Favorite comic book?

Dex-chan lover
I'd imagine considering the history of racial castes that was implemented by the Spaniards in Mexico that race relations there aren't the best... @Richman

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@Tamerlane
At that point in time, definitely, like in the comics, you have super rich people that were living in the same city as super poor people, the parents of the rich kid were very against their son going to a public school instead of a private, better one. Even if we are all mexicans, people who are of african or native descent were, and still are, discriminated against for their origin, wealth or both. Both of my grandfathers have brown skin and faced discrimination, for example. Nowadays, i don't see it as much, especially in Mexico City, there is a lot of diversity there, but there is also a lot of crime because not everyone has the same living conditons, you can compare 2 different regions and see the difference in wealth. Truth be told, i haven't visited many cities in my country, so i can't say how things are in most other states, especially the northern ones that are close to the US; where i live the population is reversed, most are from native origin so i have more friends that have dark skin than ones that have light skin, i'm a popsicle because i got burned by the sun so i have clear sections in my body DX.

Comics like these are an interesting window to the past where you can analize how people thought of each other back then, even if there is a clear bias against or in favor of certain groups (like how the main protagonist's mom is a fat black woman who can't read or write and only works simple jobs), i personally find it fun to read the adventures these kids lived, like i said, some stories dealt with tough topics and there is some history represented in them (like how the gang found a dead body while exploring the tunnels the metro was going to run through :D). You could buy this comics for like 10$ pesos back in the 2000's, which wasn't really that much money for a kid to ask for.

Dex-chan lover
@Richman

Interesting. Honestly, I've always wanted to visit the Mesoamerican ruins such as the Pyramids and remains of Tenochtitlan in Mexico City, but between the crime rate and other factors, I've always been a bit afraid to, especially because I don't know anyone in the local area which could give me some protection as I'm sure tourists get eaten up there by scammers and the like.

It's the same issue as to why I can't visit Egypt despite being an Egyptophile, or how I can't visit China because of the CCP.

Staff
Super Moderator
@Tamerlane
With some tour guide with an excellent reputation, i wouldn't worry as much, crime is everywhere in the world. You can always join a group tour so you have the power of herds lol. I remeber when i went to some archeological sites at school trips and every souveneir was always sold "at student's price", we always made fun of that.

Contributor
@Tamerlane
I dunno, man. I've heard horror stories about wackos in Egypt straight up stealing your souls.

Egypt-9-Glory-Gods.png

Supporter
@Tamerlane
As long as you stick with the group and have good situational awareness you probably won't get assaulted but you know shit happens.

Staff
Super Moderator
Guys, let's return to comic books, we're starting to derail another thread.

Other comic books i read as a kid were the Richie Rich ones, they were always quite fun, i also have like 50 issues of them. I remember i used to imagine what would i do with that amount of money... good times.

Earlier when I was 10 years old I've read Calvin & Hobbes and it became my most favourite comic even I don't understand most of the part what they mean. The spaceman spiff comic strips are my favorite ones.

Supporter
Shit, is there any conspiracy related to Mangadex users and Calvin and Hobbes going on here? Something like MK Ultra tier shit, where Calvin and Hobbes works as the mind button, and Mangadex the trigger?
Anyway, I was always a rather Garfield dude. There is a more recent Argentinian comic strip called "Macanudo" by Liniers, which I wholeheartedly recommend. Beautifully creative, like life through the looking grass.
Here you are.
tumblr_poqm12SuQh1qb1wre_1280.jpg

Macu20181230.jpg

Staff
Super Moderator
How adorable, the top comic looks a lot like those meme edits where the characteres say "Did you know 1 in 3 people are gay?"

Newspaper comics are something i always look forward to when my parents bought newspapers

Staff
Super Moderator
@Rino
Bro i want to read those comics as well, btw can we get an F for the Scott Pilgrim vs the world videogame? It's no longer available to play because XBLA has shut down iirc.

@Richman I found the comics pretty easily online you should check it out. That sucks about the games I didnt know about that ://.

If newspaper comics are allowed, my favorite was Pickles. Old couples are so cute.
Hatter M was the name of a comic series that was a spin-off from a book series called The Looking Glass Wars. It was because of that comic that i started reading the series. I can't remember if i finished it tho. I liked it cuz it was one of the few "twists on Alice in Wonderland" trope done well imo from what i remember.

Users who are viewing this thread