Devil May Cry 5 – Visions of V – - Ch. 25.2

Wait isn't Vergil suppose to think that his mom abandoned him ? This looks like Vergil lost him mom and regret not having power to protect his family so he now only seek power

Dex-chan lover
He probably still thinks his mom abandoned him. By trying to protect dante in the fire and dying to protect him.

Dex-chan lover
If only Vergil had went into the house and looked for his mom and Dante. Fate can be cruel

Dex-chan lover
Wait so where did Yamato come from? Did he just summon it from his soul or something? At that point had Sparda already infused (or bound or whatever) rebellion and yamato to Vergil?

@volam2255637 This has always been somewhat inconsistent. From (at least what I read and gathered leading up to dmc 5). Vergil wanted power because he thought it was his fault for not protecting Dante and their Mom (as the oldest brother and oldest male in the family). When I played through dmc3 this was pretty in line with his quest for power. He told Dante “you can’t protect anything without might” (not the exact line probably, but what I remember), and I think that quest for power just got twisted and corrupted (namely by Arkham), but at the very least it seemed to steam from wanting to protect “something” (and I don’t feel like it was just himself). And then in 5 Dante heavily suggested that Vergil’s hatred came from thinking their mom abandoned him. But again when we look at this scene here (which is in line with what V said “I was playing. Right over there when the demons attacked”), it seems like Vergil himself thought they had died. He realized that he couldn’t rely on others to save him but also that he needed to be stronger to protect what he cared about. And really realistically I don’t see how Vergil (who was playing outside of his own accord/choice) could look at a house on flames and being bombarded by demons and think “Why isn’t my human totally-not-fireproof mother saving me from these demons?! She must hate me and love Dante more!”. Really if he himself were having trouble with demons outside then logically Dante and his mom would be less likely to survive inside where the demons probably thought all of them would be (honestly, I never got the logic of how hiding inside a closet while your house is on fire and mobs of demons are attacking saved Dante). We honestly just need a comprehensive Vergil game with his complete storyline to be his definitive background (which we’ll probably never get seeing as we’re on dmc5 and Vergil is still the main selling point of Special Edition (all the way from 3) and only ever dlc. Despite 5 being, you know, about Vergil).

Dex-chan lover
NOW HE'S MOTIVATED!
Also, I agree. The "Mother abandoned me" angle doesn't make sense here, this Vergil has no reason to think Eva abandoned him for Dante.

Wasn't Vergil supposed to have seen his mother according to V's nightmare?

We actually never got confirmation if Vergil thought Eva loved Dante more, dante is the one who assumed he did. But the if our positions were switched angle doesn't make sense either way.

Guys! He's entering and leaving the house at page 17! It's not that obvious, but at panel 1 he's outside, panel 2 is the flames inside the house and panel 3 is he leaving (since the fire made his tears evaporate).

Dex-chan lover
I believe that Vergil when he was attacked rather than concerning for the safety of his brother & mother, he was praying for them to save him. Vergil was about to die by hands of demons, their house was on fire, who the hell was gonna help him? Then Yamato appeared, which gave him the power to save himself when noone saved him...

Then after seeing the house he finds it on fire, his mother & brother nowhere to be seen, so he steels himself that he needs power for himself instead on relying on anyone else...

Now, what would be in Vergil's mind when he finds out Dante survived? "How? Why? Where's mom? Why is she dead & Dante's alive?" All of that would reaffirm that it's Dante's fault that their mother's dead and that his own Power is needed to overcome ANYTHING!

Now we wait for the next chapter, but this shows a better picture of what MOTIVATES Vergil and why he has such animosity towards Dante.

To the people suggesting inconsistent characterization on Vergil's part I think that's a fair point. Allow me to propose a narrative to reconciles the ideas. Vergil was a child. No matter how realistic it would be, can you blame a child, who has just been stabbed, like a lot, begging their parent to make the problem go away? A child relies on a parent in a healthy relationship, and even if it's unrealistic, Vergil's emotional response would obviously be to want his protector, his benefactor, his parent, to make the stop the problem. But the deus ex machina isn't his family, it's himself. Even then, even after awaking something with the Yamato, his first action is to move toward his home. He sees it burning and knows his mother and brother are inside. What person assumes someone will survive a house burning down around them?

The next part is what I would consider my leap in logic. Imagine Vergil, by whatever means, finds out the brother he thought he couldn't protect, was still alive, but his mother was not. Dante, the brother he perceived as having been the one overly reliant on those familial bonds even before they family was destroyed, is still alive. Dante endures despite not understanding the inherent need for power as Vergil understands it. This makes Dante a living contradiction to Vergil's world view. "Mother abandoned me" or "you weren't strong enough" become less about being exact prescriptions of the complete situation, and more recurring tools to emotionally justify a worldview bolted into him by trauma. The funny thing about a tragedy like this is that it is basically random in the grand scheme of things. There isn't any deeper meaning into who survived and how between Dante and Vergil, just bad luck all around, coated in whatever emotional process they can use to process it.

Remember Nero's big point at the end of five, "can you idiots not kill each other?" Well, they could, but they'd need to come to terms with the fact that one destabilizes the other's coping. And to move beyond that is to understand that they still have family left, even if Vergil mades some very big mistakes on the way there.

I've been wrong before and I'm just throwing out ideas. Hopefully this does more good than harm. Or even makes any sense.

Double-page supporter
@blue6 as someone who isn't deep into the DMC lore, i really like your narrative tbh!! esp your bit about this being completely random, rather than being idk some grand design. it makes sense to me as a whole

man poor vergil.... ;__; no wonder he grew up to be such an asshole a murderous bro

Dante thinks Vergil thinks their mom abandoned him, we never hear that from Vergil or even implied he does. unless that comes up in the year before DMC3 which I assume has him as Gilver.

Users who are viewing this thread