Destroy It All And Love Me In Hell! - Vol. 2 Ch. 9 - Incoherency

Dex-chan lover
...Kurumi seems borderline suicidal.
This was heavily foreshadowed in chapter 3 when Kurumi's first thought was cutting her own wrist with the carving knife before switching targets to Isanuma's desk...at which point she fantasized about murdering Isanuma with the carving knife. The desk's reappearance could very well bring these emotions and thoughts back to the surface.

Dex-chan lover
Literally 90% of the characters in this story would be better of dead. They are either crazy in the fucking head or bitches

Double-page supporter
Is it weird I find this arc with Kokoro genuinely harder to read than any of the actually fucked up stuff in the story before?
No, that's probably what the author was going for. I was about to comment the same thing a few chapters ago but was too lazy to find all the words. It's technically romantic/sexual coercion, which is what makes it so unsettling. Kurumi just going along with it because she doesn't want to "disappoint" others is also sad, scary and uncomfortable.

Dex-chan lover
Kokoro kinda has this savior complex. Rather than being in touch with Kurumi's feelings and striving to know why she feels that way, Kokoro is stuck on a very surface level of understanding. "What can I do to make her feel better" and its entirely in the context of Kurumi in relation to her, or in relation to the image she has of her i.e. being perfect and unproblematic. She's ignoring all the signs of Kurumi's distress and blames it all on Naoi, unfortunate. That's why Kurumi will always have this sense of detachment from Kokoro--the same one she gets from her teacher and mother.

Thankfully, there's Naoi who could truly communicate with Kurumi (no matter how violent it is). I hope Kurumi's table art getting exposed would lead to Naoi coming back to the picture (I'm hoping Naoi takes the blame or sth :^). Kokoro would prolly stand up for her thinking she never did it and then get a whiplash when she discovers what Kurumi is capable of. I hope Kokoro wakes up from her make believe reality
I like this idea about the desk breaking Kokoro's conception of Kurumi. We know she's attached to a fake/idealized image of Kurumi and becomes hostile when that image is chlalenged, but we also know the reason she originally liked Kurumi (being kind to vulnerable people like rabbits or past Kokoro when there was no benefit to doing so, as she could have just pretended not to notice to avoid conflict) is something Kurumi actually did and not fake. The desk could be a nice catalyst for us to find out which of these two competing impulses will win out.

Lots of thoughts this chapter. Next chapter is the final chapter of volume 2 so something big will happen.

I get the feeling this chapter hinted that Kurumi's friendship with Kokoro may have been fake from the beginning. It seems like Kurumi doesn't even remember how her and Kokoro first talked. And to add on to that, it seems Kurumi mostly ignored Kokoro even before Naoi showed up. Plus, all the current flashbacks from childhood are from Kokoro's unreliable POV, so it's possible young Kurumi took pity on a social outcast and then when her other friends quit talking to her, she used the fact that Kokoro was obsessed with her so that she wouldn't end up all alone.

I don't think so as much as that this interaction was far more significant to Kokoro than her. For Kokoro it was the start of deep romantic feelings and rabbits symbolize her love for Kurumi, which is why she hugged the rabbit plush while thinking about Kurumi. For Kurumi it was just some off hand decision that she didn't think about too much and didn't stick in her memories and Kokoro was simply a quiet and unassuming friend who tended not to ask too much of her.

Despite that, I do think she actually valued the friendship, but now even that is backfiring for her as she realizes Kokoro's endless support and validation for her were not just based on Kurumi's fake persona but unrequited romantic feelings for that persona. That is a lot of pressure for her to try to meet and, even though she's trying to meet Kokoro's expectations, Kokoro can't be satisfied by her just going through the motions to try to please her in the absence of actual romantic feelings. Hence she wishes for an out to escape even this relationship now.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Despite that, I do think she actually valued the friendship, but now even that is backfiring for her as she realizes Kokoro's endless support and validation for her were not just based on Kurumi's fake persona but unrequited romantic feelings for that persona. That is a lot of pressure for her to try to meet and, even though she's trying to meet Kokoro's expectations, Kokoro can't be satisfied by her just going through the motions to try to please her in the absence of actual romantic feelings. Hence she wishes for an out to escape even this relationship now.
Your post reminded me of what happened in chapter one, where Kurumi was able to center herself and stop herself from doing something stupid by seeing Kokoro in the crowd during the school assembly. Now that she's likely seeking an out from Kokoro as well, it would seem that seeing Kokoro in the crowd of girls in the classroom would cause her to be more likely to lash out this time.

Supporter
This is such an emotional chapter. It touched my heart and I am so looking forward to the next chapter. Thanks for the translation

Dex-chan lover
Your post reminded me of what happened in chapter one, where Kurumi was able to center herself and stop herself from doing something stupid by seeing Kokoro in the crowd during the school assembly. Now that she's likely seeking an out from Kokoro as well, it would seem that seeing Kokoro in the crowd of girls in the classroom would cause her to be more likely to lash out this time.

I had forgotten this until you mentioned it, but it is in the first three black and white pages of chapter 1, where she does find Kokoro's presence reassuring while the others are represented as a sea of faceless and creepy masses who she has to please with her speech.

Thinking about this more, the story is really following the childhood friend versus newcomer story convention. The childhood friend represents acceptance of the status quo and the way MC was doing things before the story, while the newcomer represents change and growth. Kurumi has generally used Kokoro's validation as evidence that what she had been doing was a good idea and things would be fine if she kept doing it. She tended to think of Kokoro when she wanted to reject Naoi's way of doing things.

Where we're getting now that the 'Kokoro path' is starting to look increasingly like her relationship to her mother, which is seemingly the original source of Kurumi's trauma. Kokoro, while nowhere near as bad, does in fact have some traits of the mother and we could see her ending up like that as an adult if she is rewarded for using 'weaponized fragility' over a long period of time.

So Naoi can kind of save both of them from these respective psychological tendencies (not ending up like the mother is to Kokoro's benefit even if it means not getting what she wants now), while also allowing Naoi to show that she isn't like either Kokoro or mother regardless of how traumatized Kurumi is interpreting Naoi's behavior.

Dex-chan lover
Now Kokoro this is your time ! There's no other best time to confront your feelings.

Dex-chan lover
So much damn pain for Kurumi good gracious. She's just surrounded by people pushing her suicidal tendencies forward.
Thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
"Mom this, mom that... Parents are overrated, right?" Naoi to Kurumi, ch 5
"It's because you're like this that they all just got up and left!" - Naoi's father to Naoi, ch 6
"Yoshizawa-san... You're running away from me too, huh?" - Naoi pining after to Kurumi, ch 9

Now I really have to wonder who it was that abandoned Naoi, leaving her with a father who is not equipped to raise her. The easiest guess would be her mother, and maybe any siblings, though it is odd that the group of family members that left didn't take Naoi with them.

Group Leader
"Mom this, mom that... Parents are overrated, right?" Naoi to Kurumi, ch 5
"It's because you're like this that they all just got up and left!" - Naoi's father to Naoi, ch 6
"Yoshizawa-san... You're running away from me too, huh?" - Naoi pining after to Kurumi, ch 9

Now I really have to wonder who it was that abandoned Naoi, leaving her with a father who is not equipped to raise her. The easiest guess would be her mother, and maybe any siblings, though it is odd that the group of family members that left didn't take Naoi with them.
My best guess would be Naoi’s mom bailed first, and then maybe an older sibling (siblings?) was old enough to take off on their own as well, then cutting ties with Naoi and her father, but it’s definitely still pretty ambiguous at this point

The scarring on her arm points to a pretty significant event happening at some point in her life (looks like a burn to me but can’t be sure), and I wonder if it wasn’t the catalyst for the rest of her family to leave her behind. I’m sure it’ll be revealed eventually along with her first name what is it I need to know but probably not until we get into volume 3 proper

Dex-chan lover
Admittedly, I held off reading this because I thought Naoi would be the sadistic character who is invincible and faces no real consequences, but pleasantly surprised to see she has her own insecurities. I still get the feeling this will end up being a "haha look at the lesbians suffering" kind of manga, but honestly ignoring the love triangle aspect (a bit of stupid trope by this point), I could see the three of them each having the ability to sympathise and support each other if they actually communicated and got therapy (impossible lmao).

Dex-chan lover
Admittedly, I held off reading this because I thought Naoi would be the sadistic character who is invincible and faces no real consequences, but pleasantly surprised to see she has her own insecurities. I still get the feeling this will end up being a "haha look at the lesbians suffering" kind of manga, but honestly ignoring the love triangle aspect (a bit of stupid trope by this point), I could see the three of them each having the ability to sympathise and support each other if they actually communicated and got therapy (impossible lmao).
Overall the series has been light on comedy and more into the drama, so I don't think we're supposed to laugh at the suffering per se. It reminds me of Tomadachi Game or something like that with these over the top social situations played straight.

I do think it's significant that the characters are essentially all outcasts (with one faking the traits that she knows people want her to have, knowing she'd be just as outcast if she stopped), so I don't think they will necessarily end the series as enemies, at least if they all survive it.

We actually kind of have Kurumi who has bad home environment but is respected at school (while finding the respect to be conditional/fake), Kokoro who has good home environment/trusts adults but is disrespected at school, and Naoi who has had bad experiences with both and does whatever she wants since she's not invested in either. So all of them have stuff in common while being in conflict with each other in other ways.

Probably all of them will be happier once they're free of the school environment and can live independently as adults.

Dex-chan lover
Overall the series has been light on comedy and more into the drama, so I don't think we're supposed to laugh at the suffering per se. It reminds me of Tomadachi Game or something like that with these over the top social situations played straight.

I do think it's significant that the characters are essentially all outcasts (with one faking the traits that she knows people want her to have, knowing she'd be just as outcast if she stopped), so I don't think they will necessarily end the series as enemies, at least if they all survive it.

We actually kind of have Kurumi who has bad home environment but is respected at school (while finding the respect to be conditional/fake), Kokoro who has good home environment/trusts adults but is disrespected at school, and Naoi who has had bad experiences with both and does whatever she wants since she's not invested in either. So all of them have stuff in common while being in conflict with each other in other ways.

Probably all of them will be happier once they're free of the school environment and can live independently as adults.
The comedy is in the volume bonuses and twitter artworks that haven't been released here yet. And even those are deeper in a way, since they foreshadow certain things.

As for Kurumi, she's not really respected at school by many people. The teacher gives her fake praise to make her do his work for him. While her club mates slack off expecting her to do extra work to make up for them. And during the school assembly, many of the students gave the impression of not caring about her. Even outside of Isanuma's clique and Naoi, there were girls looking bored and in particular one looking at her nails. The desk incident could just make them more comfortable revealing how they don't like her and start spreading rumors about her. Though that won't be too relevant for awhile, given summer break is about to start.

Kokoro could be in for a rude awakening too. Her parents took notice of her off behavior and assume it has to do with the school. If they contact the school after Kurumi does something, Kokoro could be banned from talking to her. Or they could force her to switch schools to get away from bad-influence Kurumi.

Naoi really has nowhere to go but up from here since she already reached rock bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread