Dungeon Crawl : Stone Soup

Contributor
This is probably the best game I've ever played.

For all those who don't know:

It's a free roguelike game. Basically, it's a game where death is permanent, the dungeon is randomly generated and there's a specific objective to achieve(Get the orb of Zot and get out the dungeon.)

This is easier said than done though, and it pretty much took me 2 years to finally win the game. It's extremely difficult at first, and very dependent on player skill. The game has lots of replay value as well, as there are many combinations of species, class and god that all change the way you play DCSS.

Even after playing it for about 4~ years now, I still haven't completely mastered it yet. Even with my current 27 wins, so that goes to show how 'deep' the gameplay is.

You can download it and play if offline or, you can play it online here:
https://crawl.develz.org/

There's also a youtube series of tutorials designed for newbies here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfoi8c0Na28&list=PLaA1ahtMIRbMFYZxO_QSOG6DFijuf8doF

I prefer to play online, because wins and losses are logged on there, for all players playing online, and it's pretty satisfying watching your page fill up with wins.

For the more hardcore players, big achievements like streaking(winning games one after the other without losing.) are also logged. Highscores are also logged after every game, and many players try to get the best score by winning a game in the fewest turns possible, so there's a competitive element if you're into that sort of that stuff.

Also: the game is actively developed by a group of contributors on GitHub, so there's always new stuff being added into the game(and major changes tend to happen every 6+ months when a new version is released.)

Dex-chan lover
Phew, there are other Roguelikes like ADOM, time to throw your time and sanity away if you play. I'll *ing murder the RNG one day I swear. I prefer the ASCII look but some games got graphical tileset.

Users who are viewing this thread