Erotic x Anabolic - Vol. 4 Ch. 31

Dex-chan lover
Can anybody less stupid than me translate what went on in this chapter? I feel like a pet dog watching a married couple on the brink of divorce, not quite getting what they're saying, but knowing the atmosphere is wrong.

Aggregator gang
Can anybody less stupid than me translate what went on in this chapter? I feel like a pet dog watching a married couple on the brink of divorce, not quite getting what they're saying, but knowing the atmosphere is wrong.
it was just about him reminiscing about his childhood with his sister

Supporter
I only keep reading because I wonder wth is going on with this manga.... for some time now the story makes no sense and the chapters less so. It is feeling like an odd slice of life

i love being talked to death with zero plot progression or character development.

Group Leader
The most spoiler friendly way I can phrase this is that you're closer to the mark here than you think you are, and coming up sometime in the next several chapters you're going to find out why

Dex-chan lover
There's quite a bit of double speak in this chapter.

Author's trying to be "artsy"
Yeah this was hard to follow and not really fun to read, kudos to the translator, don't think this was fun to translate :cautious:
I only keep reading because I wonder wth is going on with this manga.... for some time now the story makes no sense and the chapters less so. It is feeling like an odd slice of life
i love being talked to death with zero plot progression or character development.
ngl, i'm glad i'm not alone in this lmao.

i started thinking it'd be something interesting, with the contrast of the fat dude and the model obsessed with her body.

but now it's turned into one of those philosophical mangas, and not one of the good ones.
imo trying to convey philosophical ideas through dialogue and thought alone is possible, but it's very difficult to do well.

respect to the translation team, since i imagine it's really difficult. i wonder if the core text itself is hard to digest or there's something lost in translation. i prefer to think it's the former, since the quality of the translation is quite high.

considering even Dune had to grab you by the eyeballs and explain what was happening in excruciating detail, i wish more authors would try to be realistic about whether their writing is digestible by the readers.

though i suppose an argument could be made about writing being for yourself and not for others. in which case we ought to blame the editor for not locking the author up until they wrote plain Japanese.

Dex-chan lover
while i'm probably stupider, i think it helps to split the thoughts and the dialogue into two different streams. personally i had to read the chapter twice.

the thoughts are mostly him thinking about how the photographs of his sisters show them through various stages of their growth, and how he has difficulty thinking of the person in the photograph as the physical person in front of him.

it relates it to his artwork, using metaphors for birth and the growth of humans themselves. just like how a person grows from an embryo, into a fully realised human being, the same way his art grew and became more detailed and defined.

this happens rapidly (probably commenting on the nature of time) and in a way it represents how fast time itself is.

in the dialogue itself, they're talking about how things which may seem new to someone, may seem to old to someone else. it's a bit about duality. the same way his sister(?) may 'discover' a restaurant which he has known about for a long time, his sister(?) used to have no money but had free time, and now has money but no free time.

this is mixed with dialogue about how it's good that he's fat since she can use him to sample dishes (with the idea that if she doesn't like something, he'll finish it) since she's picky about what she likes. also talks about how you need to try various things to expand your palette.

that last point i'm guessing is being linked to his association with the FMC, with doing artwork of her being a way for him to expand his palette in terms of art experiences.

in general it's got main themes of time, improving one's skills through experiences, growth and duality of life itself.

of course, this may all be a giant pile of shit which i hallucinated.

big credit to the translators if i'm accurate.

Dex-chan lover
fuck, i ended up writing essays today, didn't i?

i hope MC realises that being proud of being a human garbage collector for food is a very damaging one. i used to think the same, but i now realise it was just a defense mechanism against my own recognition of obesity.

that's not to speak of body shapes and sizes, rather it's the attitude towards food and health which is concerning.

Well, I'm glad it wasn't MY sense of comprehension that went AWOL.
@quagzlor - thanks for your insights!
I was half expecting him to give his sister a bear hug from behind.

Users who are viewing this thread