Dragon Quest: The Great Adventure of Dai - Avan the Brave and the Demon King of Hellfire - Vol. 14 Ch. 55 - Avan's Desperate Situation

Group Leader
Joined
Feb 17, 2023
Messages
155
And we're back! I took a week off last week for Otakon. This week we have Chapter 55, Avan's Desperate Situation, where we finally see just why Avan wasn't able to immediately go save Hyunckel. A reminder - I now have a monthly subscription to V Jump, so we'll get some new extra pages from the month that chapter appeared in V Jump.

And also, a special home brew chapter 55.5.

In the past when a chapter had a scene that was flashback in the original series, I would point it out and show how the panels were similar (down to the strangest smallest little details). Well, Hyunckels entire early life is one big flashback and it was too hard to keep track of each frame or scene as it was being translated. So instead I've put together a special little treat - a chapter that has side by side comparisons of Hyunckel's story from childhood through the inevitable day he finds himself in Mystvearn's arms.
 
Group Leader
Joined
Feb 17, 2023
Messages
155
Oooh I also really like in this chapter how Avan asks Tempest about the bodies and their abilities to be freed before destroying Suigun's vessel's arms. I wonder what he would have done if the human bodies could have been saved?
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Mar 16, 2018
Messages
1,430
What an absolute kino spread.

Oh my God you didn't say that to Myst. You didn't just slander my goat like that. Literally cringed IRL.

Jesus Christ making the opponent Grand Cross so they damage themselves is so smart, Avan's way too goated.

What a great chapter all around. And man, the side-by-side sure is a crazy glow-up. Not that the art is bad per-se or anything but it really shows how things have changed so much ever since.
 
Group Leader
Joined
Feb 17, 2023
Messages
155
Suigun's inner monologue, "(Wait, this means I win, right? I won!)"
He just thought he'd be the one to be in charge! lol.

Kinda says something that you can completely "disarm" these weapons simply by picking them up and moving them away from their body. Though I also seem to recall the magic they use to control the body does allow for some degree of separation. But it's funny to think they could prank each other by hiding their bodies XD.
 
Group Leader
Joined
Feb 17, 2023
Messages
155
This is going faster than I thought.
Yeah, this arc ends by chapter 60. We begin the Maam arc at chapter 61. Which leaves me wondering who or what will be the next big-bad?

I mean Hadlar is asleep and we still have
10
years until the main story starts
There is a 3 year timeskip coming up, well explained in the story
So we could have Avan meet Baran, who has already lost Saola and hates humanity, maybe with a young Larhart? or young other dragon riders? But that would require not killing them. It's hard to imagine they keep introducing new big bads for Avan to face as they have no basis in the OG source material... but there needs to be some sort of conflict... I mean it could also just be a volume or two of "Popp and Avan - a slice of life adventure!" for the final few volumes, but it would be strange for the stakes to progressively get lower as the series progresses (though necessary for the lead-in to the main series, especially considering Popp didn't seem well aclimated to battle so he and Avan shouldn't face too much hardship).

I just got chapter 63 in the mail today (V Jump FTW!) which should be titled,
Responsible Gun Ownership - wherein we give this 5 year old child a gun and leave her unsupervised!
.
 
Last edited:
Group Leader
Joined
Feb 17, 2023
Messages
155
Page 8 editing trace left over
Which page? counting the first page with the logo, or the first page being content? They have numbers on the bottom (101, 102?)... and I'm not seeing any problems on them... if you can explain it I can fix it.

Oh fuck I see it... Honestly, it isn't blocking any content and all the scrapers have already taken it to the myriad of other sites. I'll be more careful in the future. Honestly I'm not even sure how that got in there because I save pages the normal way, not taking screenshots... that literally shouldn't be able to even be there!!
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 27, 2018
Messages
135
Yeah, this arc ends by chapter 60. We begin the Maam arc at chapter 61. Which leaves me wondering who or what will be the next big-bad?

I mean Hadlar is asleep and we still have
10
years until the main story starts
There is a 3 year timeskip coming up, well explained in the story
So we could have Avan meet Baran, who has already lost Saola and hates humanity, maybe with a young Larhart? or young other dragon riders? But that would require not killing them. It's hard to imagine they keep introducing new big bads for Avan to face as they have no basis in the OG source material... but there needs to be some sort of conflict... I mean it could also just be a volume or two of "Popp and Avan - a slice of life adventure!" for the final few volumes, but it would be strange for the stakes to progressively get lower as the series progresses (though necessary for the lead-in to the main series, especially considering Popp didn't seem well aclimated to battle so he and Avan shouldn't face too much hardship).

I just got chapter 63 in the mail today (V Jump FTW!) which should be titled,
Responsible Gun Ownership - wherein we give this 5 year old child a gun and leave her unsupervised!
.
Maam arc!?!?!? :meguupog:

As for what's to come as a challenge? I always thought we could get a peek at Avan's first run of the holy caves.
 
Group Leader
Joined
Feb 17, 2023
Messages
155
Maam arc!?!?!? :meguupog:

As for what's to come as a challenge? I always thought we could get a peek at Avan's first run of the holy caves.
Yes Maam arc! The current publishing volume (ch 61, 62, 63 and 64) has been the start of the Maam arc... I'm hoping it's not all we get of Maam, but it does seem to be approaching a definitive "end" unless he decides to visit Maam multiple times (which I believe Maam said he did do, he visited frequently). But in
Maam gets her necklace and comes to accept using her gun
, so I'm not really sure what else he'd be doing with Maam after that.

I also thought we'd get to see the caves, too... However
He uses Kaglimmer on a foe, which means he already reached the floor to learn Kaglimmer, which means we won't watch him "discover" the caves
... though he may still visit. However, if this series goes past the opening of Dai and shows us what he was up to when "dead" then it wouldn't make sense to visit there twice (once while "dead", and again in the prequel years for whatever reason) unless there's a compelling reason to do so.

TBH I'm not really sure where the story is going to go after the current publishing volume. I'm not seeing any big bads, and storylines are wrapping up, and if the Popp arc is as short as the Maam arc, we may be seeing this series end a bit sooner than I wanted (next 8 to 12 months / 2 to 3 book volumes)!
 
Group Leader
Joined
Feb 17, 2023
Messages
155
Mystvern saving hynckel and the fate of the owners who hold the beruk weapons for so long I also read the little surprise you posted I really liked it
Oh, are you not familiar with the original series? This happens in a flashback for Hyunckel (you can even see the scene comparison in the special chapter 55.5). If you haven't read it, you definitely should! Or just watch the 2020 anime because it was fantastic!
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jun 17, 2023
Messages
67
I love that almost all of Matoriv's scenes are in top 10 scene ranking, that is 1000% true

Tho, my fave is probs when the mage troll show sign of respect to Matoriv by discarding his integrity, a true respect that you need to remove any sort of ideal just to beat your nemesis

Even better since Puff is such a high level spell in older DQ like V, really a good callback
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Sep 25, 2020
Messages
819
Oh, are you not familiar with the original series? This happens in a flashback for Hyunckel (you can even see the scene comparison in the special chapter 55.5). If you haven't read it, you definitely should! Or just watch the 2020 anime because it was fantastic!
I did read the original.. but that ages ago.. I honestly forgot some story / details
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 29, 2018
Messages
520
I love that almost all of Matoriv's scenes are in top 10 scene ranking, that is 1000% true

Tho, my fave is probs when the mage troll show sign of respect to Matoriv by discarding his integrity, a true respect that you need to remove any sort of ideal just to beat your nemesis

Even better since Puff is such a high level spell in older DQ like V, really a good callback
Wich was ironic because in the future Hadlar got stronger by giving away his body, greed and ambitions to kept his pride that was stated that Hadlar didn't got so extremely dangerous just because of his new stronger body but also for his newfound determination and lack of hesitation unlike before
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top