[Forum] Reaction spam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff
Super Moderator
@Remocracy just had a situation where his magical internet points vanished and went to -214 at the time of this post. Regardless if this is abuse (I argue it's not), we should find a solution to this so further magical internet point loss doesn't happen

Here are a few solutions that could solve this problem:
  • limit accounts to only be able to react x times a day (credits to @Zephyrus)
  • limit the reactions one user account can add to another user, e.g. x reactions in x time (credits to me)
  • shadow yeet the magical internet points added or deducted by the reactions (and maybe even the reactions itself) if the user is detected to be spamming them (also important for upvote bots) (credits to me)

What should be done about post upvote and downvote spam could be solved with this too, but I think it should be handled differently

Reply with other solutions if you have one.

Collection of your solutions:
  • user weight for reactions (#2)
  • to lower a score => lower your score at the same time (#4)
  • Replace the counter with a face whose emotion changes depending on the proportion of negative to positive points one has. (#7)
  • reaction score should not be public [...], removing the points altogether (#14)
  • remove them, and maybe only show the score of specific comments. (#15)
  • you can only give “magical internet points” after you yourself has been given the points (#20)
  • "one account should be able to influence the reaction score of another account by at most one point" (#26)
  • "wipe at the end of the month with top 10 and last 10 people shown. [...] MD could also integrate trophies in this system so said people will be awarded something." (#29)
  • "'reaction score' could just be renamed to 'monthly reaction score'" (#32)
  • "The points are a mistake. The scores shouldn't exist, all the reactions should give 0 points." (#34)
  • "You need at least a few generic [rules]" (#45)
  • "either completely remove the reaction/point system, or to remove all negative reactions" (#47)
  • "reactions being kept on the posts themselves and not applied to the user" (#49)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
to the original topic of this thread, i think one possible solution would be to just change the values of the negative reactions to +0 instead. it's arguably not ideal but is a pretty simple change and would definitely get rid of the effects of anyone spam-reacting to tank a user's score, as well as save moderators the trouble of revoking someone's reaction ability.

Dex-chan lover
to the original topic of this thread, i think one possible solution would be to just change the values of the negative reactions to +0 instead. it's arguably not ideal but is a pretty simple change and would definitely get rid of the effects of anyone spam-reacting to tank a user's score, as well as save moderators the trouble of revoking someone's reaction ability.
Yeah I agree and I suppose if there is a way to have the negative reactions put in a private database for the mods to browse through to see whether there are actual cyberbullies, and troublemakers in need of discipline mixed in with the regular run of the mill :poop: posters.

Double-page supporter
People actually crying about their fake internet points and "cyberbullying". 2023 society
1x

tyler.png

Dex-chan lover
The golden state of the Mangadex forums/comments were when there was no Likes/Reactions/Scores. Staff asked years ago on if they should add one and a good portion of the community were firmly against it. Afterwards, Staff never had to worry about such issues that result from the "voting" feature. Unfortunately, Staff decided to ignore previous decision and introduce it, causing the issues we see now.

I don't personally see anything fun about the "voting" feature. I had my fun by reading people's written comments and the images/smiles they posted. Why can't we just stick with that? Why does there need to be Likes/Reactions? The negatives outweigh the positives even if you hide behind the notion of "It's just magical points bro" as that view isn't shared by others.

Dex-chan lover
A site I'm on handles it like this: You can give negative votes, but if the system detects you spamming the vote, you get temporarily banned for downvote spamming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread