Dragon and Chameleon - Vol. 3 Ch. 15 - All That Is Right in the World

Dex-chan lover
I knew as they were describing this subject she would be a babe lmao wowie

Reactions: W0X
Dex-chan lover
Kinda funny how she's supposed to be depicted as some sort of ultimate evil, but she was actually just slightly business savvy right after they just said the artists are independent people with their own will
In the eyes of a publisher, a talent who built their name and connections under their wing to then build their own publishing house and actively snipe the talents and their works off of the former publisher is ultimately an evil attempt to end a publishing house's livelihood. Surely you realize the subjectivity of the topic?

If you still fail to see their perspective, then you are probably a capitalist.

Dex-chan lover
I folded immediately the moment big tits + snake aesthetics became a part of the deal, I am weak!

I even instantly gave her a pass for doing shameless kidnapping

Oh snap that's his teacher? Bro this guy is too lucky

It should have been me not him, it is not fair!

Dex-chan lover
Can't get over how MC still has not figured out the body swap thing and constantly refers to people he shouldn't know
But it's not like he has to keep it a secret. Most people won't believe him, and the ones that do will probably be his allies. Though, yes, in some situation it could be better for him to pretend to be Miyavi (the one he swapped with.)

Man... I thought it was going to be a man.... wasn't expecting snake mommy

Dex-chan lover
It's incredible how the arrive of Snakewoman-Drunkster Teacher with AFO vibes completely erased the Editor in chief Mario's joke.
It's me a-Editor!

Dex-chan lover
So she is always drunk because she is Yamata-no-Orochi after all. Lol.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation and appreciate all the hard work!! Please keep it up!
Also, bruh. My dude. I like you but also the self-awareness of whose body you're in 😂 but now I wonder how the mentor/teach is going to factor in. Is she going to be defensive for her former pupil? Or is she going to berate him?
A dragon, chameleon, snake...what's next? A salamander???
Maybe a crocodile and a komodo. Heck, I'm not surprised if Suzaku, Byakko and Genbu are drawing mangas in that world.

Dex-chan lover
Now this is why I really wanted to scanlate this

Except MangaUp has began posting official translations. For now, we're tentatively planning on continuing the scanlation, but depending on factors like their pace, we might want to consider moving on to something else. We'll see.
Thank you for the hard work you did (and any future hard work, in case you keep going, which I personally hope you do)

The "teach", is that an actual "mentor" thing, or is it just a "sensei" (like any fellow acknowledged mangaka)?

Fed-Kun's army
Ah, it's the lady that's the cover, since she's his teacher she'll probably figure him out immediately

Reactions: W0X
Custom title
Staff
Developer
Thank you for the hard work you did (and any future hard work, in case you keep going, which I personally hope you do)

The "teach", is that an actual "mentor" thing, or is it just a "sensei" (like any fellow acknowledged mangaka)?
It's 師匠, shishou. Dictionary definitions are "master, teacher; sumo coach/stable master", describing someone who's a master of their craft, and a teacher in a master-disciple kind of relationship rather than like a more typical teacher-student one. It's the same word we translated as "mentor" in that flashback panel, and back then that felt like a very natural and accurate word choice. It still does, it's just a little inconsistent now.

Unfortunately Mentor is a pretty awkward word to use to actually directly address someone. The obvious choice then (the kind that a machine translation would give you) would be Master or Mistress, but thankfully we could read ahead because it will later turn out that that wouldn't have been a good choice. After a lot of waffling we settled on Teach since it fits Hanagami's speech and their relationship, not perfectly but well enough.

Dex-chan lover
In the eyes of a publisher, a talent who built their name and connections under their wing to then build their own publishing house and actively snipe the talents and their works off of the former publisher is ultimately an evil attempt to end a publishing house's livelihood. Surely you realize the subjectivity of the topic?

If you still fail to see their perspective, then you are probably a capitalist.
I entirely realize that as I pointed out in my very post that I'd be more on their side if they didn't spew hypocrisy and just admitted they were angry about that. And all of those benefits you're talking about are the publisher's literal job. Might as well get offended at the publishers for hiring a new artist and dropping a low performing one if we wanna be fair about that example you brought up. After all, the artists did all that work helping the publisher make money and now they have the audacity to just hire somebody else? Fuck that double standard. They need to offer some damn job security.

They lost the benefit of the doubt when I noticed they're actively using blacklisting as a behavioral control which is scummy as fuck. It would be one thing if they just got rid of problem employees, but they just admitted it's not that. We saw in an earlier chapter that money is tight for these artists even on a weekly/monthly basis and they have to become assistant artists to keep the lights on. The fact that our MC was an exception where they made sure it wouldn't make it impossible to feed themselves implies that everyone else they temporarily blacklist is expected to fall into poverty and/or desperately struggle to survive on a different job with what probably amounts to zero warning? You're going on about the publicist's livelihood when they are chuckling about playing actual mind games with their employee's livelihood on panel. And you call not siding with that shit capitalist? Really?

Dex-chan lover
And you call not siding with that shit capitalist? Really?
You got me. I was wrong, after reading your explanation i can see that I you're not a capitalist, you're just plain dumb.

TL;DR From how I see it, you're making opinions based on assumptions and leaps of logic.
And all of those benefits you're talking about are the publisher's literal job.
You consider "Actively sniping artists and their works off a single publishing house" a benefit or did you skip that part of the argument? Because I put that part on bold for a good reason.

they're actively using blacklisting as a behavioral control
Uh... can you point me which part of the manga you're referring to by this? Because AFAIK within the story so far, the blacklist is used as a stake in the competition and not swung around as a threat for regular artists.

If you're referring its usage as a stake in the competition as behavioral control, you're wrong. Because:
image.png

Within the competition, the blacklist is temporary because it is an "unorthodox penalty". It is mentioned that there's only 1 person being perma-blacklisted, because they are actively sniping Shounen Wonder's most popular artist, which endangers that single publishing house itself. You can see the logic right?

If you're referring to the existence of the blacklist itself is being used a behavioral control by them, then frankly i don't see your point because there is no basis for this. So far within the story, there is exactly zero mention of them misusing it. Every company be it fictional or IRL have some form of a blacklist, because a company reserve the right to hire, fire and refuse to hire someone. Y'know, the same way an applicant reserve the right to apply for, accept or deny a job offer.
I would've agreed with you if there were mentions of them misusing it, but there weren't. So that train of thought is baseless.

money is tight for these artists even on a weekly/monthly basis and they have to become assistant artists to keep the lights on.
That's just reality dude lmao.

The fact that our MC was an exception where they made sure it wouldn't make it impossible to feed themselves implies that everyone else they temporarily blacklist is expected to fall into poverty and/or desperately struggle to survive on a different job with what probably amounts to zero warning?
1. MC was essentially not an exception. Even IF you consider the deputy editor referring the MC to other publishing houses as an exception, it is due to the nature of the blacklist as a gameshow punishment instead of a normal blacklist.

2. MC (And everyone else that is blacklisted whether temp or perma) is free to carry his own works as portfolio to other publishing houses for work. There is no basis to assume otherwise.

3. There is no indication that they're misusing the blacklist, therefore no indications of foul play.

4. You forgot to consider that anyone else that have been temp-banned might have done something deserving of it, and you are making an assumption that they're not taking the risks of being blacklisted into consideration.

5. If one were to get blacklisted from a company, unless they've done something that'd immediately paint the company itself in bad picture to public eyes (i.e something criminal like raping a child), did you not consider that one will get more than sufficient amount of warning beforehand? Because it seems that you didn't.

And lastly, I'd like to reiterate that It is not hypocritical for an EDITOR-IN-CHIEF to paint someone that threatened to KILL THEIR MAGAZINE as EVIL to HIS EDITOR SUBORDINATES. Like i said. It's subjective.

If you're reading this, congrats and thanks for reading ig lmao
image.png

Dex-chan lover
I wonder what kind of benefits did she offer that she almost succeed persuading top artists, and how they stop her at all.

Dex-chan lover
You got me. I was wrong, after reading your explanation i can see that I you're not a capitalist, you're just plain dumb.

TL;DR From how I see it, you're making opinions based on assumptions and leaps of logic.
Man. I didn't even have to read the spoiled part to start admiring that glass house you're in.

Users who are viewing this thread