List of mangas with educative content

Double-page supporter
I'm trying to list all the educative manga available on mangadex on this thread. By educative manga, i mean either mangas where there is a story and learning is secondary like Dr Stone, Moyashimon, Otomeyogatari or Hataraku Saibou and spin-off, or more pedagogical mangas like "The Manga Guide to Linear Algebra".

Any subjects are fine, except sports and cooking (they are a separate genre by themselves), and also automotive mangas (there is already a list on the forum). That said, here is the list :

General science/technology :
Biology and animals :
Health :
Astronomy :
Maths :
History :
Economy :
Philosophy :
Litterature, classics, famous books :
Books, edition and mangas :
Survival :
Farming and agriculture :
Computer architecture :
Daily life and hobbys :
Varied, with historical context :
And also, the "Manga de Wakaru ..." series :
I have a MDList about it here : Mangas with educative content

Personal recommendations for hidden gems : Heaven's design team, Mai no Mushigurashi (very good yuri), Manga de Wakaru Shinryou Naika (those jokes, seriously), War's Unwomanly Face, Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki, Kodama Maria Bungaku Shuusei (strange, but very interesting).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Great list. I kinda derped and thought you didn't include the Manga Guide to... series. They're licensed but some are listed here
If cooking counts, Gohan no Otomo for some Japanese cooking.
Oh also, Go Nagai's Divine Comedy adaptation is pretty alright for a simplified version of the original. Dante's Inferno(+Purgatory and Paradiso). If I remember it right, the scans are also quite good and provide even more info and references. Literature.
This too. A very good personal experience of WW2 from the Japanese side. Licensed, not actually available here..

King's Viking for cyber security and tech

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
I've not read "Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga", so i don't know : it really depend how informative it is. But your question have remind me of Bakuman, who may deserve a place on the list.

Dex-chan lover
Would like to suggest, We Shall Now Begin Ethics - Ethics (obvious from the name)
It fits in the Philosophy category. There is a lot to learn from this series.

If it's your first time hearing about this manga, I highly suggest reading it first!
I was expecting this manga to be there on the list when I saw the title. But it didn't seem like it.

Power Uploader
I'm a bit surprised Oshi no Ko (Japanese entertainment industry) and Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru (Cosplay) weren't on the list.
I don't think OnK deserves a spot on this list. It tells very little about the Showbiz industry and uses what it tells to dive into a completely different revenge plot. Not really an educational manga. Sure, you can learn the surface-level stuff from the few chapters it has, but it's not really the main focus.

Sono Bisque is still understandable cause despite being a rom-com, each chapter does focus on cosplaying.

I don't think OnK deserves a spot on this list. It tells very little about the Showbiz industry and uses what it tells to dive into a completely different revenge plot. Not really an educational manga. Sure, you can learn the surface-level stuff from the few chapters it has, but it's not really the main focus.

Sono Bisque is still understandable cause despite being a rom-com, each chapter does focus on cosplaying.
I completely agree honestly. Everyone is talking about how cruel the internet could be and how shocked they are that the idol industry is this fucked-up, but I thought it was obvious. It's really basic stuff everybody knows (make connections, try to collab, and minor acting and dancing tips) and then has the rest be a very unrealistic revenge plot (not that it shouldn't be, still a great manga)

I'm trying to list all the educative manga available on mangadex, so i'm making this thread to have recommendations. By educative manga, i mean mangas with significant or some educative content, either mangas where there is a story and learning is secondary like Dr Stone, Moyashimon, Otomeyogatari or Hataraku Saibou and spin-off, or more serious mangas like "The Manga Guide to Linear Algebra". Any subjects are fine, except sports and cooking (they are a separate genre by themselves), and also automotive mangas (there is already a list on the forum). That said, here is the list i have now :

General, science and technology :
Biology and animals :
Health :
Maths :
History :
Economy :
  • Investor Z and spin-offs/sequels - investements and finance, but warming : lots of dated advices, don't use it for financials decisions.
Philosophy :
Litterature :
Books, edition and mangas :
Survival :
Farming and agriculture :
Computer architecture :
Daily life :
Varied, with historical context :
And also, the "Manga de Wakaru ..." series :
I have a MDList about it here : Mangas with educative content

Personal recommendations for hidden gems : heaven's design team, Mai no Mushigurashi (very good yuri), Manga de Wakaru Shinryou Naika (those jokes, seriously), War's Unwomanly Face, Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki, Kodama Maria Bungaku Shuusei (strange, but very interesting).

If anyone know other mangas who deserve to be on this list, i'm taking any recommendations.
any cooking manga u recommend?

Double-page supporter
I've add Son bisque Doll in the list,and i think can also add "Shine : runway de waratte". Both talk about clothes making, for cosplay and fashion respectively. They're a bit of light in educative content, but so are Satsuki shi ga mieru and a few other in this list. I wonder if i must put them in a separate category for manga where educative content is light/in the background. I don't think i will, but the idea is on the table.

any cooking manga u recommend?
None, i don't like this genre. Bizarrely, i don't dislike educative manags about food itself or nutrition, but cooking is not for me.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
A recent discovery : Gareki!: After School of Modeler Girls. It's about some kind of DIY figurines named gareki (an abrevaiation for garage kit). Another manga focused on a unknow hobby, it's always nice.

And also : A Gal’s Guide To Budget Living for an Otaku. As the title say, it's about saving money...

They are not on the list and it's the same with some proposition of the most recent message, because i can't edit the first message (more than two month since its creation). Maybe i should do a follow-up list in a future post ?

And i wonder if i should do another thread-list, but for just gaming manga. There is a lot of gaming manga with educative content, even some biographies of video game creators, so i may be worth it.

Dex-chan lover
There's a fine line here between something that is educational by virtue of the setting (e.g. medical, where the real-world inspirations for plotlines are real but the implementation typically isn't) and something that aims to teach the audience about something new. Many of the titles here seem to be more the former even if the aim is for a list of the latter.

With that noted, my handful of shiny rocks:
I'm a little surprised Maoyuu hasn't been brought up yet. First blush would be categorizing it as "economic" since that seems to be where it spent the majority of its light lessons.

Radiation House. Fits pretty squarely in medical and I think fairlyrelatively realistically.

Silver Spoon, since Noble Farmer/Arakawa Hiromu was brought up and agriculture is woefully underrepresented on this list.

And the other Silver Spoon which has actual recipes and instructions for cooking. The content of the manga itself is pretty far from educational though 🤷

I haven't read Last Karte recently, but it seemed like it was going in a biology-friendly direction. Speaking of which...

...Blue World for historical? (I kid, this clearly belongs in physics) :pepela:

Users who are viewing this thread