Fight Class 3

Was this dropped by the scan group? Or is it just an hiatus from the author?

@shase It looks like the raws are up to chapter 80. I do hope the scan group has not abandoned it and are just taking a small break.

To everyone: no they did not abandon the manga they simply do this in their own free time sometimes they have more time to work on it and other times they don’t life is hectic if you wanna stay updated and even get spoilers if that’s your thing join the discord group

Group Leader
To those worried about the state of the scanlation:

Rest assured, we haven't dropped the series. Chapters 77 and 78 are already cleaned/redrawn. However, we're in dire need of a Korean translator in order to resume our work as soon as possible. To whoever is interested in working on the series with us on, feel free to message me or join the group's discord server. You can find the link on the group page: https://mangadex.org/group/5540

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Wtf happened to this dudes personality? Like it didnt give us an explanation as to why he changed so hard. Like he went from his usual self lost a fight then boom next chapter hes a completely different guy. Like author give us a chapter about his mentality switch before the actual shift.

Okay. This is to no one in particular.

People used to complain about the mc being a pussy even though he had no experience fighting. Then people complained about the focus not being on him even though this is a school setting and there’s a lot to get through so it can’t just be focused on him since the world and the characters need to be explored and set up for better execution. People complained about the plot even though it’s one of Korea webtoons most popular front- page works with an average of 9.62/10 stars. And it’s an internationally sold manhwa. Then people complained about him not being able to beat the bullies, even though he hadn’t been in fight class for even a semester yet. Then people complained about eunsol withdrawing her match even though it made perfect sense and only showed off her intelligence. Then people complained about the fights not making sense, even though they do. Then people complained about how the manhwa doesn’t focus on fighting styles enough even though this a MMA series so traditional styles are being incorporated into current MMA, but it’s still MMA based. People complained about how Maria shouldn’t have been able to beat Hamin because Hamin had a better game plan even though it was explicitly stated that she is the strongest and her strength was technically explained. People complained about jitae going around picking fights even though it’s the only way to provide him with experience. People complained about him leaving his friends behind even though they don’t belong in such a violent world and jitae doesn’t want to endanger them. People complained about the morality behind all of this even though he’s trying to save his sister and normal means and morality won’t cut it. People complained about Maria picking fights even though she has to for her goal of making jitae stronger. People complained about her being so brutal and her hospitalising young woong even though he opened his mouth and said disrespectful things. People complained about Maria being mean to jitae even though he needed to toughen up if he was going to survive. Now people are complaining about jitae changing his personality even though the trauma he’s been through more than justifies the change. People are also complaining about them not seeing the lead up to that change even though chapter 72 exist. Literally every...single...complaint can be answered and superseded by actually thinking about the story and paying actual attention as opposed to skimming over it and then asking stupid questions.

This is to all those people who complain. Having an informed opinion based on your specific reading of the manhwa is fine, bitching about plot points you don’t understand because you were too lazy to actually read the story is not. We’re at chapter 77, if your confused...it’s because you read with your eyes closed.
Go back
To chapter 1
And read again

The explanation is present through out the entire series.

What happens is that Ji-tae's "crazy violent" side has always been a part of him. In fact it's been shown to us in almost every single fight of his, except for the one he lost in the school tournament.

During the entrance test he gives into his blood lust and almost breaks the other dude's leg. When fighting the bullies, he wanted to hurt them really bad and break the other dude's arm. The first time he fought in the streets he raged to the point of beating the hell out of that random thug. And when fighting Young-joon, for a moment he thought about stabbing him with the broken glass on the floor.

The contradiction of his character is that he constantly repeats to himself that he hates violence and that he doesn't understand why people enjoy fighting. At the same time, the thing this guy wants the most is finding his sister. Fighting is the means to fulfilling that wish.

So, while rejecting the idea of violence because of the fear he might end up becoming like his father, he tried to get stronger by staying true to his beliefs. However, no matter how much effort he put and how much progress he made, he always ended up on the losing side when it mattered the most. At the same time, the more he got into fighting the more his "violent side" showed up.

The fight in the alley, where he got his nose broken by Young-joon and his ego destroyed by Maria, was his breaking point. The hospital scene shows him willing to let go of his beliefs and all his concerns about fighting because he can't allow himself to be weak if he wants to be reunited with his sister.

But this isn't a complete transformation since that side was already a part of him. He just gave up on rejecting that side of him because he needs it in order to become stronger. Running away from violence won't help him find his sister so he decided to embrace it, even if that means discarding his mental sanity and his personal beliefs in the process.

In short, a chapter about his "mentality switch" isn't needed because that mentality was always part of him and now has simply taken over.
@EpicLazy

@Starstorm1 Thank you for the honest comment, it really made my day but what would make it even better is if somebody complained about your comment as well(Which won't happen because if these people skimmed through a whole Manhwa imagine what they'd do to a comment).
What they do is disrespectful towards the Creator, they make it look like as if in each chapter he was just splashing ink on a paper(Well pixels on a screen but you get what I'm saying) without thinking and ignore all the buildup he's been doing and how much effort he made to make this series realistic(Which is hard btw when it comes to this theme) but they sure do know how to complain.

@Kaleno2075
Thanks. I think what annoys me isn’t the fact that they complain but more with the fact that they complaints make no sense. If they paid attention to what they were reading then had an opinion about the plot then that’s okay because at least they know what they’re talking about, but people are just bitching about issues that are only issues because they didn’t read the story properly.

@Starstorm1 yeah and guess what is the most complained about subject? Ji-tae's growth and changes, it's like everything he does becomes an incomprehensible act which shows that most of them skimmed through the chapters or didn't even try to understand the story hence the baseless complaints.

Pro-tip. Learn what a paragraph is and make use of it. Also, quit with the fucking gatekeeping. People are free to express their opinion without having to through a reader purity test. If the opinion seems uninformed refute it on those ground but "You didnt read it!" isn't an actual retort.

The textual support of his sudden change is basically non-existent. There is minor and persistent textual support for an escalation of his violent tendences but there is no convincing trigger event for him suddenly descending into psychopathy. Being injured and Maria being mean to him have happened numerous times. The scene in the hospital was him expressing his helplessness and vulnerability to one of his only friends literally nothing about it implied that it was him deciding it was "Time for a bit of the old ultra-violence." "He's his father's son" is an equally unconvincing excuse because a) violence isn't a genetic inheritance and b) the story hasn't put in the legwork to make it convincing.

Is there some textual support for Ji-tae's bizarre behaviour change? Sure. Is it convincing? In my opinion no. Especially taken in the larger context of the series' persistent but relatively slow plot development this feels like too sudden a shift. It's jarring and frankly unsatisfying as a narrative development. Not only is it unsatisfying in its own right it make Ji-tae less interesting as a character overall. There's no depth or nuance to him now he's just "Wild Maria 2.0." There's no contrast now between him and his inevitable confrontation with his father (and no doubt his now super martial artist little sister). It's just two violent people beating the balls of one another. Boring. Personally I'll be sticking the series on hold until its finished. The post results chapters have all been pretty boring IMO, its turned into a weird "tournament fight" arc in a ruined industrial estate? At least the school stuff had some relevance to the overall plot.
Also, give it a rest with the laughable "disrespecting the author" nonsense. An author isnt a sacrosanct being free of any criticism, just like any text isn't.
Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Okay Uthred, I’m assuming you’re talking to me.
I’ll split my text up since it’s obviously difficult to understand for you.
Let’s break it down.
1) gatekeeping? Interesting phrase and honestly I have to agree. I am a gatekeeper. But guess what, people are allowed to express their opinions right? And if mine just so happens to be in defence of 2hakkk’s work then what’s the problem. We’re all allowed to be “gatekeepers” of some sort are we not. You don’t get to tell me what my opinions should be or how many times I can express them. Am I not allowed to say anything. If the idea your trying (because it is an attempt, your execution and logic is off) to explain is that people should allowed to criticise because it’s their right to express opinions. So why are you trying to shut me down. You’re essentially being a gatekeeper, just playing for the opposite side. Pro tip: learn what hypocrisy is and make sure your argument doesn’t stink of it.

2)Again with your weak logic, let me explain something to you: to be uninformed on a piece of work, be it a book or manhwa/manga means you don’t know enough about it, the events, character etc. If you don’t know enough then the implication is that you should read again in order to increase or solidify your understanding. Me telling someone that they’re uninformed about the manhwa is the exact same as me telling them to read it again. “Your point is uninformed”=“you don’t know enough”. “You should read again”=“you should go back to the text because you don’t know enough” . Either way, I’m telling someone they don’t know enough.

3)the lack of a trigger/not enough evidence to support jitaes change. Let’s imagine, you have a family. A mum, a sister and a dad. Your mum gets sick and dies, your dad shows up out of nowhere (psychopathic monster) kidnaps the only family you have left and brutally assaults you, leaving a constant reminder of your failure to protect the only family still by your side. And oh, this all happens on the day you’re burying your mother. Your dad tells you that your useless and your left thinking that youre weak. No one can refute it, because you’re alone. You lost your mum, your sister and any respect/relationship you had with your dad...all in the same day....at about 7/8 years old. That’s what jitae is working with.

3.5)Now maybe just maybe, he was already starting to descend from that point. Maybe that was his trigger event. You talk about lack of evidence, let’s talk about evidence. The moment his sister is mentioned he violently lunges at Maria in ch2. When confronted the possibility of failure in the entrance exam, he has a long flashback where an image of him bloodied up tells him that’s hes “still “ useless. The “still” implies that he’s opinion of himself hasn’t changed since that day....8 years ago. He’s hated himself for 8 years straight, that little boy has grown up with the mentality that he is weak. He starts off quite moral not wanting Maria to hurt dong won which sets up the dilemma he’ll have to face: morals vs goals. He then loses nearly every fight he’s in and is thrusted into a situation that he’s barely able to fathom, the fight class. He’s constantly reminded through matches and exercise that he’s WEAK. He loses against the bullies because he’s WEAK. He has to watch the ranking matches because he’s WEAK. The cheque him and Maria has to live on is little because he’s WEAK. We get these constant reminders that jitae doesn’t feel useful, that his degrading self image hasn’t chsnged. And realise that the more and more he loses, the more he abandons his justice, it goes from shoving Maria, to him thinking about getting Maria to violently attack his classmates, to him using a phone to crack another kids nose, to him violently beating up thugs to him contemplating whether or not to stab another student to him brutalising everyone in his path. We are being presented with a teen who’s weakness is the centre of all his problems, so obviously he’s going to do whatever it takes to get away from that.

4)“Suddenly”? He’s been snowballing, his mental health has been snowballing because he’s a kid who’s having to fight with his life on the line in order to rescue his sister from the man who tore his family apart. There was nothing sudden about his snap. The hospital scene wasn’t supposed to stand alone, the concept of uselessness and weakness has been explored since the first chapter. It wasn’t supposed to be standalone evidence that jitae was changing, it was supposed to help add to the already huge evidence that jitae has changing since the start, because jitae doesn’t like himself and wants to change.

5)The level of “mean” that Maria was to jitae in 71 was something we had never seen before, we’ve seen her scold him or challenge his justice but never been cruel, to call him “pathetic” , to embarrass him. It was clearly stated that he viewed her as a mum so to hear another parent figure imply that he was useless would obviously only help push him down and down the road he’s already on.

6) No depth. Just “wild Maria”.Because Maria also has huge amounts of depth but obviously that flew right over your head. She’s had to fight her way through the slums and see her family get brutality murdered and not be able to do anything. She, just like jitae, had her family stolen from her. And just like jitae, she had to get stronger. Her whole life has been a battlefield, she’s suffers from obvious ptsd and has to work with the son of the man who’s responsible. She’s barely an adult and she has to deal with all of this in the same way that jitae has to deal with all the previously mentioned problems. So whether jitae is becoming like Maria or not, depth is still there. Now you’re implying that all of the issues explored in jitae aren’t enough to grant him depth. That’s a really dumb and ignorant thing to say, because you’re implying that his problems aren’t big enough to grant him depth. This new jitae is an embodiment of him hating himself, with him doing anything (even lying about trival things like weightlifting) because he doesn’t want to look weak. Against, the idea of weak is being targeted. There is evidence, you just haven’t read the manhwa or better yet, you’re too stupid to get it. If you’re not able to understand the complexity behind jitae that’s fine, be unsatisfied. But don’t pretend to know more than you do or understand more than you. You’re embarrassing yourself.

6.5) “just two violent people beating the balls of one another”. It’s such a beautiful way of saying that you haven’t read or understood the story.

P.s) if you have an opinion towards someone specifically, then mind your manners because you just across as rude. I was rude too In my original comment but that was to a group of nameless people.

Protip: make sure your points make sense and that you’re informed in your argument, especially when you’re rude to someone. If you’re not, which you weren’t, you just come across as weak.

Just gonna throw in my 2 cents here:

I do think that Jitae's edgy phase is justified but not well transitioned into. In my opinion, 2hakkk could've added a scene or a fight where he was so utterly desperate and in despair to see his sister that he would resort to anything to get her back. That would help emphasize why he would go against his nature, his friends, his trauma, and just fight because he MUST fight to get to even meet his father, let alone even see his sister. So tying the events, the hospital scene is where he thinks "I hate doing all of this, I hate it so much but I have to meet my sister" and the next important fight/scene symbolizes the will to "do whatever I have to do, despite who I am". Then I would feel his edginess would be a lot easier to digest.

On the other hand, I also think that if you put yourself in his shoes while reading the story, you might have felt his desperation long ago, which is why I think the author transitioned the way he did. Jitae has been out of his comfort zone since the beginning, and he'd do it in a heartbeat for his sister (recall his first scuffle with Maria). Next, he joined a class of fighters (despite him hating violence) only to be met with dislike and apathy because of how he got in and being tied to Maria. Then he ate so many L's and got humiliated a bunch of times. The end result is, as one of the workout brothers put it: "He is unhinged".

Losing non-stop, cutting off his healthy support system (the two friends), feeling alone in a class of fighters, feeling incompetent and weak, fighting despite hating violence, the need to get strong quickly, and the void of loneliness when his only remaining family was taken away from him, all of these heavy feelings culminating in a kind kid whose been told to fight and win. He's unhinged, yes, but how else can he move forward right now? Just being himself won't be enough to save his sister, and she's matters to him the most.

Users who are viewing this thread