Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku - Vol. 15 Ch. 98 - Banquet At The Duke's Castle

Dex-chan lover
Can anyone explain how becoming a cook to someone is in anyway shape or form a reward?
Simple. This is from a LN/WN originally written by a Japanese. And the Japanese are foodies by their very culture.

Go watch Moretsu Space Pirates and you'll see what I mean. There's a guy who runs a small, hidden kitchen on the MC's home world. This place, with it's awesomely good food, is where people of all kinds come to make backroom deals. And I'm not talking about small fish, either. These are usually people who are high-ranking public officials and pirate syndicate bosses. And the cook is the only one who can extend invitations to dine at his place.

Yes, that's right. This planet's affairs are more or less dictated by a cook.

Dex-chan lover
Can anyone explain how becoming a cook to someone is in anyway shape or form a reward?
A cook is a high rank servant who is kept safe and well cared for with staff to make their job easier. Especially if the noble is located in a safe territory.

That said, this is how rich sheltered nobles think of their servants. Not how things are in reality.

Dex-chan lover
This guy is way too nice, i don't see where this story is going, it's been going on a loop, i feel like he's doing whatever people telling him to do like a pushover, without any proper compensation

Dex-chan lover
I really hate Ringrande in Web Novel, she's really annoying.
But here, my thoughts turn around. I really want to make her my waifu together with arisa and lulu

Dex-chan lover
Joining the Hero's party, even as a cook, is quite an honor. The opportunities are immense, starting from the glory of the party's achievements. And if you get fired, you are guaranteed the protagonist status.

To be honest, this is kinda breaking my suspension of disbelief - more so than the battle against the demon lord.

Why?

Because Consomme has been around since the Middle Ages. It makes absolutely no sense that if they have all these various oils and soy sauces that they wouldn't have consomme as well.

Keep in mind that while consomme does take an inordinate amount of time to properly prepare, the end product itself is very simple: a very flavorful clarified soup of broth and nothing else.
The way I see it, cooking recipes are more or less an accident. They aren't connected to the ingredients available, they are mostly connected to being similar to existing recipes.
That's why so many countries in the real world have their national kitchen, even though the products they have aren't all that different.

And so, cultural exchange between different worlds is sure to bring new recipes.

Another thing that kinda broke my suspension of disbelief: the utterly lavish setting of the Duke's castle.

The only way I can see it even remotely beginning to approach this level of lavish living conditions - even taking into account that this is a fantasy setting - is if this was a massive empire where the Dukes are all the children of an Emperor. And even then, this sort of palace - throne and everything! - would have been for an Archduke; usually the Crown Prince of an Empire.
In fiction, even a humble baron's house can be this lavish. And Duke is one of the kingdom's biggest nobles.
It's the same kind of thinking that gives birth to impossibly big swords and impossibly big chests.

Dex-chan lover
And so, by the unrivalled power of Japanese cuisine, the world is saved once again!

BroughttoyoubytheJapaneseTouristBoard. Realworldresultsmayvary. Termsandconditionsappply.

Dex-chan lover

It would be a great honour for a commoner. It's absolutely not for Satou, but the dude is hell-bent on looking like a weakling travelling orphanage manager. Eventually he was forced to accept his honourary knight title, or whatever it was, but he still wants to look and act like a nobody, even falling to his knees in front of a random duke.

Dex-chan lover
you know you could just ask "what demon lord"
and the fact that your title has a specific kin of demon lord type is a huge ringer
if you ask me

Dex-chan lover
It would be a great honour for a commoner. It's absolutely not for Satou, but the dude is hell-bent on looking like a weakling travelling orphanage manager. Eventually he was forced to accept his honourary knight title, or whatever it was, but he still wants to look and act like a nobody, even falling to his knees in front of a random duke.
It's not really a "random" duke. It's his duke. The boss of Baron Muno, who is MC's boss.
Unless MC is planning to establish himself as a god, it is perfectly reasonable for him to be polite with that duke.

Dex-chan lover
It's not really a "random" duke. It's his duke. The boss of Baron Muno, who is MC's boss.
Unless MC is planning to establish himself as a god, it is perfectly reasonable for him to be polite with that duke.
I suppose that goes hand in hand with making the mistake of becoming the underling of a minor baron. It's actually why I mostly don't agree with isekai main characters who accept a noble title: it makes them someone's subject and ties them to a faction, at worst also ties them to a territory. Of course if it's a slow life farming isekai, it might be highly useful, but for anyone planning to go around, it's heavy shackles.

Satou basically is a god among men in that world. Even if he wants to hide it, it doesn't change the fact he is one. Should such an individual be at a any noble's beck and call? If he insists on being a nobody, he shouldn't have even accepted the tiny title he got and he also should keep avoiding nobles and other figures of power.

Dex-chan lover
I suppose that goes hand in hand with making the mistake of becoming the underling of a minor baron. It's actually why I mostly don't agree with isekai main characters who accept a noble title: it makes them someone's subject and ties them to a faction, at worst also ties them to a territory. Of course if it's a slow life farming isekai, it might be highly useful, but for anyone planning to go around, it's heavy shackles.

Satou basically is a god among men in that world. Even if he wants to hide it, it doesn't change the fact he is one. Should such an individual be at a any noble's beck and call? If he insists on being a nobody, he shouldn't have even accepted the tiny title he got and he also should keep avoiding nobles and other figures of power.
As it turns out,
Satou is recognized by city cores as a King since his first day in the world. After he launched Meteor on those Dragons, he's been recognized by the cores as King of the Dragons becauseof the "You kill it, you buy it" philosophy.

Users who are viewing this thread