Fight Class 3 - Ch. 81 - Round 81: Mad Man

Dex-chan lover
Look how they massacre my boy. Feels like he won't ever get back to normal.

@WillLi Not sure how can you say we don't know what's going on with Jitae when the series has even relied on narration to explain that Jitae's is "acting tough" in order to avoid being perceived as weak, which is how he actually views himself.

IMG_20200826_055106.png
24-c4227cfa81e5bfd16d375b42e3e2a682c7ef9a327fe0b5723d3a4f41194ed201.png

Jitae isn't a normal kid, he's dealing with some serious trauma when it comes to his father. Not only because he assaulted him and left him with a physical scar, but because he was powerless to do anything about it, and his sister was taken away from him as a result.

x10.png

x12.png

All the issues he's been avoiding in regards to that situation have been brought back to his life since joining the Fight Classes and teaming up with Maria. And to make matters worse, each of his shortcomings are a big blow to his already shattered ego. The more he loses, the more he believes he's "useless". The more he fails, the more he hates himself for being weak.

x21.png

x15.png

x13_1.png

x14.png

This "personality change" we're witnessing is more of a coping/defense mechanism than anything else. He's realized that the way he is, and the world he's stepped foot into are incompatible. So he projects a fake persona more fitting of the cruel reality he's decided to embrace in order to get back his sister. And to do so, he fuels on his rage against himself.

69-85e94f6121e530e3bdc1b48a9bf6ffc0d184b51a66c8111187fff59aa3c68db7.png

73-3459960a8b29b4f32d493d77fed49adfe106f77ddc0c5fe1f660d2a03cb86cfb.png

74-a2f6be55d7c039ef51b2a91fd95e8d462fbed5684cffcd666e24eafd6d646f69.png

It is jarring? Damn right it is! I think Jitae's current behavior is supposed to make us feel uncomfortable. I don't think we're supposed to feel good about how he's acting or enjoy how "extra" he's being right now. But as a character progression, is really interesting to witness, and I can't wait to see how the author is gonna resolve it before the beginning of the 2nd semester.

@ReyKaNeel It seems the people living in The Tunnel view themselves as social rejects or pariah. That's why Bob Sopp said: "I don't belong here".

Group Leader
You're welcome! @wbrown

Given the biweekly nature of the release schedule, there are always details that go unnoticed or are forgotten by some the more the story advances. I'm able to remember a lot of this stuff because I'm always re-reading the chapters to check for consistency details and such.

Thanks for the kind words. @illusia27 Awesome avi btw.

Dex-chan lover
@gptemp8916 you took one phrase from my post, and blew that up, and ignored the rest of my post dude. Like your response is wrong just based on the principle that you're not even talking about what I said. However your post highlights exactly what the problem is. You responded to me saying that we don't know what's going on in his head with -1- page that posted 'what was going on in his head'. The best example you had was describing his decision in a fight. However can you find anything that actually explains his mental state any other time?

The other way you highlighted the problem is you talk about that what he's doing is a coping method, and while I don't totally disagree with that, we don't -know- that. We're just assuming that. We don't even know 'when' he actually broke. He was just shouting in one chapter, and the next time we saw him it was after a time skip and he was already full crazy. We don't even know what the final straw was, not with certainty at least. We can assume to know, but that's where problems start coming up.

Things like emotional damage to characters lose impact when you have to assume the source or the damage. Because then you're shaping it to how you want. His condition would be much more impactful if we had more information. All we have is a list of things that he messed up, or that went bad for him, and some understanding of his personality before he broke. We don't actually know what things effected him the most, when he started to break, if he's actually -broken- or just putting on an act, or what. I mean there's even the possibility that none of this is actually effecting him that much and really what it is is brain damage from getting hit in the head. I mean I know that's a stretch, but we literally don't have enough information to say for sure that it's -not- that. That's why this annoys me.

Dang I’m worried for the MC he’s not doing well and he’s probably gonna run into his sister with this state of mind. That will probably wake him up.

Hahaha it feels like such a long time ago that I thought this would just be some high school slice of life with a cool fight class and tournament arcs lol

@WillLi Remember his fight with the "bad boy" from the parallel fight class? That was the point when he broke. That's when Maria showed him that she didn't care about him at all and just expected results and if he wasn't going to give her them she would discard him. Since she is the only hope he has for returning his little sister, he reflected on what happened while his nose was healing up and became extra edgy so that she could see that he is "tough" and "cool" and she should keep training him.

Dex-chan lover
@InedibleSpook that's an assumption. Because as I mentioned we do not actually -see- him broken until immediately after a time skip. We do not actually visibly see the indication that he 'broke' we see that stuff hurt him, but we never actually see him truly break. He just shows up broken suddenly. There could've been other fights in the time that was skipped, it could be an injury like I said, or many other things.

I'm not saying your idea is 'wrong' or 'impossible. However it is not confirmed, just like the guy above, who says he's coping and not actually 'broken' but projecting a mask. It could be one of you is right, or the answer is a little of both, or none of either. WE just don't know, and because we don't know, it loses impact, because you have to come up with your own conclusion. Which at first seems fine, but the moment you realize that the conclusion you have is not actually affirmed by the story, and that the facts you saw can be interpreted different ways, suddenly the 'meaning' and 'significance' of the MC's state loses weight because it's constantly changing with each interpretation.

This ongoing story is showing too much and not telling. Please draw my conclusions for me.

@ReyKaNeel My bad haha. Yeah, they could have used that time to enjoy the city for a bit. But they chose to go back and a beating was waiting for them.

I pray for faster releases,But either way thanks for the chapter and amazing translations👍🏾

Users who are viewing this thread