Destroy It All And Love Me In Hell! - Vol. 3 Ch. 14 - Through the Looking-Glass

Dex-chan lover
Well, we finally got at a portion of Naoi's backstory. So, her mom and little sister left her and her dad after her arm was severly burned during one of her dad's outbursts. Her dad seriously has alot of nerve blaming Naoi for them leaving given everything this chapter showed.

Her mother apparently left without a word, but I have a feeling her mom's view that those who become violent in response to violence are the same kind of person likely played a role. Most likely why Naoi asked Kurumi last chapter if she reminds her of her dad.

I'm not sure what to make of Kudou, other than the mystery of the new girl on the chapter 11 color cover is now solved. She seems to be the Isanuma in Naoi's life, but at the same time she seemed very casual with her at the end of the chapter and angry at Kurumi being with her, so I feel like there's still alot of Naoi's backstory to be told regarding what happened after the flashback we saw.

The chapter title heavily implies that what was shown was like stepping through a mirror. Naoi's past greatly resembles Kurumi's. It's likely why Naoi understands so much of what's going on in Kurumi's head and with those surrounding her. Though in Naoi's case, I have the feeling something very bad happened later on past the flashback. If Naoi really got that close to a bully eventually, and if the girl with the hairband she helped ended up as a Kokoro figure in her life, then odds are hairband girl didn't react well to that. So, really, Kudou might've been a Naoi/Isanuma hybrid character. Given how Naoi seemed to be alone at the start of the series, it's possible Kudou is one of the people Naoi pushed away and possibly ghosted. Kudou probably has alot to say to both Naoi and Kurumi if her reactions at the end of the chapter are any indication.

It's interesting reading the story when Naoi and now possibly Kudou possess what's essentially a copy of the script based on their own past experiences in similar situations. It could help resolve the situtations with Isanuma and Kokoro in a better way than they likely went with Naoi's old classmates.

As for Kurumi and Naoi, it was nice to see them start to open up to each other, but their abandonment issues remain. Naoi for not wanting to let people in to begin with, and for Kurumi thinking Naoi abandoned her when she wasn't there when Kurumi woke up. I was surprised when Kurumi started shouting and destroying the hotel. Guess she's really changed alot since the start of the manga. But she still has a way to go, since it appears that Naoi and Isanuma were at least somewhat correct in their volume 1 claims that Kurumi looks down on those she helps, coddling them. This will likely be brought up again, since it isn't healthy behavior and can make people overly reliant on her. Like the student council in chapter 1. Kokoro is likely the biggest victim of this, since she's had the most exposure to the behavior over a very long period of time. But at least Kurum's being more honest now, which will likely help going forward, even if people don't necsessarily like what she has to tell them.

Kurumi and Naoi's shouting match and the accompanying destruction was amazing to see. Very raw emotionally. And they looked like they were having so much fun and were free, even if only for a short time.

And now Naoi has Kurumi's home phone number if she wants to get ahold of her during the summer, though the text felt like it might've been hinting that some incident will happen that might make it necessary. So hopefully the rest of their summer vacation doesn't get too stormy.

Next chapter is the end of volume 3, so something big is going to happen. Can't wait for the next chapter.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I really love this series so much! It might sound crazy but I struggle to really even consider this toxic - these are two SERIOUSLY damaged girls who are trying (and failing) to find security and identity in each other. I wouldn't call what they're doing necessarily healthy, but I mean...I know grown adults who can't even call each other out for their arrogance and chauvinism like this. There's a surprising amount of emotional intelligence wrapped up in their destructive outbursts.

Violence and threats of self-harm are the only love language these two know, and it's really heartwarming to see them at least take the first step in directing that outwards towards the world rather than inwards towards themselves and each other. There's clearly no shortage of growing pains and external antagonists to deal with but where they are now from where they began is a huge amount of progress in understanding themselves better.

Praying for these girls to find healing and happiness with each other lol

Users who are viewing this thread