Status
Not open for further replies.

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
What this forum is about:

Our future rewrite of the MangaDex site code is called v5

I will make threads here for ideas I have that I need pushback on.
I also found that even if I don't like a suggestion, there sometimes are bits of it that I like or that want to read up on. Or that make me change my mind.
If you are a dev, consider this a chit-chat with focus on the new Mangadex version.

Can I make threads?

Yes please! If you have something to ask or put up for discussion, as long it is related to the future site remake and not the current one, make a thread.

What this forum is not about:

Bugreports or support queries with the current site are better placed in the Support forum or Bug report forum

Q. Will all old threads be Sent to Hell (Deleted), Purgatory (All transferred to the new version), or Heaven (Only the best saved, like Staff Observation)

Group Leader
Nice @rdn. I do have a question though, is there a concise roadmap for V5 available?
We have the Planned and Rejected Features thread in the Suggestions forum, this is (at least what I would assume) essentially the V5 roadmap?

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
@blackyawgdom the current plan for v5 is to migrate the self-coded forum to Xenforo. Manga, Chapter and Group comment pages will be fully migrated.

I like the current way to have a "thread" for each of those pages, dont see a reason to change that. With some API magic they should be easy to show in-place as it works now

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
@Altaki Unfortunately not. There is an internal overview of the individual components but I dont think its anywhere near a roadmap. Development pace has picked up a lot in the past 2-3 months so I hope i can start sharing more information. This is the first step

Group Leader
That would be great to see, but awesome work anyway. I'll keep looking out for more to come.

Dex-chan lover
The search function wish list thread for the main site search function, or the proposed forum based search function?
Doesn't the Xenforo software have standard, and advanced forum search functions built in? 😕

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
@Ivegotnolife for the main site. Anything related to forums or comments is another topic, XF will hopefully handle that.
For the entities that i listed (manga, chapter, artist/author, group, user) we will have to craft our own solution.

Dex-chan lover
On a scale of 1-10, how much are the Mangadex coders slowly going insane?

Just curious as someone majoring in Media Arts and Science.

Power Uploader
So besides being able to check DMs / Notifications via API(because everything is better via API)

Being able to send comments on the users behalf would be nice. So some authflow app bullshit.

Use would be I wrote a bot for discord server that reads new comments from chapters and allows you to comment/reply to. Currently I have to have the user's token(s). Which is no good. I don't want them. So currently only I can do it :p

bJ04uGA.png

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
@Tamerlane zero (that i know of)
the good thing is that its voluntarily and enough variety in tasks you can pick up if you want to. (thats also why it takes so long to make new stuff sometimes)

@waterflame
we will probably have to implement something similar to this, as thats how 3rd party apps will handle user logins. not sure if that would extent to the forum scope. If so its very far down the line

Would love to see frequently updated database dumps of manga related data.
Something like this:
piWP6w1.png

This would allow developers to give their users an estimate without needing to spam the api.
R4l2Kek.png

Instead of fetching the data of 40 mangas via your api every time the user makes a new search, i can just fetch it from a local database.

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
@MiBi250
keeping track of total chapter counts is difficult with the current database. Things like total chapter counts will be much easier to calculate and make available through the api in the future.

Dex-chan lover
Is it ok to post a suggestion that may not be guest viewer appropriate on this board? 🤔

Dex-chan lover
I know. I noticed when I was in the forum as a guest after the auto logout glitch kicked me out one time.
That's why I asked about using it to post a suggestion thread for topics that may not be appropriate for casual browsers in the much more visible standard suggestion thread board. 🙂

Dex-chan lover
@Ivegotnolife
Guest = someone not logged in. I don't understand why you'd need a go-ahead concerning guests' impressions before posting something they can't see anyways.

Can I make threads?
Yes please! If you have something to ask or put up for discussion, as long it is related to the future site remake and not the current one, make a thread.
If you're (making a thread and) still on the fence, just put [NSFW] in the title or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread