Favorite game lore?

Dex-chan lover
Stories captiviate,
a whole new world to explore;
what's your favorite?

https://youtu.be/5qmWvsxHuEk

Dex-chan lover
Dank Souls. The manner in which the lore is scattered about the games in numerous item descriptions and environmental clues results in very unique worldbuilding. The series has some of the best memes, but I've found the games to be rather somber once the player's perspective is grounded in the context of the world and characters around them.

VaatiVidya is pretty much the de facto lorebro for all FromSoft games.

Another one is Skyrim, because it belongs to the Nords.

Dex-chan lover
2hu has quite a bit to unpack, between the hard-to-follow plots and the information scattered between artbook, character/spellcard name readings, mythological references and canon-fanon dissonances (like Patche's stripes). It's in my ballpark, and a lot of fun to dig through.

Oh, man, I'm having trouble choosing, so I'll list the ones I liked the most. That said, I'm not really one who plays for the plot since I like pickup-and-play games. I prefer mindlessly doing things, you see, so I can't say I've got good tastes on story. If you think about it, however, if a game's story can charm someone who doesn't care for plot, then that's also saying something, doesn't it? Anyway,:

StarCraft - I especially like the premise of the main antagonist of the series, not so much about his moral compass but more of the idea that there's this thing who'll destroy everything without exception. Kinda edgy, but also badass. I like how it throws that subtle shade on creation myths, and the characters are so lovable (especially abathur, that adorable slug).

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream - based on the short story of the same title. AI goes rogue and plays god with 5 of the remaining humans.

Rune Factory Oceans - admittedly, it's not really one that stands out, and I think I like it simply cause I'm comparing it with the rest of the series. Although they don't really expound too much on the lore, I found it better because it somewhat suits the semi-open-world environment of the game, allowing for more freedom for my head-canon, especially with the awkward romance with the characters.

Dragonball Z: Supersonic Warriors - it lets you see what-ifs to the story, about what would've happened if the MC was not goku and that alone was enough to have me play through all the characters in the roster. Although not really all that captivating, there's charm in rooting for your favorite underdog and coming out on top.

Hide - the indie horror(?) game. It's a short play and I think I might be cheating with this one since it doesn't really have an official lore per se. But the atmosphere, the setting and the sounds used are, in my opinion, more than enough to give you a gist of what the whole thing is about and I think that's really what's so alluring to it. Being able to tell a story with just that is an amazing feat, and I dare say, poetic.

Exmortis - although I haven't finished the 3rd game, I was hooked to the story and played through I and II. It's the standard horror point-and-click, but the cult thingamajig it got going was no slouch on the story.

AdventureQuest and AdventureQuest Worlds - their stories, admittedly, are hit-and-miss, but I feel like that's a given for MMORPGs. The humor and the lore they built up over the years, however, makes it feel like I've been playing through a long game of a very lax and memey DnD which is, in my opinion, very endearing. In fact, it's the sole reason I check up on it every now and then, even with how...droll the gameplay is.

Call of Duty: World at War - I mean, it's world war 2 hero stories.

Darkstalkers - honestly, I can't tell if it's cause of my raging hormones that's telling me it's good or the plot. I have to say though, I was enthralled with Lord Raptor and his story.

Rival Schools - I've got a soft spot for feel good stories and although there's a lot of edge in the game, there's a lot of situations there that just makes me swoon over them. For example,
Akira's ending where she visually showed dismay over Edge telling her she's one of them now. Or Shoma's embarassment as Roberto calls Natsu his girlfriend.
Character relationships aside, there's also hint that it ties in with the Street Fighter universe and I'm all for it.

GTA 2 - it's rife with corruption and in-jokes, but even so, they still build up a good amount of story and connect-the-dots here and there. It's no masterpiece, but the humor and the dynamics of each faction you join makes their dialogues worth reading through. I'm not fond of the overly serious tones the series took after this, but hey, to each their own.

Thrill Kill - well, I just said I don't like serious, edgy stories and yet here I am giving one, but here me out. I've got a soft spot for stories of people and their descent to madness, you see. I suppose you could chalk it up to some morbid fascination of mine. There's quite a bit to this game and because it was cancelled by EA who deemed it a "sadistic killing game" and is not "appropriate regardless of who purchases it", we never really get to explore them. Even still, the lore is substantial enough to make a head-canon out of (something I'm sure you're now well aware that I'm rather fond of doing).

Pokemon Gold/Crystal - alright, now I know I'm really cheating here, but there's a reason why I chose this particular version over the others and if you're thinking, "it's the legendary dogs, isn't it?", you're not wrong. There's more to that though. Not only did it start the trend of incorporating the legendaries into the plot, it also introduced 2 new types, Dark and Steel. If you've read the Festival of Champions, makes a huge impact on the story and the lore around pokemon. This is quite unlike the Fairy type which didn't really change how things go other than in gameplay. Pioneering additions aside, I think the best point in the lore of Gen 2 is that it's the least extravagant among the other sequels in the franchise plot-wise. Although you could argue the same with Gen I and use FireRed/LeafGreen to account for the type inclusions, the thing about Gen 2 is that it expounded on where Gen I left off and added more to that which to me, is a rather effective bait to get me into Gen I as well. So story-wise, I feel like Gen 2 is superior to Gen I.

Half-Life series - I'm not sure if I really need to explain this one. I suppose I could say something about what I felt playing through it. Remember how I said I liked watching characters as they descend to the mouth of madness? Well, in essence, the same happened here.
When Gordon was teleported off-world after an anomalous material of classified origin was handed to him, I started suspecting something was up with Black Mesa. After all, there's no reason to keep the origin of an anomalous material classified to researchers, especially those who will be personally handling them.
Although I'm in the opinion that this is a fairly obvious choice, the thing about it is that despite it's linear progression, there's the sense of wanting to come back to it for no good reason that I never quite had with other games of the same nature.

Portal series - an intelligent villain is definitely charming in my books, but an intelligent, cute but sarcastic, and musically talented villain? If that doesn't sound like a winner, I don't know what is. Best of all, although they leave a lot to your imagination, a lot of crumbs are left here and there. Ratman definitely had me looking all over the lab for him.

Trauma Center - I've got a thing for medical dramas, and while not overly spectacular, it does get you intrigued and is quite appealing.

Nanashi No Game - I've also got a thing for horror. This one's The Ring, but games.

Dementium - horror, remember? But this one gave me Silent Hill vibes and that's always a plus. The whodunit plot kept me playing through despite the agonizing control of playing it on a phone.

Afraid of Monsters - oh this is less of a descent to madness than going through madness. Personally, I call this the Pac-Man what-if.

Cry of Fear - ehehe...horror. There is some aspect of it that makes you wonder just how much hold does the alter-ego have on the real world.

Dishonored series - I'm cheating again cause I didn't play it myself because of money and time, and if you consider time as gold, then really, it's just money problems. Still, I watched the playthrough and I am enamored by its world. The Outsider in particular makes me want to hunt it down and find out more about it, and how it relates to the Empire and its establishment before and during the war as well as the continent that the empire had been trying to colonize, especially considering that there's this supposed ancient civilization somewhere there.

Ah, there's actually a fair bit more, like Morrowind, Warhammer and the like but I think they're fairly common if we're talking about lore (even though I included half-life) so I'll leave them out for now.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
Kirby, Pokemon and Halo

Dex-chan lover
Ah yes, Warhammer,
the lore alone is bad-ass
and a rabbit hole.

Warhammer lore is good both fantasy and 40k.
Warcraft lore used to be good to, then they destroyed everything with WOW. What a piece of shit of a game.
The old Fire Emblem games were good, the new ones suck.
The old Pokemon games had pretty good lore , Kanto lore was great and so was Johto. The new generations are pure trash.
Oh god, I hate all the new things.
This phrase is a perfect description of my feelings.
94F.jpg

Apart from the Touhou franchise, which is, at this point, a breathing, self-sustaining universe, I'd stay it's the Ace Combat series.

Aggregator gang
[ul]
[*]Gravity Rush/Gravity Daze had a pretty novel world. It definitely could've been expanded on, but as a whole it was captivating. Third game when?

[*]The Drakenier/Yoko Taroverse. In no other franchise can you play a fantasy game that's fairly standard except for your morally reprehensible party members,
to end up banishing some weird cosmic horror that looks like a pregnant lady into modern day Japan, battling said pregnant lady in a rhythm game, only for you and the dragon you're riding on to be shot down by the JAF, and the magic radiation from that whole event wiping out almost all of humanity, which then leads to the events of the original Nier.
People praise Automata a lot because android ass lol, but Yoko Taro holds a unique space in the industry for bringing such raving drunk madness into videogames even before Automata.

[*]Girls' Frontline, despite being a mobile game, has lore that's surprisingly deep. I can't wait for Project Neural Cloud and Exilium to expand on it further.

[*]The background lore for The Elder Scrolls is insane in the best way possible. All the crazy interesting stuff doesn't even happen in the games most of the time.
[/ul]

"Trail of " series, the setting is interesting like how technology kind of cause the down fall nobility this mainly seem in Trail of cold steel.

utawarerumono series
the twist is the setting actual is earth but in future and utawarerumono the title of the game is name of a god which humanity have create because in humanity scientifical and technological advanced so far that they are able life or slave which are these animal ear people ( ironically took over earth ) . However this also cause destruction of earth and wipeout humanity. which ironically cause scientific and technological advances to digress down toward middle ages level.
Etrian odyssey
I just remember the setting is actual earth but in the future and thinking cool

pathologic 1 and 2 - I just remember it being full meta storytelling element with it leading to a interesting theme if any one interested in the story I highly recommend watching this video Pathologic is Genius, And Here's Why

Pokémon mystery dungeon series is literal isekai story every game with you the player character waking in the Pokémon world and have turn into a Pokémon.

Users who are viewing this thread