Elf Boyfriend & Boyish Girlfriend - Ch. 9 - Playing Games on Our Day off

Aggregator gang
@HighStream It's not "arguably" if Skyward Sword had a better story. BotW was so scattershot in its approach to storytelling. It's like you took Ocarina of Time's plot but relegate the childhood segments to a bunch of flashbacks.

Most of the champions of the past/present are shallow copycats of their OOT counterparts (Daruk is Darunia, Mipha is Ruto, Urbosa is Nabooru), one note (Sidon is optimistic, Revali is a snob, Riju is a leader, Yonobo is cowardly), or barely there (do you even remember the name of the present day counterpart to Revali). These characters would've had an impact if the game either allowed us to experience the past outside of these glorified cliff notes called capture memories or just limit the amount of characters to the four champions and leave their present day counterparts on the cutting room floor.

The lack of context for the narrative and character growth that's implied rather than shown gives me no reason to care for these characters or the fact that Hyrule is in ruins. It also doesn't help that most of the voice acting can only be described as simultaneously half-hearted and melodramatic (especially Zelda's voice actress).

With Skyward Sword, the story is told clearly. None of the main characters are superfluous and each of them make their impact on the story and the player. The player is given the proper context and character growth so that you care about these characters and the world they live in.

I wont go into too much detail on the gameplay side of things, due to the fact that some people prefer BotW's open world approach compared to the action adventure style of gameplay Skyward Sword has. And that's fine. People are entitled to there preference. However I will say two things;

1. Why is it that people bash Skyward Sword for dowsing yet ignore the fact that BotW has the Sheikah Sensor? Dowsing and the Sheikah Sensor are both optional and work the exact same way (the Sheikah Sensor just doesn't have you point your sword in the direction of your target). Also, since BotW is more exploration focused than Skyward Sword, shouldn't the inclusion of the Sheikah Sensor a feature be a more egregious feature compared to dowsing?

2. How is BotW considered to be revolutionary when the game boils down to be a mishmash of concepts from other open-world games (Far Cry's survival mechanics, Dead Rising's combat/weapon degradation system, Elder Scrolls' dungeons/quests, etcetera) only without the depth those other games had? Meanwhile, Skyward Sword showed gamers that motion controls can not only work (They do work. Actually learn how to play the game and don't pull a DarkSydePhil) but also have the player be more involved and in turn more immersed than compared to games with standard controls, but people dismissed Skyward Sword because "motion controls suck."

Sorry if this response is so long. Despite what this comment implies, I like BotW a lot. I just find the overwhelming praise it got on release a little heavy handed, especially when compared to other open world games. I accept that some people prefer BotW to other Zelda games. Some people just prefer open world games. However, BotW is far from the pinnacle of open world game design.

Skyward Sword did it's own thing with motion controls, BotW followed the trends with open world sandbox game design. That's the main reason why I prefer Skyward Sword to BotW.

Aggregator gang
@HighStream You replied to a two week old comment in order to say, in a roundabout way, that you prefer Breath of the Wild. I just responded with why I find the game somewhat overrated and I felt that a simple "I disagree" wouldn't be good enough. Especially since most people who would read this comment section in the future would just agree with you without thinking much about it.

I wasn't trying to provoke you or anything of the sort. I just wanted to explain my position.

I agree preferences are subjective. I said so in my previous comment. If you prefer Breath of the Wild over Skyward Sword that's fine. However, objectively, Breath of the Wild is just a good (not perfect or revolutionary) open world game that played it safe and got overblown due to it being a Zelda game that's open world.

Aggregator gang
@DIOxide

See I can use memes too, you're not special here. Do you actually have a counter argument with what I'm saying about Breath of the Wild, or do you only have 4chan's hand-me-down insults?

Aggregator gang
@DIOxide
Before I start, let me say that the next time you do something like this, at least actually @ the person you're talking to.
You're not making me mad with these emojis. Honestly, I find when people can only respond to a dissenting opinion with memes instead of counterarguments to be more humorous than anything else.
If you disagree with me on BotW and Skyward Sword, which I assume is why you're doing this, that's fine. But don't just type some memes into the comment section and think you're somehow "owning me". Give me actual reasons why your opinion differs from mine. We could possibly come to a mutual understanding if you're open to an actual discussion.
If you're going to keep using images of clowns, do that, if that's what you want. You're free to do so. Just don't expect that you're getting under people's skin or proving them wrong.

Double-page supporter
This chapter totally feels sponsored because of that one page.

That was a good introduction but I’m going to need a full length essay.
🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Pretty lame about how some people will put so much effort into a "debate" that will change nobody's mind at all. Like really, you think we care to read about why you think a game is better than another game? Get over yourself. This comment section should be more about the manga than whatever you're about.

Users who are viewing this thread