Eiyuu to Kenja no Tensei Kon ~Katsute no Koutekishu to Kon'yakushite Saikyou Fuufu ni Narimashita~ - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - The princess challenges The Hero…

Dex-chan lover
You quoted an authority without anything (such as a citation) to tell the reader the sort of the authority.

Quoting a dictionary that does not attempt to distinguish proper and improper use, but merely identifies observed uses, can lead to mistaken interpretation. Your subsequent snarkiness not-withstanding, you probably began with an honest mistake, but you made things needlessly difficult by not identifying the source that you were quoting.
There is no such thing as improper use. There is only real language as spoken by native speakers.
No fancy-pants academician has the right to dictate to people what is wrong and what is right.

Dex-chan lover
For anyone wondering where the linguistic sidequest going on came from, I'm fairly certain that the offending section of the chapter is on Page 37 (The other image is from the online version of the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English):
ioown0.png

Oeconomist is noting this improper usage (improper based on the formal usage and grammar rules as prescribed), however simultaneously only provided inherently different examples of improper usage (as they were each written with the speaker as the one being recommended), making it harder to follow their point in making the comment

The simplest fix here would be as follows:
8q6sad.png

(although I personally dislike this, it is the proper usage (descriptive linguistics my beloved))

Also, if we're already going to be pedants anyway, "that's" is a contraction of "that is," meaning the first sentence reads "that is also Chris!" Given that they are speaking about a past event, this should also be changed, providing us with the following end result:
kmorsa.png

After making this comment, I realized that you can also just remove "her" entirely, like this:
9ld24d.png

This is by far the best one imo

Dex-chan lover
You can spent all your magic? So it didn't regenerate over time? Well,.next chap would probably answer my question.

Dex-chan lover
Shouldn't the chapter title use the word 'wagering' instead of 'waging'?

Dex-chan lover
So to do some further investigation, I went on Google Ngram to see which usage is more common, here's a link to what I searched: https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=recommend+me+a,recommend+to+me+a,to+me+recommend+a&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=en-2019&smoothing=3
I couldn't figure out how to compare Example 1 with the other three, but I think we all agree that it's correct so we don't need to discuss it.
Anyway, it looks like example 4 is far more common than example 3 (as I expected), and is even more common than example 2. I think this is pretty strong evidence that "recommend me a book" is natural enough to use.
Maybe another interesting observation is that example 2 is used more than 4 in the period 1962-1982, which coincides quite well with when the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English was written (according to Wikipedia). But that's 40 years ago, and grammar changes with time.

On the other hand, if we replace "me" with "her", examples 2 and 4 appear with about the same frequency, with example 2 actually appearing more frequently in the past. So maybe adding a "to" would be better in the specific usage this chapter had ¯\(ツ)

I'd be interested if you can find any occurrence of "to me recommend a book/whatever" in the wild though, since Google Ngram isn't turning up any results.
Your confusion of commonality with correctness leads you to errors in both of two directions. Errors may be common, and forms may be correct yet uncommon. I noted at the outset that two of the correct forms were unusual. All that you've exhibited is that one form is less common than an error.

Scanlators should only use common errors exactly when translating the dialogue of characters to whom errors would be fitting.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
You quoted an authority without anything (such as a citation) to tell the reader the sort of the authority.

Quoting a dictionary that does not attempt to distinguish proper and improper use, but merely identifies observed uses, can lead to mistaken interpretation. Your subsequent snarkiness not-withstanding, you probably began with an honest mistake, but you made things needlessly difficult by not identifying the source that you were quoting.
You made things needlessly difficult by acting like a stuck-up cunt, but nobody's perfect ¯\(ツ)

Three Points:

1. Always set-off vocatives with punctuation (typically a comma). Not just sometimes; always.

2. The verb “recommend” does not take an inner and outer accusative.
  • “recommend a book to me” ← correct
  • “recommend to me a book” ← correct but unusual
  • “to me recommend a book” ← correct but unusual
  • “recommend me a book” ← incorrect
3. Do not trust the English that you find in translations by non-native speakers. Many bad practices are being propagated because of imitation.

[Edited to provide a link, after mistaken responses by other commentators.]
It sounds like you're being pedantic for the sake of being pedantic; languages are fluid things that evolve as the cultures of those who speak it evolve. This includes those native speakers as well as those who are not native speakers. People invent new uses for words that get added to modern dictionaries all the time. Foreign words get added to a language all the time. Rather than calling out something for being grammatically incorrect, it's generally more helpful to phrase it in terms of sounding awkward.

Combine that with you calling out non-native speakers, you sound absolutely zenophobic. The fact that you keep handling any criticism really poorly, you sound like you sound like an arrogant prick rather than trying to actually help out translators.

Dex-chan lover
You made things needlessly difficult by acting like a stuck-up cunt, but nobody's perfect ¯\(ツ)
No, you only saw me as a stuck-up cunt because I simplly and directly told you what you did wrong, whereas you felt entitled to deference.

Dex-chan lover
Sorry for the essay, I realise that the point I'm trying to make was also said by @flannan and @Hrien but hopefully this is a little more convincing.
There is no such thing as improper use. There is only real language as spoken by native speakers.

Nope. Language is usable exactly and only because rules make it interpretable.
I absolutely agree that "there is no such thing as improper use" is false, and that there are rules of English. For example, there's the rule of SVO order, which says that the subject goes before the verb and the object goes after the verb in a sentence. So "The cat bites the mouse" would be correct, whereas "Bites the mouse the cat" wouldn't.
Another example is the rule that if you're talking about an action that happened in the past, you have to put the verb in past tense. So for example, "Yesterday I baked a cake" is correct, while "Yesterday I bake a cake" isn't (despite being perfectly understandable). I imagine both of the above "rules" I listed are blindingly obvious though, to the point that you might not even think of them as rules, but they certainly are rules that every proficient speaker of English would follow.

But where do these rules of English come from? As a native English speaker, I certainly didn't learn those rules of English grammar from a textbook or a dictionary, or a kindergarten teacher. And neither did any of my other classmates, but yet we still follow the two rules above all the time. What happened, of course, is that we learnt the rules of English as we learnt the language from our parents, our teachers, and our surroundings. (You could even say that learning the language is the same as learning the rules.) And similarly, our parents, and the people of the previous generation, they learnt English from the generation before as well. And so on, all the way back through the history of English.

Now, if none of us or our ancestors learnt English from textbooks, then how is it that our language lines up so well with the rules of grammar given in textbooks (e.g. ones for second language learners) and with the definitions given in dictionaries? Obviously, that's thinking about it the wrong way round. Rather than native speakers learning from books, it's the books that copy from the native speakers. The authors who wrote rules like "Whom is used to refer to the object of a verb" were observing how the word "whom" was used in native speech and writing.

While having a book as a reference to check the rules of grammar is often helpful, books suffer from a great flaw, which is that they cannot change with time. You see, English changes (and has changed) over time, since the English that children learn is never an exact copy of the English of their parents. This can be down to many factors, such as children wanting to sound different from the older generation to fit in better socially, or by non-native speakers carrying over features from their native language. Language change occurs even for scholarly English - try comparing a paper written now to one written 100 years ago. A book on grammar will be unable to adapt to changes in what is considered correct usage. (As an example, did you know that 300 years ago, "it's" (with an apostrophe) was considered the correct way to write the possessive form of "it"! See https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2022/11/it-is-or-it-has.html . It even lists a few examples of grammar guides that prescribe "it's" over "its".)

Nevertheless, there are many who follow the rules that dictionaries and grammar guides give, even as the rules become older and older. Eventually, some rules find themselves restricted to fewer and fewer contexts, until they are only used by the most formal or pedantic. For example, the usage of "whom" is rapidly dwindling, and nowadays guides and dictionaries such as Merriam-Webster state that "it is perfectly standard to use 'who'" even in cases where "whom may be technically correct", in reflection of how it is actually used now.

The fact is that the process of researching and writing a dictionary or grammar guide is slow, so a book can never hope to be truly up-to-date, even at the moment it is first published. So the only way to truly know whether something is grammatically correct is to ask a number of native English speakers. Of course, most native English speakers are not consciously aware of all the thousands of rules that make up their understanding of the English language, so it becomes a question of whether something "sounds natural" to them.
"The cat bites the mouse" sounds natural. "Yesterday I bake a cake" doesn't sound natural. And to me, and evidently to many others from as far back as the 1800s all the way up to the current thread we're in, "Recommend me a book" sounds natural.

Edit: I've highlighted the changes I made in green. For what the original content was, please see below.
Sorry for the essay, I realise that the point I'm trying to make was also said by @flannan and @Hrien but hopefully this is a little more convincing.

Nope. Language is usable exactly and only because rules make it interpretable.
I absolutely agree that "there is no such thing as improper use" is false, and that there are rules of English. For example, there's the rule of SVO order, which says that the subject goes before the verb and the object goes after the verb in a sentence. So "The cat bites the mouse" would be correct, whereas "Bites the mouse the cat" wouldn't.
Another example is the rule that if you're talking about an action that happened in the past, you have to put the verb in past tense. So for example, "Yesterday I baked a cake" is correct, while "Yesterday I bake a cake" isn't (despite being perfectly understandable). I imagine both of the above "rules" I listed are blindingly obvious though, to the point that you might not even think of them as rules, but they certainly are rules that every proficient speaker of English would follow.

But where do these rules of English come from? As a native English speaker, I certainly didn't learn those rules of English grammar from a textbook or a dictionary, or a kindergarten teacher. And neither did any of my other classmates, but yet we still follow the above rules all the time. What happened, of course, is that we learnt the rules of English as we learnt the language from our parents, our teachers, and our surroundings. (You could even say that learning the language is the same as learning the rules.) And similarly, our parents, and the people of the previous generation, they learnt English from the generation before as well. And so on, all the way back through the history of English.

Now, if none of us or our ancestors learnt English from textbooks, then how is it that our language lines up so well with the rules of grammar given in textbooks (e.g. ones for second language learners) and with the definitions given in dictionaries? Obviously, that's thinking about it the wrong way round. Rather than native speakers learning from books, it's the books that copy from the native speakers. The authors who wrote rules like "Whom is used to refer to the object of a verb" were observing how the word "whom" was used in native speech and writing.

While having a book as a reference to check the rules of grammar is often helpful, books suffer from a great flaw, which is that they cannot change with time. You see, English changes (and has changed) over time, since the English that children learn is never an exact copy of the English of their parents. This can be down to many factors, such as children wanting to sound different from the older generation to fit in better socially, or by non-native speakers carrying over features from their native language. Language change occurs even for scholarly English - try comparing a paper written now to one written 100 years ago. A book on grammar will be unable to adapt to changes in what is considered correct usage. (As an example, did you know that 300 years ago, "it's" (with an apostrophe) was considered the correct way to write the possessive form of "it"! See https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2022/11/it-is-or-it-has.html . It even lists a few examples of grammar guides that prescribe "it's" over "its".)

Nevertheless, there are many who follow the rules that dictionaries and grammar guides give, even as the rules become older and older. Eventually, these rules find themselves restricted to fewer and fewer contexts, until they are only used by the most formal or pedantic. For example, the usage of "whom" is rapidly dwindling, and nowadays guides and dictionaries such as Merriam-Webster state that "it is perfectly standard to use 'who'" even in cases where "whom may be technically correct", in reflection of how it is actually used now.

The fact is that the process of researching and writing a dictionary or grammar guide is slow, so a book can never hope to be truly up-to-date, even at the moment it is first published. So the only way to truly know whether something is grammatically correct is to ask a number of native English speakers. Of course, most native English speakers are not consciously aware of all the thousands of rules that make up their understanding of the English language, so it becomes a question of whether something "sounds natural" to them.
"The cat bites the mouse" sounds natural. "Yesterday I bake a cake" doesn't sound natural. And to me, and evidently to many others from as far back as the 1800s all the way up to the current thread we're in, "Recommend me a book" sounds natural.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Combine that with you calling out non-native speakers, you sound absolutely zenophobic.
Making the point that non-native speakers should not simply trust other non-native speakers isn't in the least xenophobic. I don't simpy trust speakers and writers from my own language to get matters of other languages correct either. You're just grasping for reasons to attack me personally because you dislike clarity in language and thought.
It sounds like you're being pedantic for the sake of being pedantic
No. You simply don't like concern for making language the most effective tool that it can be.
languages are fluid things that evolve as the cultures of those who speak it evolve
And the process of that evolution involves both thoughtless and thoughtful activity. DIsmissing the thoughtful undermines an essential part of the process.

Now, let's watch you bomb uncontested territory as if if proves your point:
This includes those native speakers as well as those who are not native speakers. People invent new uses for words that get added to modern dictionaries all the time. Foreign words get added to a language all the time.
None of those points bears upon the controversy here.
Rather than calling out something for being grammatically incorrect, it's generally more helpful to phrase it in terms of sounding awkward.
Nope. Style is not grammar, and grammar forms the core of effective writing. Further, the issues of style more generally would make the whole task overwhelming to more scanlators.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
we still follow the above rules all the time
No, you don't. I don't know anyone who does; but people who blithely assume that they just picked-up proper use by social osmosis are especially prone to error. In your case, you immunize your belief, insisting that any person or reference that disagrees with you is mistaken.
books suffer from a great flaw, which is that they cannot change with time
That's not a great flaw. Books can have new editions when change is warranted.
You see, English changes (and has changed) over time
A puffed-up pretense that someone didn't see that point is a silly affectation. More importanty, that point never carries the weight that people like you imagine.
there are many who follow the rules that dictionaries and grammar guides give, even as the rules become older and older
You're confusing two concepts here. Rules becoming older is not conterminous with rules becoming outmoded. Very few people, rather than many, follow outmoded rules.
Of course, most native English speakers are not consciously aware of all the thousands of rules that make up their understanding of the English language, so it becomes a question of whether something "sounds natural" to them.
Which doesn't make their use proper. (And I note, for those who keep libelling me as xenophobic, that we find just one person here treating as authoritative the practice of native speakers as such. That person is not I.)
evidently
You appear not to know what “evident” means. What share of the use that you identify was by the native speakers to whom you point for authority?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread