Favorite comic book?

Fed-Kun's army
Some of us have read so much manga that at this point it's really an unhealthy obsession that's taken over our entire lives, but what about American comic books? Which one is your favorite?

Dex-chan lover
Die-hard X-Men fan here who's glad Hickman has done something to right the X-franchise after the quagmire of suck that had been everything post-AvX. Huge Supes fan too, but the less said about Bnedis, the better.

Contributor
Batman fan here. I'm not one of the die-hards who (unironically or ironically) think "Batman with Prep Time" is unbeatable, though.
However, the constant rebooting of the DC Universe (comic books, not Cartoons/TV/Movies Universes) has made me stop following storylines for a while now.

deadmanpoolbat.jpg

A title by Skottie Young. Fuck Fairyland! (Or the non explicit cover, I Hate Fairyland) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27207279-i-hate-fairyland-1 (First issue seems to be free on kindle)

@pandascepter Cumcumber quest is awesome. Shame that the creator had to stop :(

My local library had a whole bunch of archie sonic comics, so I pretty much read all of it. Some of the arcs were awesome, but due to different writers, the quality were all over thr place

Bone, by Jeff Smith, will always hold a special place in my heart. The right way to turn a children comic into a more mature story.
@pandascepter I just browsed a bit of it. The story seems simple, but what a beautiful drawing style. Thanks for the reccomendation.

Dex-chan lover
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Absolutely love them. And, I've also wanted to try reading Scooby Apocalypse for years now, but never got around to it.

I've always loved and will love Calvin and Hobbes. I actually keep little comic strips on my walls or inside my cupboard.
Whenever I look at them, they make me laugh. It reminds me that sometimes the bad things are all just in your head, and in many ways even adults can act like kids.

Dex-chan lover
Conan the Barbarian! An axe to the head six times a year. Although that was a lifetime ago. But then again, they stopped publishing the comics ages ago in any case.

Dex-chan lover
For newspaper comics, while I was a big Calvin and Hobbes fan, Far Side was always my favorite.

For actual comics, I really like Beautiful Darkness, Judge Dredd and adventure comics like Tintin and Corto Maltese.

I really liked Mortadelo y Filemon, when I was young.
Its a comic book series of Spain (My country). Its a comedy, and their jokes are pretty absurd but they make fun of everyone and everything.

Dex-chan lover
Probably either Deadpool's "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" arc (the arc where he finds out he has a daughter) or Watchmen for its philosophical prospective

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
Oh man, i absolutely love Memín Pinguín, it's a mexican comic, although it is quite controversial due to the racial stereotypes, but i don't really mind that.

The main protagonist is a black kid who lives in 1930s Mexico City and has a shit ton of adventures with his gang, like, this kid does some interesting stuff, he once went to Africa in an expedition and almost got sacrificed by the natives.

The comic also deals with a ton of problems of the real life, like racism, differences in class (one of the kids is super rich while the rest are poor), alcoholism, prostitution, discrimination, crime (a lot of crime, suprisingly, like this kids found dead people and gangs all the time). It's fun but also quite sad at times. I have like a 100 issues of the comics, they are my treasure because i can't find any more in this day and age.

I don't really read western comics aside from webcomics...
But the printed comic that made the biggest impression on me (maybe because I was like 13 at the time) was The Crow.
Before that I saw mostly "funny" or kid comics with their simplistic art style... and then a friend forced me to read Crow

It's like showing GitS or FMA to people who originally thought that anime is for children...

Contributor
@Richman
I know you said it takes place in Mexico City, but is there at least one Penguin in the entire comic, to the best of your knowledge and recollection?

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@justforthelulz
I don't know, but probably? I think in the plotline where they go to Africa, the manor of the old man that takes them there has one taxidermized, but i'm most likely wrong, i don't think the comic was that crazy lol.

Users who are viewing this thread