Empress Mother - Ch. 24

It feels like putting together a puzzle. At the beginning we only saw the emperor's perspective and I deduced that they both loved each other. Now that the Empress' perspective is shown I now know she didn't exactly love him but he loves her. He doesn't exactly love her either, he loves her image that she cultivated. He loved the obedient and innocent her, but he is now seeing a new side of her. How will this play out? This is quite intriguing.

@evoliios It appears that she doesn't know her husband has been reincarnated but because this new guy has such a similar face, she projects all the feelings she had towards the late emperor unto him. She's aware of it and told him he had to opportunity to leave because she didn't want to treat him as a substitute for her late husband, but this guy seemed willing so they both rolled with it.

What I can't get is what the emperor is doing. He's in this new guy's body and his wife seems to be attracted to him based on his similarities to the emperor. Just how does he feel? Is he happy, is he sad? Hearing her say that she was somewhat afraid of the old emperor, I thought he'd be sad or something but I don't know. I just want to see where this story goes.

For a while now I have been wondering why she didn't just have him killed, or send him away or really anything other than keep him close enough that he might be able to harm him if she suspected he was the emperor reincarnated. But I guess this chapter explained why. She now has an outlet for all the suffering and oppression she endured as his wife and I suppose that is worth the risk.

I definitely have empathy for her and none for him. Maybe he thought he loved her but he certainly never knew her or ever treated her with the respect she deserved. She was a great wife to him while he was alive and he should be grateful for that rather than expecting her to turn into a recluse after her death. The comic does a good job of establishing her character so his reaction doesn't surprise me but still he's an a-hole. I like the the FL is also flawed, it will be interesting to see where this story goes.

Users who are viewing this thread