Fool Night - Vol. 8 Ch. 66 - Central

Dex-chan lover
That big reveal reminded me of Zorndyke from Blue Submarine No.6.
arsJCuZ.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Will you continue to translate or are you planning to stop now that you've caught up to official translations?

Dex-chan lover
Hahahaha bro what? Notorious psychopath Dr Kudai actually has the social awareness and desire to make society a better place?

And once again the transfloration institute and its supporters keep getting even more evil

Luckily for them, this revelation gave them 2 new powerful excuses, the "central are the bigger bad guys " and the "we didn't knew about central" to deflect responsibility, however keep very in mind that these new excuses only work against new accusations, old accusations involving the protection of the human furniture trafficking business, the systematic support of a ghetto, the institutionalized creation, support, and protection of a predatory machine under the pretext of survival while actively ignoring alternatives independently of Central influence but by their own ideology

All of those things are evils endemic to the Transfloration Institute and its workforce, and they can't really be put on Central

Supporter
Wait, I thought Yomiko was the one who transflorated Toushirou? I’ll have to re-read the first few chapters. Anyhow, we have a new mission now, and there are more futures available. And something more concrete to blame.

As for notorious psychopath Dr Kudai, I can see it being in character to pursue a future for humanity purely for selfish reasons, like pride or spite.

Supporter
Thanks for all the translations! I started reading it on viz, then was disappointed to see the big chapter gap, so was super happy to see someone was filling it in. It's been one heck of a ride going through these recent ones all at once, too, so thanks for putting them all out so quickly!

Contributor
This'll be the last update!
Thanks for all you’ve done for us!

The official Viz release, for anyone interested. Technically the Viz Manga subscription is available only in countries they operate out of (USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand), but there are Vome Perfectly Normal ways to access it otherwise. I’ve even heard some have had success just downloading the correct Viz app on their phone and then accessing it wherever they go, though I can’t guarantee it’ll work for everyone.

This'll be the last update!
Ah, shame. the official release in my country is still far behind (Volume 1 releases in July and then every 3 months afterwards for now it seems).
Well, still thank you for your work up to this point, I'm excited to see what's gonna happen next, even if I will only see it in 2 years or so.

Dex-chan lover
Hahahaha bro what? Notorious psychopath Dr Kudai actually has the social awareness and desire to make society a better place?

And once again the transfloration institute and its supporters keep getting even more evil

Luckily for them, this revelation gave them 2 new powerful excuses, the "central are the bigger bad guys " and the "we didn't knew about central" to deflect responsibility, however keep very in mind that these new excuses only work against new accusations, old accusations involving the protection of the human furniture trafficking business, the systematic support of a ghetto, the institutionalized creation, support, and protection of a predatory machine under the pretext of survival while actively ignoring alternatives independently of Central influence but by their own ideology

All of those things are evils endemic to the Transfloration Institute and its workforce, and they can't really be put on Central
I liked your posts in those threads, but I don't really fully agree with them. I'm not sure how much of the existing setup can be put on transfloration institute workers and even bosses, considering that they have to work as a part of a bigger society and government system, and in times of crisis with threat of extinction over them making victimizing some people almost a necessity for survival (it's hard to imagine transfloration working on only willing sacrifices without system turning abusive), and with little power to or knowledge of easy way to change the society for better.

I was born in a People's Republic, and while it was system forced on us by USSR, with Red Army as its guarantor and guardian, and while not as dystopian as in this story, still a cruel system which even in later times has tortured and executed at least some opposition activists, and sent uniformed thugs armed with guns to brutally squash protests. It was still normal for people to work for this system, and while people often disliked and mocked the police, (sorry, militia, police was for capitalists), especially ZOMO, they also often treated policemen as something necessary for holding peace and protecting against crimes. Same with other jobs that were part of the oppressive machine of Party - we had to keep country running somehow, so it was a bit shameful, some people were more principled and proud and were getting severe handicaps for that, most weren't, some were trying to be as much of opposition as it was kinda allowed - or sometimes more and suffered for it - but I don't think it was treated seen as automatically evil if you were part of the Party machine.

What I want to say is that while I think kid was definitely innocent victim of the system, and that "bad guys" certainly have some good criticisms, even if it's also true that main opposition guy was to some degree a hypocrite in the recent discussion with Yomiko (we can't sacrifice innocent people - until I do it, then it's necessary), I don't think we can call Transfloration Institute folks necessarily evil. We don;t know if they have anything to do with creating the ghetto in the first place, or with how it's run by cruel gangsters - it seems like government policy, and security forces' job, which they explicitly aren't part of, and the fact that rich people in the city buy human furniture and probably support the existing system can be simply something Institute is unable to change on its own. They know they have to transflorate people for humanity to survive, at least by now, and they aren't part of the government proper, they can't decide or change how "willing sacrifices" are chosen. It was also implied that opposition severely oversells the paths to stop relying on transfloration as part of their PR, and MC's side knows that. Only geniuses like Kudai and unknown person can find better way, and they're hiding from Central.

I'd put as most evil people the Central, the government for allowing the ghetto to be created the way it was and for sending people there (probably part of the Central anyway), the thugs running the Austercity for oppressing its people, and I'd add rich people for buying unnecessary luxury items created from oppression and creating market for it (just like blood diamonds).

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Thank you so much for your work and introducing me to this manga. I would have never picked it up from Viz without starting here to get a feel for whether I liked it enough to pay money for it.

Dex-chan lover
I liked your posts in those threads, but I don't really fully agree with them. I'm not sure how much of the existing setup can be put on transfloration institute workers and even bosses, considering that they have to work as a part of a bigger society and government system, and in times of crisis with threat of extinction over them making victimizing some people almost a necessity for survival (it's hard to imagine transfloration working on only willing sacrifices without system turning abusive), and with little power to or knowledge of easy way to change the society for better.

I was born in a People's Republic, and while it was system forced on us by USSR, with Red Army as its guarantor and guardian, and while not as dystopian as in this story, still a cruel system which even in later times has tortured and executed at least some opposition activists, and sent uniformed thugs armed with guns to brutally squash protests. It was still normal for people to work for this system, and while people often disliked and mocked the police, (sorry, militia, police was for capitalists), especially ZOMO, they also often treated policemen as something necessary for holding peace and protecting against crimes. Same with other jobs that were part of the oppressive machine of Party - we had to keep country running somehow, so it was a bit shameful, some people were more principled and proud and were getting severe handicaps for that, most weren't, some were trying to be as much of opposition as it was kinda allowed - or sometimes more and suffered for it - but I don't think it was treated seen as automatically evil if you were part of the Party machine.

What I want to say is that while I think kid was definitely innocent victim of the system, and that "bad guys" certainly have some good criticisms, even if it's also true that main opposition guy was to some degree a hypocrite in the recent discussion with Yomiko (we can't sacrifice innocent people - until I do it, then it's necessary), I don't think we can call Transfloration Institute folks necessarily evil. We don;t know if they have anything to do with creating the ghetto in the first place, or with how it's run by cruel gangsters - it seems like government policy, and security forces' job, which they explicitly aren't part of, and the fact that rich people in the city buy human furniture and probably support the existing system can be simply something Institute is unable to change on its own. They know they have to transflorate people for humanity to survive, at least by now, and they aren't part of the government proper, they can't decide or change how "willing sacrifices" are chosen. It was also implied that opposition severely oversells the paths to stop relying on transfloration as part of their PR, and MC's side knows that. Only geniuses like Kudai and unknown person can find better way, and they're hiding from Central.

I'd put as most evil people the Central, the government for allowing the ghetto to be created the way it was and for sending people there (probably part of the Central anyway), the thugs running the Austercity for oppressing its people, and I'd add rich people for buying unnecessary luxury items created from oppression and creating market for it (just like blood diamonds).
There are 2 big points that make it so that the transfloration institute and those protecting it can't get away by using their predatory system under the excuse of it being a necessary evil, and as necessity it thus offers a good service

The first one is that it is not a necessity, the primary argument behind the anti transfloration movement was the installation and development of technology to stop being dependent on transfloration, for Hikasa this is his artificial sun, and from Kudai is the new transflorated humans like Ivi, for them both the current system is not a necessity, but their solutions differ and even oppose each other

The second one is that even within the permissible framework of it being a necessity, it developed itself by segregating people and creating a second class citizenship to be abused, but these social segregations are not a necessity for the system to work, it is an artificial construct that exist to supply comfort to the ones in a privileged position, more over Central doesn't cares about anyone outside of central, and in fact plans and hopes for everyone outside of Central to become a plant, so this part of the system is all on the Transfloration Institute that organized itself in this particular way

With these 2 things in mind, the workers become complicit in the sham because they have been made aware of both the fact that there are ways to survive without being dependent on the Transfloration Institute, and that current version of the Transfloration Institute is not even the ideal one

However they choose to protect the status quo, not because it is necessary, not because it is good, but because it is convenient, and they want to protect the commodities that they achieved within the system that they already know is both evil and is not really necessary

Users who are viewing this thread