Dungeon Meshi - Vol. 14 Ch. 97.7 - Extra - The Daltian Clan Series : Book Source vs Live Adaptation

Dex-chan lover
I can understand finding fandom stuff you don't like annoying, but unless it's a chatroom or Discord server, you can just ignore the discussions you don't like and interact with those you do - even within the same thread!
Yeah, I mostly avoid those kind of places. But sometimes most people in regular threads get too much into it and for months on end, I have sometimes to get out of the conversation because it's a monotheme of ships when it's not even remotely the main theme. Sometimes people get too carried away and sour the conversation for people who are not into that, and I think that's what happened here too watching reactions.

Last edited:
There is at least some overlap in the form of those who care about both canon and ships (me). I would suspect, though, that at least some part of it is how canon is read. Naturally, when reading with an eye for creative fanworks, one will look for possibilities of what could be. Strong possibilities in the form of established relationships that would be compelling or seem particularly close to changing in form naturally provide an attractive jumping off point. From there, the most popular ones easily become accepted fact though hopefully with an understanding towards those who don′t ship it. Meanwhile in the synthesitive side of the fandom (which is no less creative, just in a different way), all that matters is what is in the text. Rather than building out, ideas are built inwards, exploring every detail of what is already there. Since they are built from the same foundation but the former is much more loose with it, it′s natural that disagreements about that foundatin would form. And then, since it is a foundation, such disagreements can be seen as a threat to the whole of one′s work built off of it.
I could point to all of the scenes that in my eyes speak of romantic possibility and then I′m sure someone here would be happy to play the role of pointing to scenes that in their eyes speak of platonic fact. We would then after a bavk and forth leave, frustrated with eachother.
I′m sure I saw a video essay about this phenominon some time ago, but I am too lazy to dig it back up.

Yeah, I mostly avoid those kind of places. But sometimes most people in regular threads get too much into it and for months on end, I have sometimes to get out of the conversation because it's a monotheme of ships when it's not even remotely the main theme. Sometimes people get too carried away and sour the conversation for people that are not into that, and I think that's what happened here too watching reactions.
The same could be said for those into shipping when in places dominated by those into theorizing canon. It′s bothersome yes, but in my experience just a fact of fan spaces. Sometimes you won′t agree with the prevailing voices and have to search to find your people. It is what it is, but not some great tragedy all things considered.

Dex-chan lover
The same could be said for those into shipping when in places dominated by those into theorizing canon. It′s bothersome yes, but in my experience just a fact of fan spaces. Sometimes you won′t agree with the prevailing voices and have to search to find your people. It is what it is, but not some great tragedy all things considered.
But we are in the main thread, we are here to discuss the canon primarily. Theory is what make this fun, but if people get to derail the conversation about something that has nothing to do or it's grasping by a couple of hairs for an extended period of time, of course people who are not interested in that is going to ask you to stop and make a thread dedicated to that.

It's not only about ships, like I said before, the Tsumiki forums were unreadable for months because people were crying ntr everyime the vampire appeared. It was insufferable.

Dex-chan lover
Concept of "canon" is just corporate stranglehold traditional act of communal storytelling.

But we are in the main thread, we are here to discuss the canon primarily.
To my understanding the threads are for discussing the chapter and its relation to the story as a whole. That can be done through canon or theory and more removed ideas. Talking about this chapter in relation to Farcille is still talking about the chapter. The Laios × Kaberu was off topic I readily admit, but it was a breif adside and I would have happily left for elsewhere should someone compain and had that gone on longer. Conversations naturally meander and can change topics which isn′t suited for an organized form structure after all. Regardless, unless a moderator says so, of you can point to a place in the rules that indicates fanon is not welcome, I don′t see why it shouldn′t have a place here.

Dex-chan lover
To my understanding the threads are for discussing the chapter and its relation to the story as a whole. That can be done through canon or theory and more removed ideas. Talking about this chapter in relation to Farcille is still talking about the chapter. The Laios × Kaberu was off topic I readily admit, but it was a breif adside and I would have happily left for elsewhere should someone compain and had that gone on longer. Conversations naturally meander and can change topics which isn′t suited for an organized form structure after all. Regardless, unless a moderator says so, of you can point to a place in the rules that indicates fanon is not welcome, I don′t see why it shouldn′t have a place here.
The question is not that the ship is not relevant to the topic of the chapter. The issue is that this very clearly goes beyond the line of “they are so cute together, I ship them” into a rather obsessive attempt to pass off the most banal friendly interaction as the fact of their relationship. Even mockingly implying that to deny this is to deny the obvious. Although we just have two BFFs in a fairly normal activity for friends. You quickly get emotionally tired of this, because it looks intrusive and quickly turns into pressure.

You could easily write the same thing about the behavior of male characters in some shonen, but given the obviously different audience, I'm afraid that it will end up in an even more heated conflict much faster. Which is essentially what happened when people mistranslated Mineta's words in one of the MHA chapters.

daily reminder falin pegs marcille and this is objectively canon
Hey Demon, was wondering where you had gone off to. Glad to see someone is still having lighthearted fun.
The issue is that this very clearly goes beyond the line of “they are so cute together, I ship them” into a rather obsessive attempt to pass off the most banal friendly interaction as the fact of their relationship.
It certainly is a fact to some people, but why is that an issue? To each their own interpretation, and if someone doesn′t agree with yours and there is no possibility of being respectful of eachother then drop it. Granted, history has made both sides wary to the other which makes things harder (like we are experiencing right here), but it′s worth the effort at least as far as I′m concerned. The frustration absolutely goes both ways, and it′s not like either side is wholly wrong, just treating the material differently. I at least try to never begrudge others seeing an undeniable romantic relationship where I don′t. Lore vs. ship wars may be the default outcome, but since I value both, I do aim to prevent either from being disapraged in my interactions.
Also, “they are so cute together, I ship them” naturally also makes one search for a ship reading of interactions.

Dex-chan lover
Hey Demon, was wondering where you had gone off to. Glad to see someone is still having lighthearted fun.

It certainly is a fact to some people, but why is that an issue? To each their own interpretation, and if someone doesn′t agree with yours and there is no possibility of being respectful of eachother then drop it. Granted, history has made both sides wary to the other which makes things harder (like we are experiencing right here), but it′s worth the effort at least as far as I′m concerned. The frustration absolutely goes both ways, and it′s not like either side is wholly wrong, just treating the material differently. I at least try to never begrudge others seeing an undeniable romantic relationship where I don′t. Lore vs. ship wars may be the default outcome, but since I value both, I do aim to prevent either from being disapraged in my interactions.
Also, “they are so cute together, I ship them” naturally also makes one search for a ship reading of interactions.
Again, the problem is not in the interpretations themselves, but in the fact that this is repeated over and over again as a supposedly objective fact with or without reason. Especially when the chapter literally shows nothing that could even be remotely called suspicious. This is simply a reconstruction of fujoshi's behavior in the worst sense. Although I don't remember fujoshi being that intrusive even while watching battle shonens in the 00s.

And I can bet that if I were also passive-aggressive in promoting either of my ships, or constantly denying their relationship without any bait, they would be the first to call me out for it.

Last edited:
Okay, I think we′ve finally established some crux of the issue (or maybe I only just realized now what you′ve been saying the whole time, but I live and I learn). I think that it′s fine to treat something not confirmed by canon as fact, taking the negotiated reading that it is a personal belief and is not intended to be a statement towards everyone. You think a statement of something as fact is arguing that anyone who disagrees with it is going against canon. I don′t doubt that some people actually think that way, but again, giving the benefit of the doubt at least leaves the opportunity for peaceful resolution rather than frustration. Even if most people in the fandom are of that mind, I′d seek out a more reasonable pocket that isn′t, keep out of the popular channels, and enjoy my time rather than constantly worry over it.

Dex-chan lover
Okay, I think we′ve finally established some crux of the issue (or maybe I only just realized now what you′ve been saying the whole time, but I live and I learn). I think that it′s fine to treat something not confirmed by canon as fact, taking the negotiated reading that it is a personal belief and is not intended to be a statement towards everyone. You think a statement of something as fact is arguing that anyone who disagrees with it is going against canon. I don′t doubt that some people actually think that way, but again, giving the benefit of the doubt at least leaves the opportunity for peaceful resolution rather than frustration. Even if most people in the fandom are of that mind, I′d seek out a more reasonable pocket that isn′t, keep out of the popular channels, and enjoy my time rather than constantly worry over it.
It doesn't surprise me that some people actually think this way. I know what headcanons and shipping are. And I'm not so prudish as to be hostile to any non-canonical things. All these are absolutely normal things of fun and feedback, regardless of what I personally think about it. It just gets boring very quickly when people try to constantly bring the conversation down to this, even when there's no reason to do so. Especially presenting it as something objective. Whether intentional or not, it comes across as passive-aggressively pushing his headcanons, no matter what they're about.

Whether intentional or not, it comes across as passive-aggressively pushing his headcanons, no matter what they're about.
Understandable. I suppose our differing backgrounds give us different readings of the same text, much like different backgrounds will incline people to read Farcille as canon or not. And with that, I think we have a wrap on this discussion. I hope you are able to find a forum for Dungeon Meshi discussion more aligned to your interests.

Dex-chan lover
Understandable. I suppose our differing backgrounds give us different readings of the same text, much like different backgrounds will incline people to read Farcille as canon or not. And with that, I think we have a wrap on this discussion. I hope you are able to find a forum for Dungeon Meshi discussion more aligned to your interests.
This dialogue has left me so exhausted that I don't think I'll want to actively discuss this title anytime soon, lol. But hey, as I said, I don’t care as long as people don’t try to push it as something obvious over and over again. However, as you yourself answered, we've all already expressed our opinions here multiple times, so this dialogue really doesn't make much sense anymore. Again, unless you want to continue it in private messages someday.

Nah, I′m done myself. Sorry that it was so bothersome to you. I was under the impression that if the talk was too taxing then you would step away for a while like I did yesterday. I absolutely don′t want to make someone else feel drained and unfufilled after a conversation as I am familiar with the sensation myself.

Dex-chan lover
Nah, I′m done myself. Sorry that it was so bothersome to you. I was under the impression that if the talk was too taxing then you would step away for a while like I did yesterday. I absolutely don′t want to make someone else feel drained and unfufilled after a conversation as I am familiar with the sensation myself.
No, don't take it personally. You were a pretty adequate "opponent", I'm just generally tired of the forum today. So if you share my feeling, then all I can do is wish you a pleasant weekend and put an end to this on my part. As it seems to me, we said everything we wanted, so I won't try to "have the last word."

Dex-chan lover
I can understand why people ship them. But it always confuses me when people immediately mark any character interactions as "obvious ship teases/hints" simply because they ship them. Celebrated a friend's birthday? Go to the cinema with him to see the your hyped adaptation of favorite book? Lovers :D

Well, I'm not 100% sure, but the one-eyed androgynous elf bishonen seems to be pointing directly at him.
Agreed. Same with people assuming Marcille sitting on a chair by Laos meant something during chapter 97.5. If some as simple as that meant something, then I guess a movie "date" with blushing probably counts more; but in general this series has no romantic focus between any of them. They're all more like family, two sisters and a brother.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Agreed. Same with people assuming Marcille sitting on a chair by Laos meant something during chapter 97.5. If some as simple as that meant something, then I guess a movie "date" with blushing probably counts more; but in general this series has no romantic focus between any of them. They're all more like family, two sisters and a brother.
I could say that people have simply forgotten how to value meaningful and strong platonic bonds between characters, but this still does not explain the persistent search for it even in this objectively platonic interactions. It's as if shipping goggles have now lost any satirical overtones and are now considered a legitimate way to prove someone's relationship.

Last edited:
literally the only thing more delusional than shippers grasping at every interaction are the people who deny there is any chance of anything romantic at all. fellas, there has got to be a happy medium between "they're in love because they looked at each other" and "there is a zero percent chance that these characters that keep sleeping together and bathing together and get mad about & chase off each other's suitors and keep getting drawn sitting in each others laps by the mangaka and wear each other's underwear in the anime have any romantic interest at all"

Last edited:
There is, I was under the impression that the dicussion had ended on good terms with proper nuance. Giving the benefit of the doubt, different people will have different feelings on the matter and may not be persuaded by or happy with the previous statements. This conversation could very well go on forever, with different people ducking in and out, but I hope it ends because that sounds exhausting. On that note, I hope everyone who continues with it finds fufillment or happiness in the exercise since I don′t think there′s much of that left for me here. Goodbye.
p.s. Even though this is still in the context of dungeon meshi, and thus not completely unsited to chapter comments, I′m sure there must be a manga discussion for the relation between shipping, canon, and popular interpritation.

Users who are viewing this thread