Favela no Mangaka - Ch. 1 - A diamond in the rough in São Paulo

Dex-chan lover
It's nice that he did his "research", talked with a lot of brazillians but... "we" are a bit concerned with type of person who is advising him. The end of the chapter with the criminals talking about the kid being at the age of becoming one of them is a bit ridiculous.
As a Brazilian... Sorry, is not that far away. Its not that hard if you go to some favelas seeing kids with less than 10 years old holding firearms. Factions recruiting youngs in poverty is the most horrifing social problem we face in brazil.
Hmm... unfortunately, that was one of the most realistic parts, as Josezinho said...
Kids join in criminal groups very young and quite oftenly they are coerced to join like that.
Watch "City of God"(Cidade de Deus) and you'll get an idea.
That... was indeed accurate...

Hmm... unfortunately, that was one of the most realistic parts, as Josezinho said...
Kids join in criminal groups very young and quite oftenly they are coerced to join like that.
Watch "City of God"(Cidade de Deus) and you'll get an idea.
That... was indeed accurate...
To be fair, i can concede and say the dialogue was kinda "cringe". The social problem is on point, but the dialogue could be better.

Dex-chan lover
To be fair, i can concede and say the dialogue was kinda "cringe". The social problem is on point, but the dialogue could be better.
True. I can atribute that to difference in culture from the author or issue in translation, maybe, but I wouldn't say it is too far off, though, right?
I mean, so far, I haven't seen any swearing, I guess, in a mangá that happens in a Favela.
THAT is a lot more unbelievable, in my opinion XD

True. I can atribute that to difference in culture from the author or issue in translation, maybe, but I wouldn't say it is too far off, though, right?
I mean, so far, I haven't seen any swearing, I guess, in a mangá that happens in a Favela.
THAT is a lot more unbelievable, in my opinion XD
Yeah. Is a clean version haha. I think the Brazilian translators can add some "porr@,"crlh", "fdp" in the portuguese version.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah. Is a clean version haha. I think the Brazilian translators can add some "porr@,"crlh", "fdp" in the portuguese version.
Can't blame the author too much since he is Japanese and they barely swear, but it feels very weird to see a story happening in a favela with barely any swearing at all.

Dex-chan lover
Was gonna say -which someone mentioned above- that the author must’ve watched City of God, recently. Despite potential regional differences/inaccuracies in how gangs are depicted, it seems to be inspired by depictions that film, more than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread