Display Manga Titles In Preferred Language [Planned]

Double-page supporter
Here's the problem:
I do not speak Japanese, and remembering Japanese titles is really really hard for me.

Solution:
Give me the setting to display titles preferably in the language I chose (maybe even by user rating).

For example:
Instead of
Honzuki no Gekokujou ~Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen~ Dai 2-bu 「Hon no Tamenara Miko ni Naru!」

The english title I can actually recognize
Ascendance of a Bookworm ~I'll do anything to become a librarian~ Part 2 「I'll become a Shrine Maiden for Books!」

Upvote 17
Dex-chan lover
I wonder if I am the odd one here. My preference is English in chapter releases. But my tittle preference is romanji.

I have read enough romanji tittles to understand them (to some degree). Or at least I think I do. Hope this split is in the works too.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if I am the odd one here. My preference is English in chapter releases. But my tittle preference is romanji.

I have read enough romanji tittles to understand them (to some degree). Or at least I think I do. Hope this split is in the works too.
I'm with ya. Takes me a moment to recognize localized titles Mangadex shows me that I know by their Romanji names. Hope this feature won't make the experience worse. Though as long as it's preferred language and not forced into localization mode it'll be fine I hope.

Contributor
I imagine it is even more annoying (or incomprehensible) for most of these readers to see English titles for works from Asia:

1.png
2.png
3.png

A lot of those are official localized titles too, with equal claim on the main title spot given the way the rules are written now. Who wins? It's a mess of a system.

We have enough data fields already that we could eliminate the main title field entirely. We have the original language flag, and the title in original (romaji) language. We have the alternative language titles. If there are multiple alternative titles in the same language, the system already has logic to pick one. All that's left is to implement the preference system with fallback priority order. There are a couple of ways to migrate the legacy main titles. It isn't too far off.

It already works with the description field. There is no main description. Which description you see is based on user preference.

I hope user-level title language preference is near the front of the roadmap.

Last edited:
Can't it be a setting like what Anilist did, they allowed you to choose wether the title language is romaji, english, or native. And to be honest I loathed that this site using hardcoded priority for what title language is used.

Double-page supporter
Romaji is really the worst. Native speakers and foreigners alike cannot comprehend* it. Why is the default romaji then?

*I mean it is harder if you know hiragana etc and equally non understandable for non Japanese speakers.

Btw, English is a world language while romaji Japanese is not. Why not prefer English for now?

Users who are viewing this thread