Eiyuu to Kenja no Tensei Kon ~Katsute no Koutekishu to Kon'yakushite Saikyou Fuufu ni Narimashita~ - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - The princess challenges The Hero…

Dex-chan lover
2. The verb “recommend” does not take an inner and outer accusative.
  • “recommend a book to me” ← correct
  • “recommend to me a book” ← correct but unusual
  • “to me recommend a book” ← correct but unusual
  • “recommend me a book” ← incorrect
I'm pretty sure the fourth example is fine?? It certainly sounds more acceptable to me than the third example

Dex-chan lover
gah i dont know how i feel about this, on one hand they are so cute, on the other hand all this dumb shit keeps happening, why do their past lives gotta keep popping up in the worst ways 😭

MDC

Dex-chan lover

Hard disagree on the 4th one. It is just as correct as the 1st and 2nd option, the only incorrect one is the 3rd which sounds like something someone learning english for the first time would say.

Dex-chan lover
Three Points:

1. Always set-off vocatives with punctuation (typically a comma). Not just sometimes; always.

2. The verb “recommend” does not take an inner and outer accusative.
3. Do not trust the English that you find in translations by non-native speakers. Many bad practices are being propagated because of imitation.
That means there're really only two points, there.

Dex-chan lover
That means there're really only two points, there.
No. The first point concerns vocatives. The second point concerns a specific verb. The third point is a general principle.

The second point is not merely an illustration of the third principle with a special case, as some native speakers are bad enough at English to make that mistake.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter!

Typos & edit suggestions:
  • p1 & p4 title: "The princess challenges The Hero waging The Sage" -> ?? (I didn't understand this title.)
  • p5 "since little" -> "since they were little" / "since childhood"
  • p7 "to rival some like Elria" -> "to rival someone like Elria"
  • p8 "You must be able to explain my power." -> ?? (I didn't understand this bubble. Is it meant as "You two should be able to uncover the source of my power." or some such?)
  • p12 "I'm not too young or so foolish to overlook" -> "I'm not so young or foolish to overlook"
  • p13 "Even if no there were no audience" -> "Even if there were no audience"
  • p13 "I'll still test if your love for Elria is true" -> "I'd still test if your love for Elria was true"
  • p14 "who's happily her fiancé." -> "who's happily Elria's fiancé." (the last "her" refers to Christia)
  • p14 "The contest between these two will" -> "The contest between these two on stage will" (the last "two" refers to Reid and Elria, not Reid and Christia)
  • p17 "I know her likes and dislikes even" -> "I know her likes and dislikes, even"
  • p18 "I apologies for inconvenience" -> "I apologize for the inconvenience"
  • p19 "you manners, please" -> "your manners, please"
  • p19 "I'm sorry Selvas but" -> "I'm sorry, Selvas, but"
  • p19 "can you read instead" -> "can you read the questions instead"
  • p21 "even though your her" -> "even though you're her"
  • p22 "That's some high expectations!" -> "Those are some high expectations!"
  • p26 "you ate it with me in our room" -> "you ate them with me in our room"
  • p32 "whenever I came to the royal palace Chris would" -> "whenever I came to the royal palace, Chris would"
  • p32 "Good work both of you." -> "Good work, both of you."
  • p33 "But since I told you I need your help." -> ?? (Maybe this was meant to be something like "But I had to call you since I need your help."?)
  • p39 "I wanted to call you out" -> "I wanted to call out to you"

Dex-chan lover
I'm pretty sure the fourth example is fine??
If your understanding of English were up to par, then you wouldn't end that (mistaken) assertion with question marks.
It certainly sounds more acceptable to me than the third example
A construction may be stylistically odd without being wrong. (And we could find ordinary speakers using that construction when discussing different recommendations to be given to different people.)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
GeIJRlU.png

The bakaple makes for good entertainment after all!
2B6t2rz.png

So cute! :glee:
I'm pretty sure the answer to her last question is you, Reid.

Dex-chan lover
Is this not in line with the following?

a. To mention or present (a thing, course of action) to (also unto) a person, etc., as being desirable or advisable. Also with indirect object. Cf. sense 7a.
1985 Times 8 Apr. 10/1 ‘Can you recommend me a nice hotel?’ I was asked.
The OED (from which you are drawing without citation) didn't and doesn't aim to distinguish proper from improper use.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the new chapter!

Elria is so cute!

Anyway, looks like time-travelling shenanigans are afoot. If Tiana can 'travel' into the future, then there might be someone from the future who can also project themselves back when Reid was still a child in Altein and mess with him (i.e. with his overall magic power). There must also be someone who messed with Elria, killing her somewhere within the timeline.

Dex-chan lover
No. The first point concerns vocatives. The second point concerns a specific verb. The third point is a general principle.

The second point is not merely an illustration of the third principle with a special case, as some native speakers are bad enough at English to make that mistake.
The third point. You are generalizing non-natives as bad speakers, as if natives are all good speakers. Were this a truly formal setting, we should scrutinize every single thing regardless if they're written by native/non-native.

Users who are viewing this thread