Destroy It All And Love Me In Hell! - Vol. 3 Ch. 14 - Through the Looking-Glass

Dex-chan lover
The parent/child bond is easily the strongest emotional tie that exists in human life - obviously there are exceptions, but a parent caring for a child is one of the things that's most likely to break that parent out of any ideological thinking (even if only for their child, not more broadly).
The parent-child bond, at least within modern society, is also a relationship of power and control, a social position where the parent is granted by society the expectation of subservience from their child, and relationships of authority like that are frequently where such ideological thinking is expressed.

This is why it's so frequent for homophobic or transphobic parents to make their gay and trans children homeless, for example. Sure, some homophobic or transphobic parents learn to make an exception for their kid, but we don't need to look for a deeper psychological reason for why most don't because the reason lies in the nature of the relationship itself.

Dex-chan lover
That was a loooong two months for me lol. I only managed to forget the wait for the last week. Not sure what I was expecting but that was super satisfying. Usually I feel a tiny bit let down after waiting for monthly series to drop but not with this one!

I agree completely! Unfortunately this was one of the first "toxic" yuri series I read and was hoping there'd be more like it out there but I couldn't quite find any that feel as... healthy(?) as this one. There's not enough balance between the hurt and the healing I think?

It's like yeah these girls have clearly been broken by the people who's supposed to care for them and need help, but since that's not gonna happen they're doing their best to piece each other back together.
If that makes any sense? Anyway it's super heartwarming to me
I don't know if you're okay with novels, but the LN for Buying My Classmate Once a Week gets close to this in my opinion! If you've read the first few manga chapters from the adaptation it might seem like your standard self-indulgent kink series, but VERY quickly it becomes a story about two girls from broken homes navigating how to trust and socialize. I will die on the hill that it's basically a better Adachi & Shimamura (and it's absolutely hilarious that the cover art looks exactly like them). Everything that A&S managed to do well, Buying a Classmate did better and by far. I couldn't help but empathize with Miyagi's "stray cat" characterization and how every interaction she has with others has predicated boundaries of acceptance before she bristles and runs off - I was very much the same as a teen lol.

I think "A Story About Losing All My First Experiences After Suffering Defeat at the Hands of My Twisted Genius of a Childhood Friend" (summaries as titles is the bane of my existence omg) is a LITTLE similar, but falls closer to Netsuzou Trap in the way the toxicity falls away in favor of a healthier relationship, but the healing still falls short and their root traumas go nearly unaddressed.

Not saying authors can't write toxicity for the sake of it but the angst + hurt hits so much better when there's comfort and healing after!

The art style sure changed, they look so adorable rn compared to earlier chapters

Dex-chan lover
Kudou certainly checks off enough delinquent boxes with her glow up, so it’s possible there was either ongoing conflict with her or perhaps even that Naoi ended up falling into a bad crowd with her. Maybe they bonded over shitty family situations or something.
Something I noticed was that Kudou's mother seemed focused on the fact the wound could scar, which to me sounded like she cared more about Kudou's appearance than her well-being. It goes back to what Naoi's dad said previously, about girls only being worth as much as their face. It's possible Kudou's mother was big into appearances.

Kudou and Naoi being on good terms in middle school makes alot of sense when you consider Naoi's lines in chapter 9. When she felt abandoned by Kurumi, she wanted to get close to Isanuma. Which looking back on it now, was likely her attempt to fall back into old habits. Because at least on the surface, Kudou seems very similar to Isanuma behavior-wise so far.

As for why Kudou and Naoi may have fallen out, I think it relates to how Naoi wished for Kurumi to become all alone like herself. It's possible Kudou's parents never truly disowned her, so if her and Naoi did something really bad together and were caught, maybe Kudou pushed all the blame onto Naoi for fear of alienating her parents for good. Naoi of course felt completely betrayed and applied for a separate high school from Kudou and then started complete social isolation.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
these two girls, i want to give them a hug...
two characters with their own family issue, curing each other always have been my fav troupe
stongly remind me with shuukuri, but this one is less wholesome

Dex-chan lover
Thanks a lot for this chapter.
Really appreciate you guys' work, y'all even do quality SFX/redraws. Love ya!

Users who are viewing this thread