselfs at the MC in harems for plot to happen. In this people just throwing insults so MC can go full pathetic mod just so that FMC can feel superior.

Dex-chan lover
Well, she's not likely to say it, but I'm pretty sure Hizumi-san is not going to like this dude working in a place with that girl in the final page.

Dex-chan lover
Bad bitch alert on that interviewer wee woo wee woo
We have found the mandatory rival

Dex-chan lover
It happens.
But it's not that loud; it's more like,"People will look at you like you're a fucking weirdo."

That being said, I once heard a group of girls badmouth another "dull" (in their opinion) looking girl in a McDonald's of all places. And it was in Tachikawa, which is even more baffling because it isn't a place where you expect people to be fashionable. (It's known for being the model of the Academy City in Index). The entire thing was just bizarre.

But in general, it's more like people will judge you silently IMO.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The word cringe was used as an action for someone experiencing pain. "The needle hurt so much he cringed in pain." It was then used to express that a situation was so embarrassing it was painful. So painful is the right translation in this case.
I agree with your conclusion, but I don't think the etymology makes your point, because I was predicting the Japanese term used that-- depending on context-- is translated as "cringe" or "embarrassing".

My error was that I didn't realize that I was proposing a bringing to the forefront the underlying meaning of his words (in truth, it's that I'm 99.9% sure he truly is alluding to the matter of "cringiness" and "embarrassment") when he's regardless talking about "pain". Indeed, it wouldn't make sense to render, say,「 痛い!視線が痛い!」with the intention of using the term "cringe" or even "embarrassment" to carry the sense of 痛い. "Their gazes are [embarrassing]" may work given the next clause where he corrects himself on what's "painful", but me arguing for that would be more me salvaging my original position.

Users who are viewing this thread