Dungeon Meshi - Vol. 14 Ch. 97.7 - Extra - The Daltian Clan Series : Book Source vs Live Adaptation

Dex-chan lover
literally the only thing more delusional than shippers grasping at every interaction are the people who deny there is any chance of anything romantic at all. fellas, there has got to be a happy medium between "they're in love because they looked at each other" and "there is a zero percent chance that these characters that keep sleeping together and bathing together and get mad about & chase off each other's suitors and keep getting drawn sitting in each others laps by the mangaka and wear each other's underwear in the anime have any romantic interest at all"
There's definitely something between these anime characters because they take a bath together and sleep next to each other! @ why do you deny this possibility? - Ah shit, here we go again. Every second of you seems to have just started watching anime yesterday and is not familiar with 90% of the tropes and traditions of Japanese life. Not to mention that she is jealous of her suitors not because of crushing, but because as her only friend, she is afraid of stay alone again. Not only is this a common "protective friend" motif in anime, but it's also something that happens a lot in real life. Because lovers often "steal" even the most devoted friends.

So it's not a matter of "blindly denying all possibilities", it's just a matter of common sense and at least a basic understanding of anime tropes. I can fully understand the denial of radical antagonism and clashing of foreheads, but forcing "happy medium" is no way better, especially when, under its guise, you are simply once again trying to promote one of the parties

Last edited:
I wonder how things would gobdown between them for an anime stageplay original that was adapted to manga literature.

Dex-chan lover
I don′t have much context for why all of the shipping hate may be since I binged through the series just as it was ending, but reading their relationship as romantic or strongly platonic are both perfectly valid. The present chapter works equally well if they are simply friends, or have budding feelings of something more. As I personally like the ship, I interpret them as having the beginnings of feelings for eachother here, but not consciously recognizing them. Maybe there are romantic feelings intended, maybe not, but even if there was unambiguous denial of anything romantic between them, there′s no rule that says headcanon cannot directly contradict what was written.
As for those who say it is practically confirmed gay, while I don′t agree it is an understandable stance to have. There′s a long enough history of subtext being used to incorperate homosexuality among other things that would otherise not fly that it′s little wonder many people have learned to pick up on the subtle cues. Of course, such conventions could be used unintentionally by those who don′t know about them and by design a lot can be read into something seemingly inconsiquential. Still, unless someone is looking for a fight, you could at least drop the subject rather than fight over canon and interpritation.
On a mostly unrelated note, I would like to know where Kaberu × Laios came from as I haven’t been able to figure it out myself.

As you said, just because some cues can be interpreted as subtext doesn't mean they are or that they're there in the first place; and there has been cases of people making them up because "X and Y SHOULD TOTALLY be together". And shippers can be(not "are", but "can be". there's chill ones) a really passionate and/or noisy bunch, shoving in your face their ship of choice, like it or not.

For those of us that don't care/doesn't like the idea about ships or have our ships somewhere else, it gets tiring. Shippers have rights to have their fun, but not necessarily at the expense of us who want nothing of it. Sure, you "can" ignore them, but when the comments' threads get saturated of shipping comments, "ignoring them" can be pretty difficult if not impossible.

Also, the Headcanon thing gets used more often than not, as a reflective excuse. Sure, everyone can think whatever they want about the work, but when you expose said opinions to the public, they have the right to call you about the hoghwash you made and of ignoring crucial points of the source material, if it does. But the moment somebody yells "headcanon!" it's like nobody has rights to criticize it and you get to violate the original work if you so wish.

"Those two DEFINITELY have the hots for each other!"
"They've been rivals and later mortal enemies since they appeared, though."
"That's to hide the attraction they passionately have for each other, FOR SURE!"
"They nearly murdered each other twenty chapters ago or so."
"... SHUT UP! IT'S MY HEADCANON, YOU SHIP-HATER!"

And that's how a polite discussion ends. Y may have gone a bit far on the straw here, but unfortunately I had some experiences on similar veins...

Dex-chan lover
Holy carp. I leave for lunch with the comment halfway and I missed a lot of the party:notlikethis:

Imagine if Falin and Marcille started talking (and heatedly disagreeing) about ships and their canonicity in this chapter. Now that would be perfect for the fandom parallels.

As you said, just because some cues can be interpreted as subtext doesn't mean they are or that they're there in the first place; and there has been cases of people making them up because "X and Y SHOULD TOTALLY be together". And shippers can be(not "are", but "can be". there's chill ones) a really passionate and/or noisy bunch, shoving in your face their ship of choice, like it or not.

For those of us that don't care/doesn't like the idea about ships or have our ships somewhere else, it gets tiring. Shippers have rights to have their fun, but not necessarily at the expense of us who want nothing of it. Sure, you "can" ignore them, but when the comments' threads get saturated of shipping comments, "ignoring them" can be pretty difficult if not impossible.

Also, the Headcanon thing gets used more often than not, as a reflective excuse. Sure, everyone can think whatever they want about the work, but when you expose said opinions to the public, they have the right to call you about the hoghwash you made and of ignoring crucial points of the source material, if it does. But the moment somebody yells "headcanon!" it's like nobody has rights to criticize it and you get to violate the original work if you so wish.

"Those two DEFINITELY have the hots for each other!"
"They've been rivals and later mortal enemies since they appeared, though."
"That's to hide the attraction they passionately have for each other, FOR SURE!"
"They nearly murdered each other twenty chapters ago or so."
"... SHUT UP! IT'S MY HEADCANON, YOU SHIP-HATER!"

And that's how a polite discussion ends. Y may have gone a bit far on the straw here, but unfortunately I had some experiences on similar veins...
As I said before, I′ve had my fill of talking about shipping, canon, and the rest. As such, I won′t be reading this comment in full. I hope you will forgive me for this, as it′s a matter of caring more about my emotional well being and not not intended as a flippant dismissal of what you have to say. I would appreciate if you and others don′t respond to me now about anything but simply enjoying the chapter in some manner.

Fed-Kun's army
lowzg1.jpg

Double-page supporter
Glad we got this chapter. I'm a big believer of Farcille, but I love them just spending time together regardless and sharing interests.

Thanks for uploading!

Users who are viewing this thread