Fight Class 3 - Ch. 82 - Round 82: Sequela

I couldn’t wait and spoiled myself on the next chapter and all I can say is that *hit goes down.

@zZONED The stressors he's been exposed to coupled with his past trauma makes his mental break believable.

My, and probably everyone else's problem with his personality change is that we didn't see the change. It's like if Goku got beat up one day and promptly decided to destroy the entire universe. Like, when and how would Goku come to that conclusion just from getting his ass beat one time?

@cadaver_maneuver In my opinion I have seen some manga or Manhwa do this. Where they introduce the Mc in the beginning of an arc after they had gone through some kind of transformation to let the reader wonder what happened, and then put the backstory in the middle or end of the arc to show what happened to make them that way.

It seems to me some readers forget Jitae is a child-abuse survivor, an orphan, and his sister was taken away from him. This guy has some really deep trauma going on inside his head. And that's been shown to us. Just because he used to act all "happy-go-lucky" around his friends or in school it doesn't mean he's not suffering. On top of that, he has to embrace the reality his self-nature and beliefs contradict what he has to do in order to become stronger, which is engaging in violence and hurting others in the process.

Right now he's using rage to project a persona that contradicts everything his true self represents, which he now sees as useless and weak. And he can't afford to be that way if he really wants to find his sister. So his copies the behavior of the "strong people" he's encountered thus far, including both Maria and his father.

Dex-chan lover
@cadaver_maneuver I've been posting this for chapters myself. The one thing making this whole thing annoying instead of emotional is we don't know how or when the MC finally snapped. So all we can do is make a bunch of assumptions and excuses for the MC. And everything feels forced because there is not enough ground work for us to say "Yeah, I can understand why he's like that."

People are so silly though and think "Being able to come up with a situation it happened" and "seeing how it happened" are two very very different things when it comes to story quality.

@WillLi to be honest we’re only 7 chapters into ji-tae’s training arc. It’s obvious the Author is going to show what happened before he heads back to the school.

Dex-chan lover
@Grim4531 even if it does happen, that doesn't change that until it happens it kinda ruins everything that we saw before then. We're reading without context essentially until the author decides to show us, if they ever do.

@Grim4531 Let it be. It's pointless trying to explain to some readers why the author isn't showing everything from the beginning because, apparently, the concept of Intrigue is foreign to them. This series doesn't revolve exclusively around fighting, is also a mystery series that constantly keeps the readers guessing about certain plot points until the truth is finally revealed.

What the author is doing right now is not different from what we see in murder mysteries. Showing the death first and then leaving clues as to how happened until the truth is revealed in spectacular fashion. The series has already given us a lot of info and clues about Jitae's trauma. Enough for us to deduce what's happening to him.

Of course, everything falls under the category of deduction/assumption until the story confirms or denies it. But that isn't a bad thing because that's the purpose of mystery writing: to make the readers invested in trying to find the causes as to why "x" thing happened. In that sense, Jitae's change, despite having been built up throughout the story, should feel jarring because he's not being his usual self. So yeah, we won't have the full picture until the reveal happens.

@willLi A good story telling doesn't require an author to explain everything like to a toddler. There are different titles that don't require its readers to use their brains but Fight Class 3 is not one of them. A good story teller lets their readers fill the holes themselves, something you aren't used to, I assume. Try reading a good mystery book and you'll suddenly find yourself with plenty of stories following this trope.

Dex-chan lover
@Keraton This isn't a mystery book dude. At least not a real one, I know it has the tag mystery, but if this is an attempt at a mystery book than that really is bad writing. Also I read plenty of mystery books and this is set up wrong for that as well. Because the MC being crazy isn't the mystery that was proposed to us as the audience. It was just something that happened. See the trick for a mystery is that it has to actually be solvable with information given to the audience or it's not actually a 'mystery' it's just withheld information.

@mylastchance89 Learn what the word intrigue means first before you try to throw shade at people. Because you're using it wrong. Now see above, but long short is that, even if this is marked as a mystery series, the mystery shouldn't be the MC's mental break down, and if it's supposed to be it's still set up wrong. As for the rest of what you said, your entire idea hinges on one thing, that we're actually given the 'why' at some point. If we're not then this turns into just a bunch of withheld information and you can't even pretend to call it a proper mystery. But even if we're given the information later, it still doesn't hold up.

I typed up a bunch of stuff to explain it to you guys but I'll make it simple.

TLDR; Here is an example of why it's important to know why he broke for empathy reasons. Here are two scenarios that could've made him like this, you tell me if they don't drastically change how you feel about the MC if they were true;

1)After he lost to the guy in the street fight Maria was pissed at him not being able to follow through, so in order to get him toughened up, she constantly beat him like his dad used to and toughen him up and showed him even his 'allies' can turn against him if he's weak. and caused him to snap.

2) After losing to the guy he lost several more fights but then one day he accidentally did something he previously would've considered 'cheap' like maybe kicked someone in the crotch by mistake. But he ended up winning. So seeing that 'assholes succeed' he decides to just be an asshole from now on because he can win like that. But since he's not actually like that the stress from the facade and what's going on it just breaking him down more and more.

Now yeah the second scenario isn't 'likely' based on what we know, but both of those would equally explain his current situation but you'd have drastically different feelings about the MC's attitude right now based on which one is true. One also drastically changes our opinion of Maria and adds Stockholm syndrome to one of the issues the MC is facing.

I'm kinda surprised at the hate that this arc is getting. My two cents - even if Jui Ji-Tae's change turns out to be a case of bad writing, the rest is still pretty great, and I fully expect a payoff for the turn based on the writer's ability so far. Unlike so many other comics, the author doesn't just throw old characters or events to the side as the storyline moves to new arcs. Case in point - Random forgettable bully #17 just showed up again and is probably there because of the events earlier in the story. Plus this arc gave us that awesome sewer fight that was interspersed with beach fun which was just 100% *chef's kiss* in any story. Plus the humor's still on-point and the art is God tier, so it'd have to go downhill a whooole lot more before I even think about dropping this.

@maltahawk Is not that is getting hate. In fact, the ratings of the series have been steadily going up for a while. As usually happens, those who are not happy with the direction of the story tend to be more vocal about it than those who are. At the end of the day, taste is subjective, and not everyone has to like the direction of the story. Also, anybody has the right to make criticisms if they feel the need to. The problem is not letting the story develop and the arc to have a proper payoff before demanding explanations. Thus far, every arc has had a proper setup with a great payoff and most developments from earlier arcs have had repercussions for events that came later. So I would hold my horses until this arc gets its payoff before acting as If I already know everything about how this arc is gonna go.

@WillLi In my opinion it doesn’t ruin anything at all. The author is withholding important information to reveal it at a later time in the arc. Instead of showing what happened and jumping right into the action with ji-tae trying to enter the fight club. He did something similar with Maria. Her being the daughter of a famous martial and involment with vale tudo wasn’t shown until later in the story. Ji-tae’s situation isn’t as important as that but the author probably wants it to be a big reveal and for readers to speculate before he actually shows the scene.

I also think Your examples are a good reason for his plummet into insanity. I think ji-tae’s craziness came from his talk with his friend in the hospital. Seeing as she was the one he was talking to during his breakdown about fighting.

Dex-chan lover
@Grim4531 The thing is this is massively different from Maria's arc, as this isn't 'stuff that happened in the past' this is stuff that happened in the story that was skipped over. And I can understand if it doesn't effect you, but for some of us, we're looking at the MC and seeing his asshole behavior and going "Is he like this because of a legitimate reason or did he just turn into an asshole?" so it gets hard to root for him unless he's up against a total scumbag.

@gptemp8916 What you said is pretty much why I see this actually as a problem. Because of how things have gone up until now. The author has been very good about giving us info on people's past when it become relevant, to the point there have been entire chapters dedicated to flash back. Yet, they skipped something like this. Then there's the other trend, that people pretty much don't say anything about time skips in the series. Like they barely even reminisce about things that get time skipped. If we follow those trends then it actually looks like we -won't- get a proper pay out on that, especially when you consider it was a between arcs thing. And we keep going further than further without explanation, I mean we're not at the point that the MC's appearance has physically changed (we saw why) so like symbolically that's like saying he's at the point he can't return anymore, and we haven't even so much as gotten the character's alluding to the event that broke him.

@Maltahawk The problem, at least for me is a problem because everything else is still good. It's like watching a TV show that's all good, but there is this one character that is horribly designed, and annoying, and they -can- be fixed but for some reason they never are. And this character isn't occasional, but shown very frequently, it makes you really frustrated and annoyed with the show because it makes you feel like one thing is dragging down an otherwise good show. This arc -is- good, the art is amazing, and even the character writing is great. It's just this one decision to withhold the event that finally broke the MC that annoys me, especially when we saw so much that didn't break him.

@WillLi I know I’m sounding like a broken record but , Ji-Tate’s training arc is far from over. You really can’t say the author skipped over the backstory of Ji-tae when he might reveal what happened 2-3 chapters from now. As of right now you’re right he might have glossed over the information of ji-tae but , I seriously think he’s going to show what happened in this arc.

Also It may be just me but Ji-tae isn’t being that much of an asshole. Yes he is lashing out against people due to his insecurities ,but I chalk it up to him being a teenager going some trauma right now . Which is also not right, but he really just needs someone to really talk to right now and is just holding all of his emotions in. Because of this I still root for him. I hope in the fight club he finds an older role model to set him straight.

@WillLi at least pretend you know what you're talking about. Just because the MC's sudden character change isn't a part of the mistery tag (the eponymous fight class 3 is), doesn't mean his character change can't be elaborated on later on while still giving us hints with which we can form our theories regarding that. You think in such extremes that it's baffling to read what you say. At least elaborate on your points because "it's set up wrong" and "it's bad writing" with no further explanation just makes you seem less and less credible. There's no substance to your criticism.

Users who are viewing this thread