Fight Class 3 - Vol. 7 Ch. 46 - Round 46: Kang Yuri – Part 2

Dex-chan lover
Things got side-tracked real hard, but this is the first fighting school tournament manga that delve into politics and corruptions. Interesting.

Dex-chan lover
The information in chapter 46 was good, but could've been delivered way better....chapter 45 just wasn't necessary for the story at all...I feel pretty let down, I was so excited to see a double chapter update.

Thanks to the Scanlators for translating and uploading it either way though.

Group Leader
Thanks @WillLi for your kind words.

I'm of the idea that these chapters were intended to be a single chapter but, due to the author's occasional health issues around that time, it was split into two separate short updates. Next time we'll get back to the main plot right were we left off in chapter 44.

Have a nice day.

Dex-chan lover
Well at least there's secondary conflict now, since the Dad's been sidelined heavily for his 'final boss' status.

brah im like gonna stop reading this manga, its been like 30 chapters without seen the mc make any damn progress at all, instead we get a chapter of a girl that no one cares about and is boring lol

Fed-Kun's army
Yo, I just binged all 46 chapters right now and I'm hearing a lot of bitching so let me throw down my 2 cents.

The scope of this manga was set at the beginning as big. Like really fucking big. MC really isn't even the main character. He's a piece that will slowly gain momentum to become a pivotal piece of the puzzle the mangaka is setting up, but the lore of fight class 3, the other fight schools, MC's father, the chairman politics, etc... It just shows that there is more to this manga than "MC trains super hard and beats everyone with training". There are a lot of moving pieces and honestly this is something you have to look at with no expectations. Because this shit is getting ready for the looooooong haul. And at the quality the art and level of research into each fighting style, I'm okay with that.

Its definitely not traditional as the main character really doesn't feel like the main character, more like an introduction character. But since we're still in the 1st ranking tournament, consider that he really isn't the main character, but the person who is going to catch the entire world by surprise when he actually develops. So in order to make that in any way meaningful , we have to establish the world as it is now, and recognize the strength and dedication the people who have been training YEARS more than MC, and how far he really is to even reaching the lowest rung of the ladder. And if Maria, on a revenge mission, couldn't finish the job at her skill level, then there is SOOOO much more to learn about in this universe.

So I'm ready. and happy. Keep translating (if you enjoy it) and bless us with this manga for months or years to come.

@TheStuffedUnicorn

Well, you can't really call fair criticism "bitching" but thats ok. I will tepidly agree that the "scope" was big, but that doesn't really rationalize ignoring the "main character" for the sake of side characters. Its one thing to introduce side aspects of the story like the fight class 3 lore, other schools, etc., but the thing about this is you can do this while still bringing the focus back to your main character. MHA did this pretty well for a couple arcs and it hinted at a lot of future developments while still focusing on Deku. So just cause the scope is big doesn't mean you can't focus on your MC. I do agree with you that at this point, Jiu-tae isn't the main character, but even if we accept your idea that he's " going to catch the entire world by surprise" and for that to be meaningful you have to "establish the world as it is now, and recognize the strength and dedication the people who have been training YEARS more than MC, and how far he really is to even reaching the lowest rung of the ladder" there's actually a really simple way to do this. Have him lose. A lot. As it actually is, our pseudo-MC went 3 rounds with the best striker in his class after probably no more than a month of practicing MMA. Doesn't actually look like he's all that far down, he still has training to do, clearly, but he's obviously special. Second, even if we ignore that, how would you rationalize this scene , and other side developments. Doesn't really look like the author spent time on this character to show how low down the ladder Jiu-tae is from the others. I mean, anyone can go into the octagon and get knocked out in one punch. There's also smaller things like spending pages elaborating on Hero's background story, which is interesting setup for a potential fight, but by this point in the story he's had 0 interaction with Jiu-tae so essentially another character was introduced, and developed, without any involvement by Jiu-tae. Overall, I've previously mentioned this, but if the author wanted to focus more on the entire class rather than one specific character (not named Maria), I don't think introducing Jiu-tae's goals, and then spending 10 chapters preparing him to enter the fight class just to abandon him for a good majority of the remaining chapters was the most economical use of page space. There's a lot of things about Jiu-tae's background that I'm very curious to learn about, like why none of his mother's martial art master friends took Jiu-tae under their wing, but it doesn't seem like that's going to be elaborated on anytime soon.

Oh well, I'll enjoy the art and hope the author gets healthy so the art can return to its early glory.

Double-page supporter
@Amegashi It should also be noted that he learns the crossguard, sprawling, the flying armbar and the heel-hook in two days, (the latter off of youtube without actual proper instruction), and while injured went into a fight with someone who logically should be in the top 100 students of martial arts at his age in the entire country (Dong-Won) and he was being competitive. I agree that his training is coming too fast. It's odd that we've spent 25 or so chapters learning about characters the MC is seemingly going to leapfrog in two months at his current rate. I feel like he should have had some previous martial arts experience before meeting Maria.

That being said, I think his crushing loss to the punk on the roof is a sign that we're going to take this slow. I hope the story takes a page out of Kengan Omega's book, which also had a MC waaay below the skill level of the world he was in and is spending a good 29 (and counting) chapters bringing him up to speed with gruelling training. In particular I think Ji-Tae needs to physically improve, BJJ is all very well but if the other guy is strong enough he can rip his way out of a submission. You need to make sure the strength gap isn't too big to win.

@Sigilbreaker26 Did Jiu-tae lose that roof fight or did he submit because his best friend was getting beat up? I think he would have still lost, but seems to me that he was willing to fight till he died if they didn't start beating up his buddy.

The reason I'm curious about those previous martial arts masters is that I also think Jiu-tae should have had previous martial art experience. His mother was apparently friends with masters, and also had kids with another master. At no point after losing his sister did those masters take Jiu-tae under their wing? I'm very intrigued to learn why this didn't happen. Did they all die?

Double-page supporter
@Amegashi The mother had kids with another master? Who?

Also, no, he got demolished by a judo throw onto concrete. Judo's one of the few martial arts his natural abilities don't counter. His super dynamic vision helps avoid blows, his super joints help him break out of submissions, but Dae-Gak's spunk has nothing for being chucked into a solid surface at full pelt. That nearly knocked him out and then he was reduced to begging them to spare Ok-Dong; it wasn't the other way around.

@Sigbreaker26

I meant Jiuy-gak (is that correct?). I didn’t remember the name so I just said another master, but I meant Jiu -tae’s father.

That’s fair, but the way I was looking at it was that he would have kept fighting till Ok-dong’s safety was on the line.

Edit: Dae-gak

Double-page supporter
@Amegashi

Judging from his dad's reaction, I'm guessing Ji-Tae was just a pussy growing up (in fairness, as an eight year old or whatever) so his dad just gave up on ever training him and went for his sister instead.

Either that or his sister got genes he didn't. One of my pet theories is that Maria is his half-sister and another child of Dae-Gak, and that's why she has the muscle flexion gene, and that his sister (Hyun something) has both Ji-Tae's eyes and double-jointedness and Maria's muscle flexion.

Either way I just don't think he ever had an aptitude or enthusiasm for martial arts growing up - which does make it all the stranger that he's basically picking up skills by magic now.

@Sigbreaker26

That’s definitely possible, though seeing how fast he picked up the punch form he has some aptitude.

One of the things that’s weird for me is that when Maria said he can find his dad by learning mma and entering the fight class, jiu-Rae immediately agree to start training. So he got enthusiasm by learning where his sister is, and for years he’s been putting up lost and found signs for his sister. Did he ever ask one of those masters if they knew where his father is? I find it hard to believe only Maria knew his father was in fight class 3. If those masters knew, makes sense to me they would have told him “you have to learn my martial art to reach him”, but idk. Might just have to wait for that answer.

EDIT: I mention all this because it doesn't seem to me that motivation prevented Jiu-tae from learning martial arts since Maria inspired him to do it just by mentioning his sister, maybe fear? I dont think that's right either because if it was childhood trauma I would expect that to still hold him back. All in all I don't understand why he never learned martial arts before the story's start and I hope the author elaborates on this at some point in the future. As is, everything seems a little too coincidental.

Double-page supporter
@Amegashi I think the thing is, he had no reason to know he had to know martial arts. It's not like Abyss Rage where the protagonist has no other way of revenge but learning martial arts, or Baki where the protagonist has already had a massive training in martial arts before the need for revenge cropped up (though you could apply that to Abyss Rage as well to be fair).

Until he found out that Fight Class 3 and its secret vale tudo fights were what was hiding Dae-Gak (for whatever reason) the MC never had a motive to actually learn martial arts. (Yes, he has an interest before then but that's because Maria is promising a way to find his sister and is just being sketchy with the details while still making it clear that she's going to teach him martial arts). It's not like when that sort of thing happens to you your first thought is "I'm going to dedicate my life to martial arts so I can kill that person in hand-to-hand combat as opposed to with a gun or knife" unless you've already got that sort of mentality and Ji-Tae definitely does not.

That being said, all this plotting is slightly undone by the MC's reaction to finding out that BJJ has a reputation for allowing smaller fighters to beat bigger ones (which is highly debatable but I digress) when he has a sudden image of Dae-Gak. Though you could plausibly argue that that reaction was just a flash in the pan.

Users who are viewing this thread