[Forum] Deleting Line Break If You Delete Something in the Next Line

Group Leader
I was going to make this thread, but its already here.

It's honestly so irratating that pressing backspace remove line breaks on lines that are not even selected.

I have this issue on both chrome and firefox. So it's definitely not a browser/local issue.

Contructing an organized forum post here as is, is a pain. Not sure how others are dealing with it.

Dex-chan lover
Not quite sure what you mean on this topic, but I am using the desktop format. :thonk:
Isn't it normal to have to use Enter to get the sentence to break or skip a line in this word processor format?
And typing backspace undos the Enter line break? :huh:

Dex-chan lover
Not quite sure what you mean on this topic, but I am using the desktop format. :thonk:
Isn't it normal to have to use Enter to get the sentence to break or skip a line in this word processor format?
And typing backspace undos the Enter line break? :huh:
I believe it's specifically referring to line breaks created using Shift + Enter. On a lot of messaging/social apps, it's a way to start a new line without sending the message (which is usually done by hitting Enter). Outside of that context, it's often used as a way to specifically insert a line break instead of a paragraph break (in html terms, this inserts a <br /> tag instead of wrapping the preceding text block in <p> tags) which can be useful on sites whose word processors format those with different spacing (with the line break having the same spacing as is found between two normal lines of text, and the paragraph break having a slightly wider gap).

Even if there's no specific reason to use the Shift + Enter method of spacing on this site, it's still a habit that a lot of people have gotten into from other places, and it's very strange that the break it creates gets stripped out once you delete a character on the new line.

I've definitely run into this issue a lot, though it's worth noting that it only happens if you insert two or more line breaks, since if you don't it doesn't actually have any whitespace to strip out.

Dex-chan lover
Even if there's no specific reason to use the Shift + Enter method of spacing on this site, it's still a habit that a lot of people have gotten into from other places, and it's very strange that the break it creates gets stripped out once you delete a character on the new line.
Yeah I've gotten used to both situations.
On Discord and in Teams you have to use Shift+Enter to line break, or it takes off prematurely.
In MS Word Enter or Shift+Enter varies the size of the gap between lines.
In the forum Enter just ends and creates a new line or skips a line.
But in some cases using a emote changes the spacing in a bit unpredictable manner at times.

Users who are viewing this thread